Dogs?

Chat about just about anything else
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Dogs?

Post by Arch_Enemy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:16 pm

We ad a dog that looked like a litte German Shepherd. It was supposed to be for my daughter.
Her and Mom had tyo go somewhere for a couple months, and the dog was mine. Still liked my daughter, until I came home.
After about 3 years, we had a boy. The dog was now his. Would not leave his side unless it was to go play chase the stick. Even then, all bets were off.
Two years later we had to leave the house (both of us laid off, and we couldn't get jobs before th bank took the house back... :cry: )
Had to give the dog away. One of the saddest days in my life...

Mom said a couple years ago, "we should have taken her". I wish they had... :cry:
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:24 pm

PS: I worked for a company that made space suits. My daughter's class was having a "space week". I was laid off by then, but someone in the company let me borrow the old SpaceLab suit they had for "Show and Tell".
We displayed the suit, I explained how it was made and how it protected the astronauts, etc. When we got home my daughter asked if we could set it up in the house. I did, and then remembered the dog out in the pen all day.
I let her in, she was all excited we were home, and went running down the hall to look for the boy.
She turned the corner and saw the suit. DEAD STOP! Hair stood up on the back of her neck like I had never seen before.
My wife, rocking the boy in the rocker, accidentally nudged the boot of the suit with her foot...

I had never, EVER seen that dog act like that, before, or after. She started snarling and growling like a real German Shepherd. All I could think of was her tearing into the suit and shredding it to ribbons! (It was still worth ~$300,000...)
LUkily I got her backed out of the room and she calmed down. This is a dog who never even BARKED much...until my son was born. Then she'd bark slightly at any little noise.

Oh...and one other thing. I came home and my wife asked if I had heard about Mogadishu. <rip!> Huh? Mogadishu <ruff!> Mogadishu <rowr!> Never could figure that one out!

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:12 pm
This is SO stolen!
Can't argue since I don't know the true source.
Had I known the proper attribution I would have cited it.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"
"We're just the guys to do it.”

Animal House

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:59 pm

tovian wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote:
This is SO stolen!
the thing about pictures that are posted on "the internet", they instantly become "public property" regardless of where they were stolen from.

1st word to an internet user, if you want to keep a secret, do not utter it, or post it, anywhere.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:51 pm

tovian wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:34 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote:
This is SO stolen!

No, my friend...I meant *I* stole it from *YOU*! :lol:

Matter of fact, I printed it out at work and posted it with a magnet to the side of my cabinet! :D

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:45 am

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:51 pm
I printed it out at work and posted it with a magnet to the side of my cabinet!

“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"
"We're just the guys to do it.”

Animal House

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Post by MurphCID » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:17 am

My babies are getting old. It is becoming a little bittersweet, and these are the last two dogs I will own, it is too hard to lose them.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:42 pm

MurphCID wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:17 am
My babies are getting old. It is becoming a little bittersweet, and these are the last two dogs I will own, it is too hard to lose them.
That's why I never got another one...

I did have a mixed breed dog for one day, but I was working crazy then and the next day looked like a 10 hour day (it was actually 11) and with no kids at home and my elderly mother I brought her back. Too bad, she was a nice dog. Since she knew me since the day she was born the acclimation period was all of 10 minutes...:D

Return to “Open chat”