Linus Torvalds: " Is Intel really planning on making this sh*t architectural?"

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Sir Charles

Linus Torvalds: " Is Intel really planning on making this sh*t architectural?"

Post by Sir Charles »

Here is what Linus Torvalds thinks about the Intel fiasco:
Is Intel really planning on making this sh*t architectural? Has
anybody talked to them and told them they are f*cking insane?
... the whole hardware interface is literally mis-designed by morons.
... the patches are COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE.
WHAT THE F*CK IS GOING ON?
http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kern ... 04628.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linus Torvalds: " Is Intel really planning on making this sh*t architectural?"

Post by tovian »

Another article:

Linus Torvalds declares Intel fix for Meltdown/Spectre ‘COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE’

he suggests: “Has anybody talked to them and told them they are f*cking insane?

I'm starting to think there is just the slimmest of possibilities that Mr. Torvalds doesn't think much of Intel's efforts !!
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Linus Torvalds: " Is Intel really planning on making this sh*t architectural?"

Post by Pjotr »

Just Linus being mildly displeased. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Linus should be fair and pour his wrath equally upon Intel and AMD and ARM.
They all have not noticed for many years that their technical designs, meant to speed up processor work, could be misused to get access to data which should not be accessible.
And we endusers have been unaware of the sword of Damocles which has been dangling over our heads for years.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Linus has a potty mouth :mrgreen:
Faust

Post by Faust »

Fair comment I suppose ...
karlchen wrote:Linus should be fair and pour his wrath equally upon Intel and AMD and ARM.
But Intel is the major player on the scene , so they will naturally catch more of the splatter ( and it's the same story for MS ) .
More attention is focused on them , fairly or otherwise , simply for being the biggest player around .... that's just the way of the world .
karlchen wrote:...... could be misused to get access to data which should not be accessible......
That's the key word , right there .... " could ".
But so far it is fiction , and at it's best it is mere speculation .
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Yet another victims of panic. Who next?
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... s-updates/
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, BigEasy.
Who are the victims of panic in this case? Those who have already installed the Bios update on their Dell machines, before Dell told them not to do so?
Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

The important question for me is, if I am ever to trust those "morons" (Torvalds' wording) to design CPUs/machines with my security in mind rather than acting according to the cynical logic of "keeping shareholders happy", getting their fat bonuses at the end of the year. I was just one click away one day before Meltspectre hit the world to buy a brand new 8th generation "Intel Inside" machine. Today I am happy that I didn't. Will I ever trust the future Xth generation of the CPU's to have been designed in a way to guarantee my security? I don't Know. What I do know is that these gentle(wo)men deem my machine to be too cheap or too old for them to even consider to bother themselves about. That's cynical!
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Marziano wrote:Will I ever trust... in a way to guarantee my security?
If you're looking for guarantees in this life somebody's gonna be kicking your butt every day.

Ya does th best ya can wid what ya find - and there ain't NO guarantees !!
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

tovian wrote:
Marziano wrote:Will I ever trust... in a way to guarantee my security?
If you're looking for guarantees in this life somebody's gonna be kicking your butt every day.

Ya does th best ya can wid what ya find - and there ain't NO guarantees !!
:lol: Right! I realized that it was too much to ask or hope for.

Return to “Open Chat”