Dr. Web alerts about potential SCRIPT.Virus on Mint

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
whois1230
Level 4
Level 4

Dr. Web alerts about potential SCRIPT.Virus on Mint

Post by whois1230 »

Hi, I ran Dr. Web LiveCD on my Linux Mint Laptop. Mint is the only OS installed. It found the following 'Threat' : Threats detected: 1 Threats neutralized: 1 Objekt: 220FF63987EC7EF396B9B48BB2837E221FB69505 Threat: 'Probably SCRIPT.Virus' Action: Moved(it was moved to Quarantine, after which I deleted it). I saw the explanation on Dr. Web's website. It stated that this virus could have infected my computer through a web page or an email attachment. Could this be a trojan or a worm?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: SCRIPT.Virus on Mint

Post by Moem »

And your question is?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: SCRIPT.Virus on Mint

Post by xenopeek »

That means one of the websites you visited and whose files were stored in your browser's cache was ruled by Dr Web as undesirable. Probably something from an ad network that's otherwise harmless. Dr Web is criticized for classifying files too easily as viruses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Web#C ... eliability

But indeed, what is your question? If you want an explanation of the SCRIPT.Virus classification you'll have to ask Dr Web.
whois1230
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Dr. Web alerts about potential SCRIPT.Virus on Mint

Post by whois1230 »

Moem wrote:And your question is?
xenopeek wrote:That means one of the websites you visited and whose files were stored in your browser's cache was ruled by Dr Web as undesirable. Probably something from an ad network that's otherwise harmless. Dr Web is criticized for classifying files too easily as viruses: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Web#C ... eliability

But indeed, what is your question? If you want an explanation of the SCRIPT.Virus classification you'll have to ask Dr Web.
Hello and thanks, I updated my original post and included my question.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

After you have deleted the quarantined file it is not even possible to transfer it to Dr. Web to check it.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Indeed, with you deleting the file there is nothing more to do. If you hadn't deleted the file I would have suggested to upload it to https://www.virustotal.com/ for scanning, to get an authoritative and definitive answer on whether there was something to worry about. Most likely there isn't and this is just Dr Web being overzealous over some ad network's file in your web browser's cache.

Return to “Open Chat”