stubborn linux users on facebook groups

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
nubipengen

stubborn linux users on facebook groups

Post by nubipengen »

hello everybody,

i have been confused because of the behaviour of some linux users on facebook groups. :?:

i have been administering linux mint groups on facebook, and there have been times that admins had to get frustrated because of arguments with some (quite many) people who posted irrelevant topics on linux mint groups, such as :
- posting questions or new topics specific to ubuntu, e.g. unity desktop, news about canonical, kali linux, RHEL, etc.
- discussing other distros' superiority while bashing linux mint for not fulfilling their personal preferences (on linux mint groups)
- other topics not directly related to linux mint distro

some of their excuses were because linux mint is based on ubuntu and debian, so ubuntu and debian topics are okay.
other excuses said that linux is open source, so the community should have open minds too.
these people have been so unyielding and fighting back by accusing group admins for being too strict, etc, while we actually want to keep the group discussions relevant to using linux mint. to me, being consistent and relevant does not mean having closed mind.

what do you guys suggest ?

thanks before. :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: stubborn linux users on facebook groups

Post by BigEasy »

Ubuntu is great! RHEL too.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

Warn them. If they persist, ban them.
nubipengen

Post by nubipengen »

BigEasy wrote:Ubuntu is great! RHEL too.
yes sir, i know it. but insisting to post irrelevant topics on a distro-specific group sounds like a troublemaker anarchist.
i am wondering if this happens with other (besides linux mint) distro-specific groups as well. :mrgreen:
aes2011 wrote:Warn them. If they persist, ban them.
i have been banning thousands of such people for 2 years, sir, and it still does not stop, there are always people like them.
so i am not arguing with them anymore, i just directly ban them without warning when they breach the written group rules. :shock:
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

nubipengen wrote:i have been banning thousands of such people for 2 years, sir, and it still does not stop, there are always people like them.
so i am not arguing with them anymore, i just directly ban them without warning when they breach the written group rules. :shock:
It's not going to stop. That's what modding is. It's an ongoing task.
Warn, then ban; that's what you can do. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

As a Facebook admin we found setting posts to be pre-approved did a massive amount to control the drama on the group. If a post is against the rules, just delete it, it never appears on the group - if you're feeling helpful, PM people to tell them why their post didn't get through.

Combine that with warning and then banning anyone who persistently argues with the rules and it makes for a much more peaceful environment.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

SallyK, I concur. That's what we do here, too, and it works pretty well.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

There is a small but persistent group within the Debian and possibly Ubuntu camps who have some kind of jealousy of the success of Linux Mint and try to spam Mint resources and defame the distro. If it gets too much, just insta-ban them.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

BigEasy's Gravatar above indicates that he/she is a Windows-fan out to troll Linux Mint forums by impersonating as a Linux-fan.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

We don't generally ban people based on their avatars alone. If we ban people it's because of behaviour.
And it's fine to like Windows. To each their own.

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

nubipengen wrote:what do you guys suggest ?
Don't use facebook.
NChewie

Post by NChewie »

Send them here and Moem will teach them some manners :D
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Be sure you have the rules posted where everybody can see them. Other than that, everything has been pretty well covered. It's your group and your rules. If people won't comply, just ban them.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Facebook is a breeding ground for random comments. I know. I also live in that kind environment. Just ban them.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

rene wrote:
Don't use facebook.
As far as support goes, I too don't prefer Facebook or Google groups or Google+. I don't see many search results pointing to these resources which are like "walled gardens".

I like forums, Stack Exchange, or even mailing lists.
nubipengen

Post by nubipengen »

BigEasy wrote:Image
that is what i have been doing. :mrgreen:
SallyK wrote:As a Facebook admin we found setting posts to be pre-approved did a massive amount to control the drama on the group. If a post is against the rules, just delete it, it never appears on the group - if you're feeling helpful, PM people to tell them why their post didn't get through.

Combine that with warning and then banning anyone who persistently argues with the rules and it makes for a much more peaceful environment.
we already have activated the feature to pre-approved pending posts, but the frustrating part is, some fellow admins/moderators are not on the same page. in many times they let irrelevant topics pass, for example ubuntu-specific topics, and their argument is that this is a grey area, because mint is based on ubuntu.
MintBean wrote:There is a small but persistent group within the Debian and possibly Ubuntu camps who have some kind of jealousy of the success of Linux Mint and try to spam Mint resources and defame the distro. If it gets too much, just insta-ban them.
i have the same feeling, it looks like some people are trying to mess with linux mint community on facebook. but so far, many of such posts have been about ubuntu distro-specific topics, kali linux, RHEL. these are the top 3 irrelevant topics on linux mint facebook gorups.
rene wrote:
Don't use facebook.
i cannot do that. there are so much temptation not to see cat videos. :mrgreen:
aes2011 wrote:
rene wrote:
Don't use facebook.
As far as support goes, I too don't prefer Facebook or Google groups or Google+. I don't see many search results pointing to these resources which are like "walled gardens".

I like forums, Stack Exchange, or even mailing lists.
i was a forum activist years ago. but since facebook is getting more popular and more users too, i follow the trend.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

BigEasy wrote:Ubuntu is great! RHEL too.
TROLL!
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

If they are bashing, then ban them immediately. If they are asking for help on another distro, consider it a compliment. It means they have more confidence in Mint users for answers to their problem than their on distro specific forums.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
nubipengen

Post by nubipengen »

Spearmint2 wrote:If they are bashing, then ban them immediately. If they are asking for help on another distro, consider it a compliment. It means they have more confidence in Mint users for answers to their problem than their on distro specific forums.
thanks, but there are too many such people who made the linux mint groups cluttered with too many non-linux mint topics.
for normal people, joining a linux mint group means that they are going to discuss linux mint-related topics.

Return to “Open Chat”