Meltdown, Spectre: unfixable security flaws

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Meltdown, Spectre: unfixable security flaws

Post by Pepi »

Appears the days of the 32 bit hardware are DONE :shock:
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

http://kroah.com/log/blog/2018/01/06/meltdown-status/
Straight out from the horse's mouth...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Everyone,

FYI:
​How Linux is dealing with Meltdown and Spectre Jan. 4 2018
"Linux can deal with Meltdown and Spectre, the fundamental chip security problems, but that doesn't mean Linux's developers are happy about it."
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-linux- ... d-spectre/

Woo-yay, Meltdown CPU fixes are here. Now, Spectre flaws will haunt tech industry for years
Countermeasures to protect apps from attack, Francisco 5 Jan 2018
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/0 ... explained/

A Word About Spectre And Meltdown, 5th January, 2018
"You'll have seen in the press over the last couple of days that a serious security bug has been discovered which exists in many processors made by Intel and others over the past decade. There are 2 bugs, that have been named Spectre and Meltdown. They're serious, and could potentially allow malicious software to access information on your PC. Although the bug is in the processor itself, its effects can be largely mitigated by a patch to the operating system. If you're worried, don't be. Almost every computer in the world is affected by these bugs, and the chances of you being personally targeted by hackers as a result of it is pretty much non-existent."
https://www.techsupportalert.com/conten ... ltdown.htm

TIP: There are sometimes options in the computer's Bios for allowing remote support, and or remote management, turn them off, save bios changes, reboot (restart).

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Pjotr wrote:OK, relief is at hand, namely on January, 9:
https://insights.ubuntu.com/2018/01/04/ ... abilities/

Apparently those Ubuntu devs have worked through the Christmas and New Year holidays.... Not much fun for them.

Some things that stand out: it seems that for Ubuntu 16.04.x (and therefore Mint 18.x) only the 4.4 kernel series and the 4.13 kernel series will be fixed. Furthermore, these fixes are only for 64-bit kernels.
hmmmmmm...
I'm running LMDE/2 which uses kernel 3.16

however: I use only AMD chips which are apparently less vulnerable
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

What is with these non-stop Meltdown and Spectre threads on LMF?

I'm not saying M & S is a non-issue, but it's like everyone is just going around screaming "The sky is falling! The sky is falling! OMG!"

It's a good thing it's just this, and not something causing true despondency. Can you imagine the number of spontaneous suicides we'd be seeing?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Portreve wrote:What is with these non-stop Meltdown and Spectre threads on LMF?

I'm not saying M & S is a non-issue, but it's like everyone is just going around screaming "The sky is falling! The sky is falling! OMG!"

It's a good thing it's just this, and not something causing true despondency. Can you imagine the number of spontaneous suicides we'd be seeing?
good post :D

i was thinking of adding a note to the other thread on M&S but I'll put it here instead as i made the original post -- not that that matters at all, but,--

Possibly useful Info:

Ubuntu Updates for the Meltdown / Spectre Vulnerabilities

excerpt
Ubuntu users of the 64-bit x86 architecture (aka, amd64) can expect updated kernels by the original January 9, 2018 coordinated release date, and sooner if possible. Updates will be available for:

Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful) — Linux 4.13 HWE
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial) — Linux 4.4 (and 4.4 HWE)
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty) — Linux 3.13
Ubuntu 12.04 ESM** (Precise) — Linux 3.2
Note that an Ubuntu Advantage license is required for the 12.04 ESM kernel update, as Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is past its end-of-life
originally I thought just the 4.4 and 4.13 kernels were being updated but when I googled this morning I found the above note

looks like the 3.13 kernel is going to be updated afterall; hopefully us LMDE/2 folks will receive the update,-- except I'm showing kernel 3.16 not 3.13
Last edited by mike acker on Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Well, at the moment, I'm running a 4.10 kernel, so it should be fairly interesting to see what winds up happening.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi portreve...ive recently been told by the CEO of another linux distribution that the 4:10 series kernel is in acuality the 4.4 hwe kernel...why they do not just tells us that is a wonder to me, but i trust the source as he tells me that is what my other linux distro is based on...DAMIEN

Return to “Open Chat”