Microsoft and Linux

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Microsoft and Linux

Post by Pjotr »

mach50 wrote:
Pjotr wrote:
mach50 wrote:if it comes from microsoft its bad if it comes from ubuntu its not better , and every thing that use ubuntu is it linux mint or whatver is not better two , debain is the best nodoubt , what is good about ubuntu lol nothing they are standing stil in development and they are see alot more than you think ,
alot of people thinks that deepin have spyware but they have none , if you ask me ubuntu have alot more lol
Nonsense and spreading of FUD. Stop it.
oo my good men this are no nonsense but the true
Prove it or shut up.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Elementary dear Watson,

Window$ ... gnu/Linux. Can sum it up in very few words, one stinks ... the other is AWESOME. :P As for Mint being based off ubuntu. Keep in mind you have the competent efforts and integrity of LM HQ's devs and maintainers to act as a buffer between you as the end-user and ubuntu as done by Canonical Inc. Less bugs, better stability, user-friendliness, higher degree of trust that they'll listen to and protect Mint's userbase. At least that's my opinion on the subject.

So hands down given the choice between them, am still totally confident in using or recommending LM main editions. Whereas would be far less so doing likewise with the other. Not that I doubt buntu LTS can be tamed and run great for a semi-skilled nixer using it either, shrugs.

Left with no choice, if all the gazillion distro's disappeared and it came down to Ubuntu or window$, hands down ubuntu. Though personally would go with the buntu minimal install media, install an absolute minimal base OS and then build it out as I prefer from there.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Let's just say I'm extremely wary of Microsoft and in no way do I believe all this 'Microsoft loves Linux' propaganda that is being spread.

I am also somewhat wary of Canonical. They are too pally with Microsoft for my liking.
mach50

Post by mach50 »

lmintnewb2 wrote:Elementary dear Watson,

if ubuntu is so smart why the use gnome whoehaha

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1i7jAtHcw4

why there is allready a ubuntu 18 i allready have test the alpha thrashh how trustfull can you trust ubuntu
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Pointless response, still gonna reply anyway.

Reread my post, there are TONS of ways to opt out of gnome3 or whichever with Ubuntu. Provided you have some general knowledge and skill in using gnu/Linux. To change out or use alternatives to be anything you want other than the default packages and config's Ubuntu chooses for people using it out-of-box. Being gnu/Linux ... still consider buntu to have plenty of potential and to be a superior operating system to window$ for anything I use a personal operating system for.

Not trying to get any debate of this type going either. This post constitutes my personal experience and sum total of gnu/Linux know how, that I've managed to come by in almost 7yrs of constant use of the platform. Ubuntu CAN be whatever x-enduser wants it to be, Linux Mint ( whichever version to the greatest extent the same. Though I do have a great deal more faith and trust in Mint HQ's practices vs Canonical.) Applies to anything good gnu/Linux from all I've tried and learned, shrugs.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

mach50 wrote:if ubuntu is so smart why the use gnome whoehaha

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1i7jAtHcw4

why there is allready a ubuntu 18 i allready have test the alpha thrashh how trustfull can you trust ubuntu
Confused nonsense is not an argument.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Ill chime in here from my years of experience.

Windows has adopted Canonical. Canonical thinks this is great. Iam not so naive. Never ever trust M$. Their Win10 for me is a total failure just like Win8 and Vista. Their server software has been outflanked even by linux. M$ is concentrating on collecting your personal information and selling it. Canonical isnt much different but they are on a smaller scale than M$ as they have a much smaller market share.

I trust LM along with the rest of the open source crowd. Im a total supporter of Linux and I think LM is a great accomplishment. I use it as my daily driver every day and for almost all my systems. I run a few servers that do CentOS and thats about it.

As for posting this FUD "if ubuntu is so smart why the use gnome whoehaha" just shows the total ignorance of the poster and the poster should be ignored. There are many flavors out there that run gnome. Abet, Different versions but they do. Just posting this smacks of trolling.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^ Further pointless observation to add to this. Still yep ... going to do it anyway. Ubuntu also has to contend with open source code and FOSS etc licenses in the software they use. Thus unlike M$, which can hide who know's what in their closed source, strictly in-house designed operating system and software. Canonical Inc has no choice but to work with MUCH greater transparency, so much less chance of doing sleazy things and not getting busted and discredited if they were to get too far out of line with it.

Imo ( well more like I 100% know), not that there aren't many ways to stash or config stuff in gnu/Linux that would be totally unappreciated were it to come to light. Say something like how the kernel or other junk associated with the distro has been patched, this ... that etc. Could very well be far less likely anyone is truly going to go through the trouble of intimately examining every piece of the distro and auditing it down to it's lowest levels.

Canonical Inc still has many people watching it and a HUGE userbase to account to if they were to do something and/or get caught doing something too inappropriate. The whole Unity ordeal had me rolling around on the floor laughing butt off. Any 1/2 competent nixer could've just removed it, installed and config'ed their DE/WM of choice and gotten on with their lives. Still though it was a boon to LM, as people mass defected fleeing unity to this (imo much better gnu/Linux distro). So I didn't bother being very vocal in pointing out how silly those users were being. Plus stuff like MATE/Cinnamon emerging from it too ? With gnome3 and etc. Rather than shoving a particular DE down it's users throats. So overall win, win ... win and WIN for nixers everywhere !

Last time I checked (distrowatch), Linux Mint's still #1, still #1 .. still #1 !!!! :D Gooooooooo MINT !
Madmogone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Madmogone »

Hi all, Just thought I would put my two penneth worth into the discussion.I am not saying that anyone is spying on us (except M/s) of course, but I have just read in one of the linux mags that canoical has teamed up with microsoft to create a Linux-Azure kernel for Ubuntu Cloud images of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS running on microsofts Azure platform.Further list of features are available at http://bit.ly/2xT42kf. It does make one wonder just where Canoical are heading. Would love to hear other peoples take on this news.Cheers all.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Be gentle with me

Post by Hoser Rob »

bob466 wrote:
majpooper wrote:Years ago I flagged on the Ubuntu forum by a mod for referring to Windows as Windows.
Now that Ubuntu and Microsoft are in Bed together and taking long warm showers together...you'd get a life time ban now. :lol: :lol:
Ridiculous. Paranoid. Idiocy.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Be gentle with me

Post by bob466 »

Hoser Rob wrote:
bob466 wrote:
majpooper wrote:Years ago I flagged on the Ubuntu forum by a mod for referring to Windows as Windows.
Now that Ubuntu and Microsoft are in Bed together and taking long warm showers together...you'd get a life time ban now. :lol: :lol:
Ridiculous. Paranoid. Idiocy.
Is it ?
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.

Return to “Open Chat”