I got fired from my job last week because of my autism :(

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ylevental

I got fired from my job last week because of my autism :(

Post by ylevental »

I worked at a place for people with disabilities. For some reason, they had me doing customer service work over the phone. I guess because from the skills I have that fit the jobs they have, it pays the most. Somehow, I did well at the lower level, but they required me to move to a higher level and the pace and unpredictability became too much for me. :(

They said I did my best, but it still wasn't good enough for their requirements. I think I know of a way to get this job back eventually, but it would take me a while to explain.

BTW, I understand technology really well because of my autism, and I resent using nonfree software developed by Microsoft and Apple, so I am very glad that Linux Mint exists :D.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: I got fired from my job last week because of my autism :(

Post by jimallyn »

I don't know where you live, but in some places it might be illegal to fire you because of a disability. I would check into that. But since you do tech well, you should also look for something that suits you better. There is somebody out there that would just love to have an employee like you.

My grandson is autistic, and there are also a couple of Aspies in my family. A few years back, I came across a test online, and they said that autistics usually score 16 or higher. (Or maybe it was 18 or higher.) I scored 36. One of my sisters scored 36 also, although neither of us have been diagnosed with an ASD.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

ylevental wrote:I worked at a place for people with disabilities. For some reason, they had me doing customer service work over the phone. I guess because from the skills I have that fit the jobs they have, it pays the most. Somehow, I did well at the lower level, but they required me to move to a higher level and the pace and unpredictability became too much for me. :(

They said I did my best, but it still wasn't good enough for their requirements. I think I know of a way to get this job back eventually, but it would take me a while to explain.

BTW, I understand technology really well because of my autism, and I resent using nonfree software developed by Microsoft and Apple, so I am very glad that Linux Mint exists :D.
So, my first question here is: did the decision-making, presumably manager-level person, actually terminate you? Secondly, did they actually state "We are terminating you due to your autism"?

If you were terminated because of your mental disability from a place which hires people with mental disabilities, then not only might that open them to legal liability, but it certainly serves as a sad commentary on their standards and practices.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Nate

Post by Nate »

Have you considered looking into other work that might suit you better?
I'm autistic myself and having to take calls for several hours a shift would probably leave me wanting to beat my own head in with a hammer. I favour operating machinery like forklifts which either drown out all the background noise with their own noise/have an employer that will allow me to listen to music to drown out all the background noise or security roles in environments that aren't too noisy due to me being very large in size. Try to enter jobs that even if they don't play to your strengths, won't exacerbate any of your conditions, even if it means a little training in something new, you'll be happier for it.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

I work with a guy who is mentally handicapped. In the States, if your employer knows you have a disability, it is their obligation to move you to a position you are capable of doing. You state your previous job you handled well. They should have moved you back to that position. They MAY be in violation of some disabled workplace laws. I say MAY because I do not even know summaries of those laws. I just know where I work our manager tries diligently to keep him working.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Nate wrote:I'm autistic myself and having to take calls for several hours a shift would probably leave me wanting to beat my own head in with a hammer.
lol - funny mind image.

Just as an aside, there are some of us who think that the autism spectrum, far from being some kind of disability, is actually the early stages of the new normal for humanity. We call it evolution, and you are the brave vanguard forcing society to rethink itself.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

@ylevental
I know precious little regarding your disadvantage
I think I know of a way to get this job back eventually
This just seems like a move backward into that same old grind with limited potentials and opportunities.
I think @Nate is offering some good observations based on experiences.
Here is hoping you will move forward to find your deserved rewards, never looking back.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Nate

Post by Nate »

catweazel wrote:
Nate wrote:Just as an aside, there are some of us who think that the autism spectrum, far from being some kind of disability, is actually the early stages of the new normal for humanity. We call it evolution, and you are the brave vanguard forcing society to rethink itself.
From my own experiences, I think disorder would be a more accurate term than disability. We are different from those in the typical ranges, but there are advantages that offset the disadvantages some of which are true for many of us, others which are more specific to the individual (you really can't overstate just how diverse the spectrum is). Making society more accommodating to those differences, would be the ideal, but in the meantime it's still possible to live a satisfactory life if we do what we can to limit the things that stress us in any given ways and play to our strengths wherever possible. That's the advice I'd give to any on the spectrum, it was understanding that and taking steps to do so that made my own life a lot better than it once was.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Nate wrote:
catweazel wrote:
Nate wrote:Just as an aside, there are some of us who think that the autism spectrum, far from being some kind of disability, is actually the early stages of the new normal for humanity. We call it evolution, and you are the brave vanguard forcing society to rethink itself.
From my own experiences, I think disorder would be a more accurate term than disability.
I don't see it as either a disability or a disorder. Here's why:
We are different from those in the typical ranges...
The whole of human experience is on a scale. Everybody is different, and diversity makes the world go round; a bit of a cliché but's that's what I think.
it was understanding that and taking steps to do so that made my own life a lot better than it once was.
I'm genuinely pleased that your life is better. Good on you for having the fortitude to work it out.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Employers seem to always do this: " Your doing such a great job at your current position. We are proud of you. Where do you see yourself in five years?".

Employee: "Well, I really like this position and hopefully I can continue doing a good job here in what I like".

Employer: "Ok, Well, We are going to move you to this position now...."

Then when it doesnt work out they either fire you or make you quit on your own.

The whole thing is - They will find some thing to fire you about. But the real reason is can be a health deal but they are covered because "You are not working out in the new position". Or perhaps they use some lame excuse or something that happened perhaps months ago.

JMO.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
ylevental

Post by ylevental »

Thanks for all the advice, I will have to think about it. I didn't even use the computer much last week because I was in shock.
Rayland-BH

Post by Rayland-BH »

My brother has autism, and for many years he had a job as a regression tester for a software company, despite no formal computer training. He hated the cubicle life, but once his headphones were on, he was an absolute wizard at breaking software in ways no one had ever thought to try. His mantra was "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool," and he attributed his autism to why he excelled at his work.

So, I want to echo the the sentiments of my fellow posters, and suggest you seek job opportunities where your autism is an asset and not a liability. Hang in there, and best of luck to you!
KalEl

Post by KalEl »

ylevental wrote:I worked at a place for people with disabilities. For some reason, they had me doing customer service work over the phone. I guess because from the skills I have that fit the jobs they have, it pays the most. Somehow, I did well at the lower level, but they required me to move to a higher level and the pace and unpredictability became too much for me. :(

You know .. you can read all this information

http://www.who.int/en/
https://www.un.org

Universal Declaration of Human Rights
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal ... man_Rights
SpongebobFan1994

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

Portreve wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:49 pm

So, my first question here is: did the decision-making, presumably manager-level person, actually terminate you? Secondly, did they actually state "We are terminating you due to your autism"?

If you were terminated because of your mental disability from a place which hires people with mental disabilities, then not only might that open them to legal liability, but it certainly serves as a sad commentary on their standards and practices.
My thoughts exactly. I have high-functioning Autism as well, but whenever I've gotten fired, it was never about that. Instead, it was because I couldn't do the job as well as the way they wanted me to, or my behavior on the job was at times inappropriate (thankfully I've learned from those experiences). Granted, my Autism did play a part in my general performance, but I as a person was still responsible for how it affected my performance. Thankfully, I didn't get fired from every place I've worked at (I did quit my job from at least half of them), and I was never treated any differently by my coworkers or bosses. It sounds like your problem was similar to mine where you couldn't meet their requirements by moving at the pace or complete the workload they wanted, so they fired you because of that, not because of your Autism.
Vladimir00

Post by Vladimir00 »

I have PDD-NOS+ schizoid PD+specific phobia (my official diagnosis schizophrenia).Fortunately, I do not need to work.The Russian state pays me some money.

Return to “Open Chat”