Forum Police?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
MintBean

Re: Forum Police?

Post by MintBean »

deepakdeshp wrote:That's an interesting thread. My view is ,why should we bother if somebody is rude with us. I would still offer help,if I knew the topic. May be that's his real nature which is reflecting on the forum but which doesn't affect us in any way
Exactly. Why should newbies bother is somebody is rude to them. They should just put up with it. It reflects the poster but doesn't affect the newbie in any way.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

The ultimate "bad scene" forum is coloured mostly orange. Those people are psychopathically mean, vicious and intolerant. No wonder they're losing users to other distros.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I think it can help if you see some of them as a joke in the same way you can have a giggle at a mall guard who thinks he's a cop.
I mean yeah, if they're threatening anyone or something, definitely let the mods know so that they can be dealt with, but a lot of the more toxic yet ultimately harmless behaviour can make for the beginnings of a good joke. Some boards I've been on were full of that and you'd get people mimicking it off the boards on messaging apps for a giggle.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=259045&p=1401238#p1401238, I think the sentence "If you cannot provide specifics, you are doing more harm than good on this thread, but thanks for trying." of user Eduardo103 is indeed very disputable.
As a user I would avoid using such a language and somebody trying to help, I would probably answer by "I'm sorry but I fear my suggestions are more damaging you than helping you. Since, as you wrote, I does you more harm than good, I will therefore leave and let other volunteers help you. Good luck". Which, I admit, is an hypocrite but polite way to say "I hope you rot in hell alone and that your hard disk will have multiple hardware failure". :D
The forums 'self police' in some respect. You will notice there were no further responses to that thread and I often see a situation where someone has been rude several times and their new questions simply don't get any responses. Also some people seem not to realise that it's unlikely an individual will come along and spend significant amounts of time troubleshooting their specific issue. Often there's a collaboration of sort where a bunch of people pitch in with bits of information and between them they eventually come up with a solution. Some questioners get annoyed by this method because the answer isn't straight there on a plate, but it often works.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MintBean wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:19 pm The forums 'self police' in some respect. You will notice there were no further responses to that thread and I often see a situation where someone has been rude several times and their new questions simply don't get any responses.
Indeed, it is so.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Open Chat”