what mail client do you prefer

Chat about just about anything else
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: what mail client do you prefer

Post by Spearmint2 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:12 am

If you have your own domain, and a hosting service, such as godaddy or gator, not only can you have email through them, you can use the host service like a dropbox to put files into and link to them. In 17.3 caja file manager allowed any FTP connected account, when online, to appear as a folder in the file manager, so transfer of files were easy. For some reason I had to add those capabilities myself when I upgraded it to version 18.3 You just make a bookmark in the file manager to the FTP hosted site. You can host your own domain on your own computer as a server if you wish, set your router with a link to Dynamic DNS and use router's DMZ incoming to your home server.
FTP capability in Caja File Manager
FTP capability in Caja File Manager
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

barddzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barddzen » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:00 am

After about a week of experimentation, I've landed with Evolution but still have issues with iCloud calendars via URL and regardless, on iOS back to GMail and iCloud for other capabilities.

Here is another monkey wrench: we have a family account with ~5 iPhones and everyone else uses iCloud shared calendars, this is something we use extensively. This is why I'm focused more on this function than email (which I got to work just fine). But without the calendar sync, it's a huge gap.

The one big PitA is I have to create individual app passwords for each calendar I want to sync, one at a time in Evolution. And even then I still get sync errors and updates show when I first add the URL, but nothing after that initial setup.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:02 pm

If security is a concern, my preference is Tutanota. However, just as with Signal for secure instant messaging, if you can't get the people on the other end to go and do likewise, there really is no point.

The majority of online related tasks I do on my phone. From instant messaging to email to streaming music to navigation to surfing the web, it's simply much more convenient to do it all there. I basically just use my laptop for web surfing if I'm already on it, and for other traditional desktop computer tasks.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

secinv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by secinv » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:44 pm

I am researching this subject of which "E-Mail" should I go with and came across this so thank you for bringing this up. I will be finally switching from Windows to Linux Mint over this weekend (Labor Day) and needed to see which e-mail to go with. It seems that Evolution may be a good fit for a newbie. I am though interested in what others seem to think.

Thank you,

Stephen
Thank you,

Stephen

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:37 pm

secinv wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:44 pm
I am researching this subject of which "E-Mail" should I go with and came across this so thank you for bringing this up. I will be finally switching from Windows to Linux Mint over this weekend (Labor Day) and needed to see which e-mail to go with. It seems that Evolution may be a good fit for a newbie. I am though interested in what others seem to think.

Thank you,

Stephen
Evolution is definitely more professional / business user oriented, though that said, anyone can use it, really. The company I work for uses the Outlook.com-based Outlook email system, but it's so locked down that you can't access it unless either (and I have no idea why it's set up like this) MS Outlook on your phone, or you're connected to their VPN. However, Evolution does have hooks for connecting to Exchange servers and Outlook web-based services, as well as a pile of other things, so if you're really committed to having a local email client, that may be your ticket.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:17 pm

Also use evolution, synced to my google account for calendar so I can share it between the PC and phone. I did have a look at mailspring about a year ago and was impressed, unfortunately no calendar function (or not then).
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

barddzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barddzen » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:09 am

I've been trying to use Evolution for several weeks now and a few items to note:

- Despite the fact of using iPhone for shared family calendars (can't get away from this), I found it MUCH easier to link the calendars via Google Calendar, than to try and do individually in Evolution directly to iCloud. What happened is once I connected my Google account to Evolution, all of the calendars were pulled, including the linked ones in iCloud. Kind of a work around, but it works fine.

- So now what do I do on iPhone or even Android if I had that phone for tagging? Google's tagging and filtering is something I use extensively and using Evolution on the desktop works well, but then I lose both of those capabilities. Since much of how they work is technically "server side", I'm not sure how this would work if not provided by Google or the provider.

- For example: If I tag something in Evolution, those tags are not recognized by Google, just local and vice versa tags in Google don't reflect locally in Evolution.

- Filters in Evolution don't reflect in Google.

The bottom line in my tests are I don't see how it's possible to get away from Google or any provider that allows tagging and server-side filtering using their web interface. Even iCloud works this way with filters.

Is there a plugin for Evolution that I'm missing that would enable this sort of two-way sync of filters and tags?

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:26 am

I found it MUCH easier to link the calendars via Google Calendar,
When I first set it up I tried and failed to add a new 'google' calendar in evolution, but got it to work with google using a new 'caldav' calendar.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

barddzen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barddzen » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:27 am

I had to use CalDav for iCloud, but did not with Google calendars, it just worked.

vansloneker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vansloneker » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:01 pm

At the moment I use Claws Mail. It is rather plain which I like but still has useful functions. Email collection on multiple accounts is slower than from other clients I used.
I use POP3 because I always did but with numerous systems this is not most practical. I have a computer in a place where I stay about once a month and it will load all mails since last visit (I do not delete mails when retrieving). As a workaround I copy the claws folders from home and update them remote before using.
Gmail however can only be downloaded once. If a mail on Gmail has been downloaded once on a system it will not download again on another system.

I have been considering using imap but have no experience with it and fear for a lot of work changing everything.

Under Windows I finally used Dream Mail but never got that to run in Wine.
Unless stated otherwise Mint 18.3-64 XFCE

===============================================================================================================================Image

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:25 pm

I use POP3 because I always did but with numerous systems this is not most practical
Having used POP3 for years that's why I switched to IMAP

Return to “Open chat”