"Rebuilt" my machine...now what do I do...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Citizen229

Re: "Rebuilt" my machine...now what do I do...

Post by Citizen229 »

OMG i just remembered diskpark command.. seems so silly now adays lol
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BG405 wrote:I built an AMD K6-2 500MHz system back in the day. Was after a 550 but they were a bit scarce at the time. Updated the BIOS to allow >32GB IDE hard drives & used this to partition such drives for use in older machines, giving for example my Pentium I 40GB+ storage avoiding the dodgy dynamic drive overlays. All good fun. Glad the proceeds from the K6 allowed development of the Athlon, the following build; 1.2GHz although with its recent resurrection Linux reports it as 800MHz, probably doesn't see the multiplier. Worked fine anyway. :)
Sounds like you and I went down the same path. I had another Athlon after the 1.2, but stopped when they locked the multipliers...as well as getting free Intel CPUs...;)
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Citizen229 wrote:OMG i just remembered diskpark command.. seems so silly now adays lol
LOL! Indeed!

Now...do you remember using DEBUG to low-level format your MFM drive? :D

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Arch_Enemy wrote:Now...do you remember using DEBUG to low-level format your MFM drive? :D
:mrgreen:
I for one have forgotten what I used to get the old 20MB band-stepper working, must plug that machine in soon & have a look at the utilities. I expect that floppy drive will need cleaning! Might just swap it for one I did earlier.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BG405 wrote:
Arch_Enemy wrote:Now...do you remember using DEBUG to low-level format your MFM drive? :D
:mrgreen:
I for one have forgotten what I used to get the old 20MB band-stepper working, must plug that machine in soon & have a look at the utilities. I expect that floppy drive will need cleaning! Might just swap it for one I did earlier.

LOL!

I am almost finished with my current Swiss Army knife. A 7 port front panel USB 3.0 hub, a trayless caddy for 2.5" drives and a card reader.

I do a lot of data recovery for people; that is, what can be recovered without actually opening the drive, and I also clean virii for fun and (mostly) profit. I can isolate all my drives, boot from a USB stick or DVD and not have to run the risk of infecting my own drives. I can copy their data to USB or 8G DVD disks.

All I have left to do is either replace the old Dell 4-port USB and audio "front panel" (a raw looking thing that's supposed to be behind the front panel) or finish it off with a custom face plate.

Hmmm....time to start thinking about building the next one...

Return to “Open Chat”