what mail client do you prefer

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Addy458

what mail client do you prefer

Post by Addy458 »

i have a mac and a new linux system for official and personal uses respectively.
previously i was using outlook in mac which crashed all of sudden thus freezing all my mails. i had to transfer all my mails to thunderbird with help of Outlook mac database recovery tool by gladwev cause thunderbird couldnot import those olm files directly. thunderbird is doing really fine on my mac. installing thunderbird in my linux system as well.

what is your mail client?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: what mail client do you prefer

Post by coffee412 »

Ive been using Thunderbird for years now. It pretty much does everything that I want it too. I also like the idea that you can just backup your .thunderbird directory and restore/reinstall if need be.

I know there are others out there. Long time ago I used to use Evolution but there was never a forum for it or a lot of support it seems. I think there is a mailing list for it but I just didnt really care for it. There is also claws. I tried it out and its ok but I keep coming back to Thunderbird. I hope Mozilla keeps supporting it.

Glad you got your emails back. I had a client once that decided to clean up his mac laptop for more room. He deleted everything from the documents directory. I spent a lot of time recovering his email - lol.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Addy458 wrote: what is your mail client?
I use web email. It follows me where ever I go and I can log in from MAC, Windows and Linux. I use gmail, yahoo & gmx (gmx.com). I have access to email from PCs, phones and tablets.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Addy458 and Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,

I too have been using Thunderbird for may years. You should not have to install it it come as the default with Linux Mint.
If you want a more outlook like experience you can always install evolution from synaptic. But if Thunderbird works well for you
I would stick with that. Cheers!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Kmail works well for me and unlike certain online email providers' web interfaces, it can be tweaked for usability on a 1024x600 netbook screen. I set it to leave the mails on the server so that they can be accessed from other machines, but are also available offline. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I use SeaMonkey Mail. It's very much like Thunderbird; it's just that I'm more used to this one.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Thunderbird on Linux, K-9 on Android
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

On my home Mint computers, Thunderbird with gContactSync add-on to access my address book from Gmail.
On my work Windows computer, Outlook.
On my Android, I have three: AquaMail, K-@ Mail, and Gmail apps.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Just the great & wonderful Gmail. I dumped my mail clients years ago.... :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i also dumped email clients years ago...much easier to just bookmark my 2 emailers in the browser...i use zoho mail and my favourite protonmail.com...DAMIEN
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The only email client I use is the Gmail one on my Android phone. Other than that, I have been strictly web interface-based since, well... Gandalf Greyhame first set foot upon Middle Earth.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Thunderbird for me, I like the idea of having stored copies in more than one place. Also find it easier to access/read/organise on TB but that might be just familiarity?

I also had Mailnag running for a while (it checks the mail server and pops up a notification if there's new mail) but it started playing up and telling me I had 3000+ unread emails so had to ditch it. I liked it as you didn't have to have the client running to know there was new messages, so if anyone knows any good alternatives I'd be all ears! :)
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I dont want google, yahoo or any of those others handling my email. I have it all on a private email server. I pull it all with thunderbird. I have some dummy gmail accounts for sites that demand an email address. I just give them my junk ones.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Even though all of my email addresses are web-based, I find a stand-alone mail client works best for me. I subscribe to several mailing lists, and I have never been happy with the way web interfaces handle message threads.

For the past year or so I have been using Claws Mail. I chose it because it is fast and easy to configure, and it has a similar look/feel to Pegasus Mail, the Windows email client I used before switching to Linux.

I also use Thunderbird and SeaMonkey Mail, but only for my partially-retired addresses that only get checked weekly.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

Is there any mail client which encrypts the mail like The Bat! ?
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Don't know how The Bat! encrypts, but with Thunderbird you can use Enigmail for encryption
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Yep. Enigmail works with SeaMonkey Mail, too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

Enigmail encrypts the sent/recieved messages. The Bat! can encrypt its folder on computer. Of course, in Mint the whole home directory can be encrypted and a password can be set for starting Thunderbird, but I was wondering if there is such alternative for Linux.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

When on windows I used Netscape 4.8 and then 7 till it wasn't keeping up with the new mail abilities. I then switched to Thunderbird in Windows, and then was delighted it was also in Linux when I left XP behind. What I especially like about Thunderbird is the IMAP ability which allows me to use webmail like gmail, yahoo, and aol, but avoid their webmail applications and especially the ads they have on there. I do leave my webmail on server though, and have to go there once in awhile to delete things. I have my IMAP on Thunderbird set to NOT sync with that, so all mails will remain there, even if I've deleted them on the webmail sites.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
g33zr

Post by g33zr »

Thunderbird is very convenient and it's my go-to client on both my desk- and laptop, but I also access my email via webmail.

Return to “Open Chat”