Chat about just about anything else
mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

a "Sea Change" in integrated graphics?

Post by mike acker » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:32 am

reading this:

Intel launches five Core chips with Radeon graphics from rival AMD

got me to wondering.... is the trend toward using a discrete graphics card going under?

we are using integrated graphics on 3 of 4 LMDE machines we have built around here and it seems quite adequate. one machine has a 4-core AMD chip that requires a graphics card and has an entry level card installed. this also works quite well

but for a office desktop -- which is what the boxes are -- the integrated graphics seems to work well enough.
¡Viva la Resistencia!

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Re: a "Sea Change" in integrated graphics?

Post by catweazel » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:05 pm

mike acker wrote:is the trend toward using a discrete graphics card going under?
It's highly doubtful in the near to medium term. High-end discrete cards have enormous cooling requirements and are used in applications where integrated video simply doesn't cut it.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Obviously this won't compete with high end discrete cards, but it adds a nice middle ground between the compact but lively on-die graphics of the AMD APUs and the raw grunt of discrete graphics cards.

rene
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rene » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:10 pm

MintBean wrote:Obviously this won't compete with high end discrete cards, but it adds a nice middle ground between the compact but lively on-die graphics of the AMD APUs and the raw grunt of discrete graphics cards.
Depends on one's definition of "high end" I suppose, given this below quote from the article...
Intel says its new chips will be 7 percent faster in 3DMark versus a Core i7-7700HQ system with an Nvidia GTX 1060 Max-Q (6GB) chip accompanying it, and up to 13 percent faster in games.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:38 pm

Indeed, I didn't realise just how powerful the 1060 Max-Q was.

rene
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rene » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:52 pm

This post was the first I heard of it. Pretty unexpected and pretty interesting. I don't do notebooks when I can avoid it but if this will eventually extend to "regular" CPUs and motherboards, I believe I've just identified my next system...

Return to “Open chat”