Forum Police?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Forum Police?

Post by Spearmint2 »

Self police it. On another website forum I got called "troll" twice, and was only trying to help the guy. He didn't seem to understand we aren't at his computer and have to guess at some things, and start with the basic fix and move on from there. My way of dealing with such is abandon the thread. My second way of dealing with it is when I see someone requesting help and they are rude to others, I just stay out of that thread, even if I have the exact answer he needs. If all members ignore a thread where rudeness is happening, it would help a lot.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

As someone who, in times past, was a moderator in a couple different groups, I can speak to what I've seen (or, mostly, not seen) on LMF...

It's not an easy task to be a moderator. Every post represents some kind of judgement call, whether to let it stand as is, to edit it, to kill it, or to kick someone over it. I never much enjoyed the role, and I never asked to be one. So yes, I recognize what an utterly thankless job it is, and try not to cause problems for mods in the various places I hang my digital hat.

Usually, when this sort of thread is posted somewhere, it means someone who should have taken the hint that they crossed the line didn't take that hint, or perhaps they just want to try and create sympathy for themselves.

I'm not saying that's what's happened in this case. I'm not a mod here, so I wasn't involved, and I don't wish to be. I'm just commenting from personal experience.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/2 ... _language/

At least we don't have Linus Torvalds as a Moderator. :P
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I agree with Linus and I'm glad someone strong is in the driving seat of the world's largest software project. Code should be production ready and double-triple checked before it hits his desk. If he's ever replaced with a pushover mark my words, Linux will suffer.

Seems pretty popular to demonise the guy these days but he doesn't seem like a bad egg from what I read.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

So you're saying Moem should start swearing at us? :P
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Ha... fortunately she's not running a software project here, although keeping you lot in line is probably pretty challenging.

<<cunningly excludes self *halo*>>
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Don't tempt me, you sun of a beach. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Don't worry guys, I've reported Moem to herself.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Report received; I've just sent myself a very stern warning.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

tinca wrote:"Snowflakes"

I think that people are letting their thin skins get hurt far too often in this modern world we all live in. People in general are offended by everything and anything. It is becoming the norm.

When I see someone get " plonked" it makes me smile. Don't take it so personal

Best regards Keith
Agree. Snowflakes everywhere.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote:Report received; I've just sent myself a very stern warning.
This is what I like about you, Moem: selfless dedication to the job.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

There is a ! icon above every post so any user can report any post that is in violation of the rules viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314

I may make short posts when I am on my smartphone and make things very simple for people who have been here for a while to make it easier for new users to fix their issues if they do search before posting.

If you find yourself in a situation where you can't reply without being nice, don't reply...We do need to be polite to all members on this forum, except for spammers
wizzybang

Post by wizzybang »

I've been a member of a few forums, and this one for not too long, and I must say it's a very polite, friendly and well mannered forum, very refreshing indeed.. I joined a site yesterday (not really a forum in any way shape or form) and got shot down with an uzi within seconds for what I thought was helping someone.
CoffeeFiend

Post by CoffeeFiend »

Maybe it's because I am a new member, but I haven't really seen too much rudeness or the likes here. You want to read rude comments? Check out Bitcoin Forums. Wow!
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

In a face-to-face discussion you hear the words, hear the tone, and see the expressions.
On the phone you hear the words and the tone of voice.
In a forum/text/email, all you get are the words.

Text-only communication can be hazardous because we don't hear the voice or see the face.

I like this forum. I like that people can just go ahead and ask a question and reasonably assume that they will be treated with respect. We never really know who is at the other end... could be grade-schooler learning about linux, someone's grandmother setting up her duel monitors, or, perhaps, it's chucky the evil doll afterall.

I like the Arch forum too. Yes, they're professorial and hurumph alot, but, for solutions to difficult problems, they are usually nuts on.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

CoffeeFiend wrote:I haven't really seen too much rudeness or the likes here.
And that's the way we intend to keep it. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen. We would like to be known as the friendliest forum on the internet, which only makes sense, since Mint is the friendliest Linux distro.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

jimallyn wrote:
CoffeeFiend wrote:I haven't really seen too much rudeness or the likes here.
And that's the way we intend to keep it. It doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen. We would like to be known as the friendliest forum on the internet, which only makes sense, since Mint is the friendliest Linux distro.
Here's an example;

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=259045&p=1401238#p1401238

You try to make it simple as possible for the person and because they want it to be something difficult, instead of the advice being appreciated, they kick you. Interestingly however, is the thread seems abandoned now by everyone since then. Nobody wants to be treated that way, so nobody is helping him now.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

That's an interesting thread. My view is ,why should we bother if somebody is rude with us. I would still offer help,if I knew the topic. May be that's his real nature which is reflecting on the forum but which doesn't affect us in any way
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

which doesn't affect us in any way
And if it does, then it tells more about us then him (or her) :)
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

**PLONK** was the sound of the "user" landing on an ignore list, or kill file.
Usenet action from the mid '90s
IDK what they use it for bow.

Return to “Open Chat”