Check Linux for Spectre or Meltdown vulnerability

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
dark

Check Linux for Spectre or Meltdown vulnerability

Post by dark »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Check Linux for Spectre or Meltdown vulnerability

Post by Pjotr »

Useful, but note that this checker has only limited value. I advise to read the disclaimer on its GitHub page. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Trusting a software (a script in this case), where the author(s) is obviously not fully informed, appears as a bad advice. On GitHub they say:
AMD and ARM processors are marked as immune to some or all of these vulnerabilities (except some specific ARM models).
Whatever "some specific" might mean; this is what ARM lists. And even AMD had to correct their first statement about the vulnerability of their processors. Somebody who spreads such information as the author of the script does likely more mistakes and cannot be trusted.
SuperSapien
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SuperSapien »

I wonder if on a nonadmin account could negate some the vulnerabilities with Spectre or Meltdown
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

This crashes every time I try it, whether running as root or otherwise, and I agree the disclaimer seems to discount the need to run it. I wouldn't normally have risked running it as root, but, with many referencing running this, I took a leap. I'd just do the reliable patches and not run this script.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

I thought to be on the side of caution and not to try this tool. My kernel is patched but I don't have the microcode update. So I know that I am vulnerable. No need for a tool to tell me that.

Return to “Open Chat”