Mozilla is "evaluating" userChrome.css

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Mozilla is "evaluating" userChrome.css

Post by aes2011 »

From comment #14 in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1416044
From a WebExtensions point-of-view, I am very interested in this telemetry as well. The use of userChrome.css indicates there is a market need to customize the browser that cannot currently be satisfied any other way. Knowing the frequency that userChrome is used is a good start, but any information we can get on the contents is even better (although, more difficult, I suspect). Number of rules, as jaws proposed, is a nice start.

In the end, I'm looking for information to help me provide developers with a solid set of maintainable API that provides what userChrome.css is providing today.
It could be interpreted as a move to, sooner or later, kill off userChrome.css :shock:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mozilla is "evaluating" userChrome.css

Post by catweazel »

aes2011 wrote:It could be interpreted as a move to, sooner or later, kill off userChrome.css :shock:
From reading the thread, that's a good thing.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

catweazel wrote:
How do you come to that conclusion?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Schultz wrote:
catweazel wrote:
How do you come to that conclusion?
...this may become a ticking timebomb for users, especially since userChrome.css is worse than a theme in many respects...
Amongst other comments.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

aes2011 wrote:It could be interpreted as a move to, sooner or later, kill off userChrome.css :shock:
I have seen articles saying just that. It wouldn't surprise, but I hope not.

I use/used Classic Theme Restorer, plus my own css. CTR is making changes through css.

If users that use firefox are part of the "Mozilla community", and we are staying abreast of what FF is doing, why don't they just ask us and take a poll and engage the community. Me thinks Mozilla is in a "telemetry bubble". All data no people.

Here's a first: Commercial for Firefox with Guillermo. All about speed, nothing about stability, privacy, usability, customizing. What does "speed" mean in a post net neutrality environment.

ghacks brought up the spam infestation problem at the ff addon site. Be nice if they fixed that.

The person that wrote Comment 39 is my hero.
That is funny though. Forcing users to use the userChrome.css, as many add-ons are no longer available in "Quantum". Then Saying it might be a time bomb implying the suggestion to no longer allow userChrome.css - are you serious? Really, stop wasting time and money, state "use Chrome, we will be almost the same in like 2 years from now" and use the money for pro-privacy, "pro-internet" lobbying. So sad to see what FF has become.

Return to “Open Chat”