Forum Police?

Chat about just about anything else
Spearmint2
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Forum Police?

Postby Spearmint2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:00 pm

Self police it. On another website forum I got called "troll" twice, and was only trying to help the guy. He didn't seem to understand we aren't at his computer and have to guess at some things, and start with the basic fix and move on from there. My way of dealing with such is abandon the thread. My second way of dealing with it is when I see someone requesting help and they are rude to others, I just stay out of that thread, even if I have the exact answer he needs. If all members ignore a thread where rudeness is happening, it would help a lot.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Portreve » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:30 pm

As someone who, in times past, was a moderator in a couple different groups, I can speak to what I've seen (or, mostly, not seen) on LMF...

It's not an easy task to be a moderator. Every post represents some kind of judgement call, whether to let it stand as is, to edit it, to kill it, or to kick someone over it. I never much enjoyed the role, and I never asked to be one. So yes, I recognize what an utterly thankless job it is, and try not to cause problems for mods in the various places I hang my digital hat.

Usually, when this sort of thread is posted somewhere, it means someone who should have taken the hint that they crossed the line didn't take that hint, or perhaps they just want to try and create sympathy for themselves.

I'm not saying that's what's happened in this case. I'm not a mod here, so I wasn't involved, and I don't wish to be. I'm just commenting from personal experience.
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Lucap » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:00 am

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/2 ... _language/

At least we don't have Linus Torvalds as a Moderator. :P

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Postby MintBean » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:15 am

I agree with Linus and I'm glad someone strong is in the driving seat of the world's largest software project. Code should be production ready and double-triple checked before it hits his desk. If he's ever replaced with a pushover mark my words, Linux will suffer.

Seems pretty popular to demonise the guy these days but he doesn't seem like a bad egg from what I read.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Lucap » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:25 am

So you're saying Moem should start swearing at us? :P

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Postby MintBean » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:30 am

Ha... fortunately she's not running a software project here, although keeping you lot in line is probably pretty challenging.

<<cunningly excludes self *halo*>>

Moem
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Moem » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:01 am

Don't tempt me, you sun of a beach. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Postby MintBean » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:27 am

Don't worry guys, I've reported Moem to herself.

Moem
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Moem » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:45 am

Report received; I've just sent myself a very stern warning.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Postby z31fanatic » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:05 pm

tinca wrote:"Snowflakes"

I think that people are letting their thin skins get hurt far too often in this modern world we all live in. People in general are offended by everything and anything. It is becoming the norm.

When I see someone get " plonked" it makes me smile. Don't take it so personal

Best regards Keith

Agree. Snowflakes everywhere.

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Portreve » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:38 pm

Moem wrote:Report received; I've just sent myself a very stern warning.

This is what I like about you, Moem: selfless dedication to the job.
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

JeremyB
Level 17
Level 17

Postby JeremyB » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:20 pm

There is a ! icon above every post so any user can report any post that is in violation of the rules viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314

I may make short posts when I am on my smartphone and make things very simple for people who have been here for a while to make it easier for new users to fix their issues if they do search before posting.

If you find yourself in a situation where you can't reply without being nice, don't reply...We do need to be polite to all members on this forum, except for spammers

wizzybang
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wizzybang » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:45 pm

I've been a member of a few forums, and this one for not too long, and I must say it's a very polite, friendly and well mannered forum, very refreshing indeed.. I joined a site yesterday (not really a forum in any way shape or form) and got shot down with an uzi within seconds for what I thought was helping someone.
Success is the ability to go from one failure to the next without any loss of enthusiasm.....

Return to “Open chat”