ATTN!...Intel CPU owners (Spectre,Meltdown,Foreshadow, flaws)

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ArtGirl

Re: ATTN!...Intel CPU owners (Spectre & Meltdown flaws)

Post by ArtGirl »

Pjotr wrote:
ArtGirl wrote:Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I'm getting nothing show up when running the test, but am running the patched 4.4 and 4.13. Not sure what's happening there.
What does this command give:

Code: Select all

uname -rv
I ran it, and it says:
4.13.0-26-generic #29~16.04.2-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 9 22:00:44 UTC 2018
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Copy/paste the dmesg test and its output, in full, in your next message. Let's see what that says....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Pjotr wrote:Copy/paste the dmesg test and its output, in full, in your next message. Let's see what that says....
Sorry about this, especially on a Sunday. Unfortunately I have nothing to paste; I copy/paste the command, and the cursor just blinks on the following line.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

What does this command give:

arch
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Pjotr wrote:What does this command give:

arch
That code results in:
x86_64
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

This is weird. :?
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

There's another way to check, without running the widely-available script, @ArtGirl, but I suspect you'll get similar results:

try grep CONFIG_PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION=y /boot/config-`uname -r` && echo "patched" || echo "unpatched" in the terminal.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Thanks pjotr and chrisuk :)

It is, pjotr ... some commands just don't result in anything on my machine, but thanks for the instructions. No idea why some don't run; all that's different is the vpn, over the last month or so.

That worked, chrisuk! Thanks. Something the machine decides to answer to, lol.

CONFIG_PAGE_TABLE_ISOLATION=y
patched
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I get the exact same results as Artgirl (including the lack of result from the dmesg | grep isolation command).

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Moem wrote:I get the exact same results as Artgirl (including the lack of result from the dmesg | grep isolation command).
Hmmm ... our machines must be hibernating for winter, lol. A mystery, for sure. :)
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

No mysteries in IT world! What if you type this?

/bin/dmesg
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi chrisuk, artgirl, pjotr, and moem...i have watched this post with great interest and i now have the same result as artgirl and moem showing as patched...thanks chrisuk for that line of code...this one seems to work and show results...thanks again all who have posted results until finding solution...question to all?...since we know have a whopping 22 pages of posts, and all contributors here helping out and finding out together the different patching solutions such as...microcode updates...the proper kernel updates and the "flags" for both the chrome/chromium browsers and the firefox browser for its first party "flags,...should i know mark this thread as "solved"?...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi bigeasy....HUUUUUUGE list...ufw block? on many items etc...DAMIEN
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

BigEasy wrote:No mysteries in IT world! What if you type this?

/bin/dmesg
The Matrix, lol. Copy and pasting this would take the thread to 44+ pages. :lol:
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

ArtGirl, your output is OK now. What it means? You executed exactly those dmesg binary as designed. Binaries located in /bin.
Another question why your terminal executed something another case type simple "dmesg" (without full path to it). May be some wrong alias?
Last edited by BigEasy on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ DAMIEN1307, .......
DAMIEN1307 wrote:.should i know mark this thread as "solved"?...
LM kernels have not been patched for Spectre 1 and Spectre 2 yet. Many LM users are still waiting for Intel to release microcode updates for their older and lower-end processors. Spectre 2 requires both Linux kernels and CPU microcodes to be patched.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:hi chrisuk, artgirl, pjotr, and moem...i have watched this post with great interest and i now have the same result as artgirl and moem showing as patched...thanks chrisuk for that line of code...this one seems to work and show results...thanks again all who have posted results until finding solution...question to all?...since we know have a whopping 22 pages of posts, and all contributors here helping out and finding out together the different patching solutions such as...microcode updates...the proper kernel updates and the "flags" for both the chrome/chromium browsers and the firefox browser for its first party "flags,...should i know mark this thread as "solved"?...DAMIEN
Hi Damien1307. Certainly a very useful thread to start, and glad you're seeing a result now too. Not sure about how to mark the thread, but Moem will be able to advise. :)
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

BigEasy wrote:ArtGirl, your output is OK now. What it means? You executed exactly those dmesg binary as designed. Binaries located in /bin.
Another question why your terminal executed something another case type simple "dmesg" (without full path to it). May be some wrong alias?
Thanks BigEasy, and good to learn what it was doing. :) Not sure about aliases. I copied/pasted from here straight into terminal, no sudo or anything extra, so am not sure why it won't respond to some commands.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I agree that it's a highly informative thread! I also agree that it does not need to be marked as SOLVED since it's not really a support request thread. It's more of an ongoing conversation about specific subjects.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

thanks for your reply artgirl as well as moem...hi michael louwe...i do know that spectre is not "solved" yet as well as kernels catching up through the pipeline, but i figure that when they do, they will carry with them their own issues...this posting was really meant for what we do in the meanwhile in preparation for these things to eventually catch up to what we as a community have already been able to do for ourselves in anticipation of spectre being patched fully as well as a probability of many kernel patches to come to fully patch everything to do with meltdown/spectre...as im sure these "patches" to come down will take many months of work before we get them, i feel that we have probably mitigated as much as we can do at this time...these patches are really going to have their very own unique problems when they finally do arrive and can then have people post at that time with any problems/solutions unique to that time and place...regards to all...i will of course keep it open if that is the wishes of all of you...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Open Chat”