Firewall of LM Forum Blocking Tor

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
sudo apt-get Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Firewall of LM Forum Blocking Tor

Post by sudo apt-get Linux »

Hi there,

It seems that the firewall of the forum (or may be just its hosting company) systematically blocks all Tor connections now.

"Block reason: Your IP address is listed in our blacklist and blocked from completing this request."

Is there anything that could be done ? For privacy lovers (as all Linux users should be), Tor remains the sole serious protection (simple proxies or VPN are not a problem at all to get around).

That would be nice if that issue could be solved. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Firewall of LM Forum Blocking Tor

Post by Moem »

Using Tor to go to a site that requires logging in doesn't really make a lot of sense... after all, logging in means not being anonymous.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

actually i'm here posting this with privoxy & tor the only difference is that i'm not using the tor bundle. i setup system and menu to start privoxy & tor on demand from the menu.
i do agree that using tor and signing in is counter productive, trying to log into google account with tor is murder i'm so annoyed by google captcha of how many cars or street signs i see.
took me a while to figure out how to work with privoxy and tor but working as expected here and was able to sign into mint forums

ATM i'm using my ARCH Linux but i do the same in my mint 17.3
sudo apt-get Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Moem wrote:Using Tor to go to a site that requires logging in doesn't really make a lot of sense... after all, logging in means not being anonymous.
Sorry but I don't understand. If you log in in your real Facebook account or in your real email account, then it does not make sense, I agree, but otherwise registering in a board as a John or a Jane, then visiting it through Tor, you remain a John or a Jane, because no one knows who and where you are. Just logging in a board through Tor does not desanonymize users (unless the said board is injected with special scripts aimed at that purpose, usually js, JAVA, Flash).

Thanks trytip, I know there are tricks like using VPN/proxies after Tor, but would not be easier to allow Tor exit nodes ? It's a pity that a forum like LM, that defends free OS, free software, and freedom in general, comes to somewhat ban one of the most powerful cyber tool for freedom and privacy lovers.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

For this forum, you need a working email addres. So that *is* your real email address. It may not be your only one, but it's real in every way.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
sudo apt-get Linux
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Moen,

A working/functional email (versus a disposable email) does not mean it is “real” in the sense there are information related to my real identity or even IP. There are still services that can be used through Tor (registration, etc.) without all these checkings and counter-checkings (phone, SMS, …), and therefore the guy using them remains an anonymous Tor user.

Anyway this does not solve our current problem, a frustrating one. I have been using Tor for about a decade and this is the first board I get blocked accessing it. Tor (free and open source) is used by a lot of people and for a lot of reasons, it is recommanded by the EFF, etc.

Iran, Turkey, Russia, Syria, China, North Korea are also blocking Tor…., do we need to join the club ?

Is it a “political” or a technical reason that LM forum blocks Tor ? There was no problem 1 year ago, then problems started a few months ago but could easily get around when changing of identity (new Tor circuit = new exit node), now all Tor IP seems blocked :(

Tot ziens ! :)
NChewie

Post by NChewie »

Looks like anyone using Tor (or reading about it) is an evil extremist anyway :twisted:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... xtremists/

so anybody who reads this thread is probably in trouble.
A bit like the killer video from Scary Movie 3...

Return to “Open Chat”