[Solved] Turn off "Fast Startup" in Win10 or enjoy discovering "Welcome to Emergency Mode"

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
UgotME

[Solved] Turn off "Fast Startup" in Win10 or enjoy discovering "Welcome to Emergency Mode"

Post by UgotME »

While this may seem unrelated to Linux, a Windows shutdown is no longer a hard shutdown and is in reality a (sort-of) hibernation mode. Leaving it checked won't always cause problems, but it will on occasion keep drives or partitions you share between Win10 & Mint occupied and cause mounting problems with Mint -- sending you into "Welcome to Emergency Mode"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Turn off "Fast Startup" in Win10 or enjoy discovering "Welcome to Emergency Mode"

Post by catweazel »

And your question is?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
michael louwe

Re: Turn off "Fast Startup" in Win10 or enjoy discovering "Welcome to Emergency Mode"

Post by michael louwe »

@ UgotME, .......
UgotME wrote:.
Yes. The Win 8.x/10 Fast Startup feature copies the Standby feature used on mobile smartphones which gives a fast startup.
... M$ even extended this mobile Standby/Fast Startup feature to their Surface 2-in-1 touchscreen tablets with the Connected Standby feature which abolishes the backwards-compatible Legacy BIOS mode. Connected Standby = forever readily-connected to the Internet, eg to retrieve emails and chat messages.

Seems, Win 8.x/10 have morphed into a mobile OS, like Android and iOS, eg Settings replacing the Control Panel.

Notice that you mostly cannot DIY reinstall the OS on smartphones and tablets, except with an OS backup from the Cloud, eg iCloud and Google Cloud. So, it's likely that one day, Win 10 users will also not be able to DIY a clean reinstall of Win 10 or install Linux on your OEM desktop/laptop/tablet, just like for mobile smartphones = you will be buying new computers as often as you buy new smartphones, ie about every 2 to 3 years.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

yep - it's true that the win-10 system is getting "more locked down"

ie: tried to install an older printer on v1703 & it wouldn't let me do that,
as the printer software was not in the M$ Store . . .
- so, I'd 'hacked / cracked' the v1703 with a CLI command trick, that then bypassed the v1703 security,
and bingo - there was the newly installed Printer.

me thinks, that it is all to do with the HardWare Manufacturers, who are the ones pushing those hardware upgrades.
:evil:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
UgotME

Post by UgotME »

catweazel wrote:And your question is?
Apologies. I just wanted to pass that along to anyone that might be searching for something similar. Was never a question. I marked it solved accordingly. Thanks.
jwrober

Re: [Solved] Turn off "Fast Startup" in Win10 or enjoy discovering "Welcome to Emergency Mode"

Post by jwrober »

You can turn off fast startup in full control panel power settings in win10. The os will then do a complete shutdown and you can mount the ntfs partition on LM if you want to share files between partitions on same box.

Return to “Open Chat”