Fountain pens and carpal tunnel syndrome

Chat about just about anything else
MurphCID
Level 4
Level 4

Fountain pens and carpal tunnel syndrome

Post by MurphCID » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:07 am

I have been using fountain pens for a number of years at the suggestion of my doctor. He told me that if you either have or are at risk for carpal tunnel issues, a fountain pen is ideal. I have used Shaeffer pens for years mostly due to the cartridge filling system. But I just got a Pilot Prera with a converter and bottle ink. Very nice. I really like that it makes my handwriting look better than with a regular pen, and there is also little to no hand strain. I tend to prefer a medium nib, but there are some nice fine point pens. My next goal is to get a Mont Blanc 149 pen. I have also started using bottled ink, and rather like it. Plus using a fountain pen is a great conversation starter with people since most people have never seen one.

Anyone else use fountain pens? Anyone else care?

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Fountain pens and carpal tunnel syndrome

Post by BenTrabetere » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:57 pm

MurphCID wrote:Anyone else use fountain pens? Anyone else care?
I have been using a fountain pen since 2001 - I was working trade shows at the time, and people were constantly walking off with my pen. You would be surprised at how quickly a thieving bastard can walk off with a Mont Blanc. I went to my favorite pen store to replace the THIRD pen in as many shows, and the shop keep asked if I had ever considered a fountain pen. He declined to set me up with a pen that had an exploding ink cartridge that could be remotely detonated.....

My first was a low-end Mont Blanc, if there is such a thing, and I was forever sold. I hope you have learned to never, ever let someone write with your fountain pen. My idiot boss grabbed my pen a month after I purchased it and was scribbling away before I could react. Replacement nibs are expensive.
My next goal is to get a Mont Blanc 149 pen.
Before you drop a house payment on a pen, take a look at the retractable Pilot Vanishing Point. It is my favorite pen. It is distinctive, it is easy to fill, and it is a smooth writer.

It is the one pen that no one has ever tried to steal at a trade show - I had people take it from my jacket pocket (yes, they will do that), but they all had that 'I am holding a snake' look on their face when they realized it was not a "normal" pen. It gave me enough time to give a 'don't use that ... it leaks' warning.

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Portreve » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:33 pm

One of the people I follow on YouTube, Fran Blanche, did a video on fountain pens. Fran mostly does interesting tech-related videos, but veers off into art areas as well. Lemme see if I can find the link...

YouTube.com: FranTest: Affordable Fountain Pens

You may want to check out some of Fran's other videos, which span the gamut from music-related to off-the-deep-end electronics to building reconstructions of MIT's Apollo-era guidance computer input panels.
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:03 pm

I was a bit of a pen geek in the past... I used to write with a fountain pen every day years ago... I have a small collection that I don't use enough...

Why the Montblanc? When I was shopping for a nice gift for a friend to commemorate an event in their life, I thought a nice pen would be just the ticket... looked at some nice pens... I picked up a Montblanc and was completely unimpressed. My impression was that it was a cheap plastic pen with a crap warranty for a lot of $... I have never picked up one since! I much prefer "stealthy" quality pens like Parker, Shaeffer, or Cross (Townsend line) fountain pens with good warranties.

In case you haven't already found it this is a good research tool for FP addicts... :mrgreen:

MurphCID
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MurphCID » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:48 pm

The Mont Blanc is just a wish, I really like the Pilot Prera I just got from Amazon, and plan on the Heritage 74 as my next one. I have used a Shaeffer for years and love it. If someone wants to use my pen, I hand it to them without the cap so they have to give it back. One of our local judges used it while he was signing one of my search warrants, and he went out and purchased one for himself. I like the Pilot pens pretty well.

Telyx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Telyx » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:54 am

About 15 years ago my dad started making pens as a hobby (turned wood for the outside), and ended up selling quite a few at a local office supply store. The ball-point pens used either Cross refills (for the "Mont Blanc" style pens) or Parker refills (for the others)--we cut two of the ones that used Parker refills short and drilled the tips out a little so they could use Zebra F-refills. One of my favorite pens he made for me is a fountain pen in zebra wood. When I had a job that didn't involve risk of losing or damaging a pen, that's the one I used every day. After seeing this thread, I think I'll get it out and clean it up.

Return to “Open chat”