a "Sea Change" in integrated graphics?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

a "Sea Change" in integrated graphics?

Post by mike acker »

reading this:

Intel launches five Core chips with Radeon graphics from rival AMD

got me to wondering.... is the trend toward using a discrete graphics card going under?

we are using integrated graphics on 3 of 4 LMDE machines we have built around here and it seems quite adequate. one machine has a 4-core AMD chip that requires a graphics card and has an entry level card installed. this also works quite well

but for a office desktop -- which is what the boxes are -- the integrated graphics seems to work well enough.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: a "Sea Change" in integrated graphics?

Post by catweazel »

mike acker wrote:is the trend toward using a discrete graphics card going under?
It's highly doubtful in the near to medium term. High-end discrete cards have enormous cooling requirements and are used in applications where integrated video simply doesn't cut it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Obviously this won't compete with high end discrete cards, but it adds a nice middle ground between the compact but lively on-die graphics of the AMD APUs and the raw grunt of discrete graphics cards.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

MintBean wrote:Obviously this won't compete with high end discrete cards, but it adds a nice middle ground between the compact but lively on-die graphics of the AMD APUs and the raw grunt of discrete graphics cards.
Depends on one's definition of "high end" I suppose, given this below quote from the article...
Intel says its new chips will be 7 percent faster in 3DMark versus a Core i7-7700HQ system with an Nvidia GTX 1060 Max-Q (6GB) chip accompanying it, and up to 13 percent faster in games.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Indeed, I didn't realise just how powerful the 1060 Max-Q was.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

This post was the first I heard of it. Pretty unexpected and pretty interesting. I don't do notebooks when I can avoid it but if this will eventually extend to "regular" CPUs and motherboards, I believe I've just identified my next system...

Return to “Open Chat”