Dogs?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Citizen229

Re: Dogs?

Post by Citizen229 »

Yes a Dobie raises my home owners insurance. Any large dog will raise with my specific company.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Citizen229 wrote:Yes a Dobie raises my home owners insurance. Any large dog will raise with my specific company.
Too bad, Dobies are classed as a family dog, great with kids.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Citizen229 wrote:Yes a Dobie raises my home owners insurance. Any large dog will raise with my specific company.
The same with cars--if you buy a Corvette your liability rates go up--regardless of your personal driving record.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

@sammiev

Dobies CAN be great family dogs. They naturally develop a social cluster and they are awesome. Its when something outside of that clusters comes about, there are issues. They tend to be more extreme to outside people than other dogs. It takes much work to break this breed trait, most do not do it. This is what has led to the bad reputation. The owner is responsible for teaching the difference between defensive and combative. The owner is also responsible for letting people who come over they ALSO must have the dogs permission to enter as well as the property owner. Limitations with children is another limit owners do not express to people. As adults it is fun to make little ones run around the yard and squeal. Most large dogs will not tolerate this in any way, shape or form.... even to other peoples children. I was at a house with my dogs one time. I told this guy " do not yell at your kids" ( even though they need it). He did not listen and he had 150lbs of dogs standing in front of him growling. He got angry because it was his house and his kids. It was hard to get him to understand they do not know any of that, they just know the large male was being aggressive to the little people.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

I have a 12 year old Wheaten Terrier, who has always had tummy-issues, and a 9 year old husky-lab cross, whose tummy is a kitchen-sink.
Because of personal dietary experience, a few months ago we switched the Wheaten to a grain-free kibble. While "whole grains" are no doubt good for people, we doubt that dogs have moved far enough into "omnivore" territory to really dig it. There was an immediate, noticeable difference in the Wheaten's appetite, so we switched the other dog to "grain-free" also.
At the same time, an acquaintance asked this question:
Would you raise your kids on a diet of meal-replacement bars?
Bingo.
We've only had kibble for a hundred years or so; before that dogs ate basically the same food people ate.

We cut the kibble ration in half, and added people food. For breakfast, each dog gets a quarter-ration of kibble, a strip of bacon and 1/2 an egg. For supper, they get a quarter-ration of kibble, and a share of what we eat for our supper. We eat a lot of bacon in this house, consequently, both meals for the dogs get a slosh of bacon grease. We figure the dogs won't live long enough for that to be an issue.

Both dogs act like puppies. They always want to play.
They are full of energy; they're alert and curious.
They're tiring us out. They never get tired. But they're 'old' dogs?

The results are almost worth the word "miraculous."

Edit; we also have a 9 yr old cat. I swapped his food for a high-level same-brand cat-food, with the same results. Cat's always chasing his tail, attacking me, etc., typical kitten stuff. He's 9.

Something odd here about "grain-free?" Or is there something else going on?
(cue theme from "The Twilight Zone")
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hi @Pat D,
You are a pooch pamperer--so are we.

We were also overfeeding our dog's kibble servings. We live in a rural area where people often 'dump' dogs.
When they find their way here we usually let them stay. They get vetted, tags, shots, and spayed or neutered. The ones we intend to provide forever homes also get micro-chips. We have found other homes for a few as well.
Currently we have 2 large Labs, a Leopard Catahoula, a Beagle, and a Shih Poo.

We also choose to feed twice daily- (the labs are 78 and 92 lbs) and each get a level measuring cup each meal, the smaller ones much less. This is a little more than half the dog chow bag recommendations of 3 3/4 cups each day . Been doing this for several years and nobody is skinny.
We boil and de-bone a couple chicken leg quarters to make a kettle of chicken soup to mix with the kibbles. We divide the soup in butter tubs and refrigerate--and this makes a weeks worth. Then at feeding time we microwave the proper amount to knock the chill off. This gives them a little extra protein, some actual meat, and a warm meal.
Needless to say they love it. The catahoula is 17 years old now and is slowing down a bit but still wants to be the alpha
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Reading the last few post, hmmm I bet the owners are skinner than their pets. :wink:
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

I can't get over the question I got:

Would you raise your children on meal replacement bars?

Death knell of kibble for me. My dogs are people.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

With my dog (Labrador/Border Collie) it only matters to her what I am eating. If I put a banana (sliced of course) in her bowl she will let it sit all day. If I am eating one she will beg until I give her a piece.

Seams to me that when they grow old they are still puppies! :-)

One of my favorites was a Doberman/Great Dane mix. If you threw a stick in the river she would jump in, ignore the stick and bring back a tree branch...
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

a02p0021.jpg
Jim Hauser wrote:With my dog (Labrador/Border Collie) it only matters to her what I am eating. If I put a banana (sliced of course) in her bowl she will let it sit all day. If I am eating one she will beg until I give her a piece.

Seams to me that when they grow old they are still puppies! :-)

One of my favorites was a Doberman/Great Dane mix. If you threw a stick in the river she would jump in, ignore the stick and bring back a tree branch...
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Beware of getting worm infection from dogs,(eg cysts/boils in flesh or organs) eg by touching them and not washing your hands before handling and eating foods like fruits.
... Dogs should be dewormed half-yearly and deticked. Frontline Plus detick solution, applied on the neck every 3 months, will keep the dogs tick-free and healthy.

Some expensive pedigree dogs from dog-breeding mills are prone to inherited genetic diseases because of inbreeding or incest-breeding.

Stress in dogs cause mite infection(= skin mange) because of suppressed immunity.

Dogs are allergic to chocolate/caffeine = can be fatal.
Last edited by michael louwe on Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Dog treats have to be the worst thing you could ever give to your dog. That crap has more process chemicals than the garbage on the grocery shelves. Rawhide chew.. never.

"Naners"- I dont eat them but I get them for treat after "puppy spa day"
Eggs- Hard boiled and frozen, peel before serving
Bacon - fried, bagged and frozen
Baking pans - place on floor for "puppy prewash"
Asparagus - my dog loves the stuff, but she will starve to death before eating broccoli
Cow femur- Butcher shop for fresh bones if you have one around. For most shops, they are waste and just throw them away(free). Store bones do not have the marrow inside the bone.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I have two a Golden Retriever mix who is a wonderful dog, and a miniature dachsund who is the most hard headed dog I have ever had. Both are wonderful loving dogs. I told the spouse-unit that after we lose these two no more pets, I can't deal with losing them anymore.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Good to see the comments regarding feeding dogs.

More than 25 years ago I decided to feed my dogs raw food only. So, the diet would include chicken carcass, chicken necks, pigs head, tripe, beef, lamb, horse, bones (beef, lamb). I weigh the food so that they get fed about 1.5% of their ideal bodyweight. This keeps them in good shape with no health issues. My current dog is 10 years old and has good, strong teeth, which are white and her breath is not offensive. As a contrast, my wife feeds her miniature longhaired dachshund (the same age as Jordan, my dog) either commercial dog roll, soft dog food from a can, or kibble. Her teeth are discoloured and her breath is awful.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Citizen229 wrote:Dog treats have to be the worst thing you could ever give to your dog. That crap has more process chemicals than the garbage on the grocery shelves. Rawhide chew.. never.

"Naners"- I dont eat them but I get them for treat after "puppy spa day"
Eggs- Hard boiled and frozen, peel before serving
Bacon - fried, bagged and frozen
Baking pans - place on floor for "puppy prewash"
Asparagus - my dog loves the stuff, but she will starve to death before eating broccoli
Cow femur- Butcher shop for fresh bones if you have one around. For most shops, they are waste and just throw them away(free). Store bones do not have the marrow inside the bone.
The foundation of my dog's diet is a good quality kibble recommended to me by my sister who has been a boutique breeder for decades. Typically a litter every year or two. Not a mass breeder like some kennels. In addition to the kibble they get a lot of vegetables and butcher bones for clean, healthy teeth. I agree that most dog treats are horrible and my dogs never get any manufactured treats.
People should know that a dog being an "AKC registered pure breed" in absolutely no way indicates a well bred dog, it just mean's it is from a pure line but lots and lots of "pure bred" dogs has serious genetic problems due to genetic bottle-necking and inbreeding.
I love my pure bred Vizslas, they are wonderful dogs, both retired show dogs, but I also have my little guy, a Jack Russell mix and he is fantastic too. Honestly, for someone who just wants a loving companion dog with no aspirations to show a dog, you are better off with a mixed breed from a local shelter. Unless you are buying from an elite breeder you are more likely to have health issues with a poorly bred "pure" than you would with a mutt. Mutts generally have a much healthier diversity of genetics which can often produce an overall healthier dog.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Don't know if I mentioned it above, but after seeing what the change in food did for the dogs, we did the same for the cat.

We changed him to high-density, high protein, high-PRICE cat food - and in just a couple of months he's lost a sh*tload of belly and is way more active and adventurous.
He also gets his share of appropriate "Real Food" like fish and raw meat. (Cats are carnivores, right?)

The point is, we all need to look at what we're feeding our best friends.
Best put this way:

"Would you raise your children on only meal-replacement bars?"
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

There is one specie of dogs I don't like ... Yorkies Both my neighbours on each side of me have one and I can't sit on my deck and read without both of them barking at me without one breathe of air :evil: They bark at birds, ants ... you name it
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Sadly, both of mine are starting suddenly to show their age, and I fear that I will not have them with me as long as I had hoped. After these two go, I will not have any more pets, especially dogs, it has become too hard to lose them.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

rumpus wrote:until there is a dog bite incident and the dog usually is put down.....r
My first Rottweiler reached almost 150 lbs. Although he was gentle as a puppy he was big enough and mean-looking enough to stop your heart. I did not carry additional insurance, but whenever we traveled with him by car I would carry a 9mm pistol under my jacket. I knew that if he got loose and started "bothering" somebody (when we stopped to water/walk him) it would break my heart but I would have to shoot him right then and there. At around 8 I had to put him down for other reasons. The next "Rotty" was a rescue and waaaaay too unpredictable. I've had dogs all my life, but I'm taking a break for now. When I walk around the neighborhood I spend half my time petting other dogs I encounter.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

For you "Dobie" lovers.........
* click the thumbnail below

“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House

Return to “Open Chat”