new to open source contribution

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
agdeva8

new to open source contribution

Post by agdeva8 »

Hello all,
I want to be a developer and I am interested in learning new things related to programming and computer science. So i think the best thing to get to know about new things is to interact with people who are already doing it and to be a part of a community who advance itself every minute, which brings me here. But i am finding difficulty in finding a project for me and to learn about how this contribution system works. Although i don't know much languages but i am eager to learn.

Thanks... :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintBean

Re: new to open source contribution

Post by MintBean »

Before you can contribute, you need to put some groundwork in and that's going to be mainly off your own back. I suggest learning Python and the GTK3 framework as a starter if you want to work on the flagship Cinnamon edition.
agdeva8

Post by agdeva8 »

Thanks,
I know a little bit of python but of unaware of GTK3 framework. I will definitely try to learn it.
i know C++ also
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

A lot of open source projects are hosted on github. SourceForge used to be the place to go, but a lot of the projects have moved to github, and probably most new projects just start at github to begin with. Most of the projects will have a list of bugs that have been reported. You could go through the bug lists and pick one you think you'd like to work on. And thank you very much for your desire to contribute!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

The best way is to find a project you personally are interested in. Find info about it. Where do devs communicate? A large majority of projects use IRC. Find the channel for the project, hang out, see what's going on. Figure how they handle contributions. Do they use github? Learn the basics of using it. You can create your own small repos for playing with. Learn to use the tools to get the code create branches, make pull requests, etc. Github in nice because there is a lot of great info available online about how to use it. Get a handle on it and then try to make a small contribution.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Open Chat”