U.S. Nuclear Missiles Are Still Controlled By Floppy Disks

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
SuperSapien
Level 4
Level 4

U.S. Nuclear Missiles Are Still Controlled By Floppy Disks

Post by SuperSapien »

You read right the U.S. nuclear missiles are still controlled by floppy disks, and there logic is if its not broke don't fix it.
Watch the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8OOp5_G-R4
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: U.S. Nuclear Missiles Are Still Controlled By Floppy Disks

Post by Pepi »

I remember seeing a hour show on this a few years ago. They even showed a locking security door blocked open with a pipe because it didn't work anymore :shock: Very scary IMHO
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

The system is pretty much hack-proof. To goof up these systems you'd have to get an 8 inch floppy disk with your code on it, have someone bring it into a top security command center, have them put it into the drive and then run the program. Modems and dial up? That's an easy fix; unplug the phone line. Yeah, it may be old garbage but it's secure old garbage. Besides, most of the U.S. nuclear missile strike capability is with the US Navy on the Ohio class boomers with Trident missiles. Talk about a closed system; they're hundreds of feet under water. I think this is okay.
SuperSapien
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SuperSapien »

CaptainKirksChair wrote:The system is pretty much hack-proof. To goof up these systems you'd have to get an 8 inch floppy disk with your code on it, have someone bring it into a top security command center, have them put it into the drive and then run the program. Modems and dial up? That's an easy fix; unplug the phone line. Yeah, it may be old garbage but it's secure old garbage. Besides, most of the U.S. nuclear missile strike capability is with the US Navy on the Ohio class boomers with Trident missiles. Talk about a closed system; they're hundreds of feet under water. I think this is okay.
Agreed and good point. :)
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

CaptainKirksChair wrote:The system is pretty much hack-proof.
I am for global disarmament. Not only is it hack-proof but idiot-proof too :!:
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The comments above very much remind me of the description in NuBSG of the Galactica: deliberately antiquated and purposely limited to prevent meaningful compromise by (ostensibly Cylon) threat forces.

The main issue I have, whether in a real- or fictional world scenario, is that there comes a point where older hardware is a liability and not a benefit, no matter how cleanly and awesomely designed. Parts break down. Parts stop being made at some point, and in-service parts which experience an EOL event can no longer be replaced.

I know this is a GNU+Linux related message board, but I'm going to say it anyway: I would feel infinitely better and safer and more protected, as a citizen and a tax payer, if all our military systems, beginning with the most out of date ones, and then progressing up through the newest, were replaced with multiply-redundant industrial-grade modern hardware, whether networked or air gapped, running a thoroughly tested and exhaustively beat to death until it can't be made to fail distribution of GNU+Linux and all the software used was likewise libre-licensed open code which was itself exhaustively tested and beat to death.

I don't trust proprietary software, and I don't think our military or government — or, indeed, anyone's — should trust proprietary software either.
Marziano wrote:I am for global disarmament. Not only is it hack-proof but idiot-proof too :!:
While I agree, I think the only way that ever could happen is if we get to a point where we recognize each other as fellow human beings, instead of seeing each other as Germans, or Haitians, or Americans, or whites, or blacks, or even men or women. We're all one species who are only any other particular thing by freak chance of our birth.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Portreve wrote:
Marziano wrote:I am for global disarmament. Not only is it hack-proof but idiot-proof too :!:
While I agree, I think the only way that ever could happen is if we get to a point where we recognize each other as fellow human beings, instead of seeing each other as Germans, or Haitians, or Americans, or whites, or blacks, or even men or women. We're all one species who are only any other particular thing by freak chance of our birth.
For getting to that point it is never too soon it only can be too late.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yeah - - do remember reading a few of these articles, over the years,
and when compared to the "modern 5 1/4" disks, those 8" disks, can't hold much information.
8)

maybe they should retrofit this level of system over in Hawaii ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Pierre wrote:maybe they should retrofit this level of system over in Hawaii ?.
Ya think? :shock: :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

CaptainKirksChair wrote:The system is pretty much hack-proof. To goof up these systems you'd have to get an 8 inch floppy disk with your code on it, have someone bring it into a top security command center, have them put it into the drive and then run the program. Modems and dial up? That's an easy fix; unplug the phone line. Yeah, it may be old garbage but it's secure old garbage. Besides, most of the U.S. nuclear missile strike capability is with the US Navy on the Ohio class boomers with Trident missiles. Talk about a closed system; they're hundreds of feet under water. I think this is okay.
Yep, it it ain't broke, don't fix it! :) Particularly when "it" is the control system for nukes...
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Open Chat”