[SOLVED]January 9, 2018: Has anyone received the promised security updates for Meltdown?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Sir Charles

[SOLVED]January 9, 2018: Has anyone received the promised security updates for Meltdown?

Post by Sir Charles »

I just wondered if anybody has received the kernel security patches which were due to roll out today?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: January 9, 2018: Has anyone received the promised security updates for Meltdown?

Post by xenopeek »

No, as they are not released yet. You can follow progress here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/Kn ... ndMeltdown

Firefox has already been updated on all Linux Mint editions and that has mitigation built in so that JavaScript can't exploit these bugs. What other untrusted code do you run on your system, aside from JavaScript from websites? For most home users upgrading their web browser effectively removes the theoretical threat that these bugs pose.
Sir Charles

Re: January 9, 2018: Has anyone received the promised security updates for Meltdown?

Post by Sir Charles »

Alright, thank you for your reply!
The only applications whose PPA I have added to my sources are Grub Customizer, Ukuu and Firefox Nightly.
I have installed Chrome dev edition as well by downloading the .deb-file from the official site. The PPA was added automatically to the Software Sources.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You should check yourself if those web browsers from those repositories already include the mitigation. I can only speak for Firefox from Linux Mint's repositories.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

I know that Firefox Nightly does include the patches. I suppose that Chrome Dev also has them implemented since the feature were going to be included in version 54 and above but I have to check that out. BTW, do you think installing JavaScript blocker extension is good as a second line of defence?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I think that's pointless. Just use a browser with mitigation and move on. There are no tangible threats out there and these bugs are not trivial to exploit.

BTW, LMDE 2 has just received kernel 3.16.51-3+deb8u1 which fixes variant 3 (Meltdown).
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Sure, that's good to hear, thank you!
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Security notice: Meltdown and Spectre
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3496
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Question:
Has anyone received the promised security updates for Meltdown?
Answer:
Yes, those security updates which match the software installed on my Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit.

Kernel:

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux voyager 4.4.0-109-generic #132-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 9 19:52:39 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Firefox:

Code: Select all

$ dpkg --list firefox | grep "^ii"
ii  firefox        57.0.4+build1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 amd64        Safe and easy web browser from Mozilla
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replaced K4.4.0-108 kernel info (09.01.2017) by (bugfixed) K4.4.0-109 kernel info (10.01.2018)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

But KPTI patches for 4.13, not yet?
Last edited by Sir Charles on Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

So they released a new 4.4 kernel? I've gotten nothing yet for 4.13. :?:
Sir Charles

[SOLVED] January 9, 2018: Has anyone received the promised security updates for Meltdown?

Post by Sir Charles »

Schultz wrote:So they released a new 4.4 kernel? I've gotten nothing yet for 4.13. :?:
Good news! The long awaited kernel update for 4.13 is finally there!
cheers
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED]January 9, 2018: Has anyone received the promised security updates for Meltdown?

Post by karlchen »

Oh, I am so excited.
Last night I received the security for my kernel K4.4.0-108(131).
This evening I received the bugfix for the security fix, kernel K4.4.0-109(132).
I cannot tell how much I am looking forward to tomorrow's kernel security or bugfix or maybe even a combination of both.
I love daily kernel updates. :lol:
--
Seriously: I do really appreciate that the Ubuntu people found and corrected their mistake within 24 hours.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Sir Charles

Re: [SOLVED]January 9, 2018: Has anyone received the promised security updates for Meltdown?

Post by Sir Charles »

I was terrified before for even mentioning the kernel, now it seems that I can't get enough of them. Just bring them on :!:

Return to “Open Chat”