Do you use Windows?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Do you currently use Windows?

No, never
31%
Yes, but only in a virtual machine (rarely, regularly or often)
17%
Yes, on bare metal, but very rarely (eg. for things like updating certain appliances/software)
19%
Yes, on bare metal, but only for gaming
4%
Yes, on bare metal, but only for work
15%
Yes, on bare metal, often and for different things/reasons
12%
Yes, I use it as my only OS, or I use Windows and another non-Linux based OS.
3%
No, I do not use either Windows or any Linux-based OS.
No votes

Total votes: 101

Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Do you use Windows?

Post by Moem »

Just for fun and because I'm curious. Inspired by a very recent topic.
It's not my intention to start a OS war in here, just to see how diverse we are in our use of OSes. So let's play nice. :D
And if none of the answers is a perfect fit, then please pick the one that's closest to your reality.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Do you use Windows?

Post by whm1974 »

I'm giving some thought to taking classes this year and now I am wondering if I will need a copy of Windows depending on class requirements.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

As my answer to the question "Do you use Windows?" I selected Yes, on bare metal, but only for work.

The truth is, however, it would come closer to the truth if I could select 2 answers and rephrase the second one to include VM's:
  • home computers:
    Yes, on bare metal, but very rarely (eg. for things like updating certain appliances/software)
  • for work:
    Yes, on bare metal and on VM's, but only for work
Companies are so foolishly in love with Windows and Windows software; you cannot get around using Windows if you work in an IT department.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

heres my vote moem...to quote an old irish song..."no nay never, no nay never no more"...i guess im just the "wild rover" nay never, no more...lol...DAMIEN

ps...i DID click "no" and entered my vote on your voter meter...you should tell everyone they are on the honour system here, one vote per person only...lol
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I knew it... there's always at least one option you don't think of. Sorry, Karlchen.
And DAMIEN, I think this poll isn't important enough for anyone to try and cheat :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

When I have to touch a computer at work, I curse out loud.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

By mistake, I chose this:
Yes, on bare metal, often and for different things/reasons
but my vote goes to:
and actually only for updating sometimes. That partition is just gathering dust on my drive :)
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Only voted once and can say that I've been Windows free for years.

Sure glad the question wasn't how many different Linux OS and flavors you use. I would of ran out of fingers and toes to count on. :oops:
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

I use Windows 7 (dual boot) once a year for income tax preparation and e-filing. Not sure what I'll do when W7 is no longer supported. On-line tax prep? IRS Free File? pencil and paper? Pay an accountant? At any rate, I will not use Windows 10!
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

there are a few Windows based machine in this House,
- the XYL uses one, herself - - was for her Open University needs.

and another one, which is my "new " 64bit desktop, that dual boots with Ultimate Edition.
also a newly acquired Laptop, that has win-10 on it, mainly so that I'm able to keep familiar with that version.
but, this Laptop is a Tri-boot Linux only setup, & which is my Main Machine.

there is some Laptops on a table, which are all win-7, & currently being re-furbished ..

most folks, who know me, also know that I'm some sort of Linux Geek.
:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Yes, for two specific programs. I bought a cheap refurbished computer off of Amazon with Windows 7. It's not connected to the internet so I don't care when Windows 7 becomes end of life.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Yes, in a VM only, but very rarely.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I have Windows 7 in a virtual machine. I set it up primarily for taxes and iTunes, and to access the company portal for a former employer. I also installed MS Office 2003 and Adobe CS2 for those rare occasions that require those programs.

I no longer need iTunes - I switched to an Android when my iPhone died last November. I have no use for my former employer or its company portal, I may do my taxes online this year, and I do not recall the last time I used either Office or CS2.

The only Windows application I use somewhat frequently is Acrobat Pro, and it runs surprisingly well in ReactOS.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
andyO
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andyO »

I have no choice at work, as the software we have to use is windows specific...

At home though I only open windows when I want to air the house. I've been a Linux user, dual booting for several years, until late 2013 when I completely removed windows from my home PCs and installed Mint. :)
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

I must use Windows at work, so that was the button I ticked. At home, I have maybe ten computer in use, and most of them have some form of Linux or BSD installed, but a few have Windows. I use whatever works best for the job. My main desktop at home has a Windows VM that gets used almost every day.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

My answer also does not have a good fit among the selections...
I use Windows and Mint almost interchangeably - from 60-40 (Windows-Mint) to 50-50.

I am migrating my personal usage more-and-more to Linux, but my clients are (essentially) all Windows. I have to keep up with Windows so I can support them (even though I take and use my Mint laptop when I go onsite).

Side story FWIW: Several years ago I took my dual-boot laptop when I went with my "semi" business-partner to visit one of HIS clients. The business owner's security-camera system, which my partner had installed, had failed (the DVR would not boot). We tried diagnosing the problem with my partner's Windows laptop. We popped the DVR case and pulled the HDD. Using an external IDE adapter we could not see anything on the drive - it appeared to be unformatted. So, thinking that the DVR-OS was probably Linux, I booted my Linux laptop, connected the DVR-drive to it, and was able to see all the files and partition structure. The problem turned out to be that the drive had simply run out of space. I deleted enough stuff so that it would boot, then used its own utilities to re-format the data-storage partition. That client was a hundred-percent Windows user (he thought), but without my Linux PC he would have been buying a new DVR.
Who knew I'd have to have Linux to support my Windows client ?? :wink: 8)
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

tovian wrote:My answer also does not have a good fit among the selections...
I use Windows and Mint almost interchangeably - from 60-40 (Windows-Mint) to 50-50.

I am migrating my personal usage more-and-more to Linux, but my clients are (essentially) all Windows. I have to keep up with Windows so I can support them (even though I take and use my Mint laptop when I go onsite).
To me that sounds a lot like "Yes, on bare metal, often and for different things/reasons", doesn't it? The question wasn't 'do you like Windows', after all.

tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Now that you've parted the haze I have gone back and checked the option you noted.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

No. Last summer I ditched my VM with win7.
The last time I used win7 is about 2 years ago just to deDRM an ePub. The later ePubs I bought had social or no DRM, so I didn't need win anymore.
Harfud
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Harfud »

The last Windows I used was 7, I have never used 8, 8.1 or 10.

I fled to Mint when the Windows experience became all too much, I do dabble with other distros and was using Fedora Workstation 27 earlier today but the vast majority of my computer use is Mint and LMDE.

Mint has been good for my mental health lol I really don't know how I put up with Windows for as long as I did.

Thank you Mint, I'm eternally grateful.

Return to “Open Chat”