Stupid phone question

Chat about just about anything else
Rearden
Level 1
Level 1

Stupid phone question

Post by Rearden » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:06 pm

Are there any smartphones that can run a linux like mint? Or is there a linux os that can be loaded on an s5?

Nate
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Stupid phone question

Post by Nate » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:17 am

There are methods of doing so. I used an Android app a year or two ago to experiment with it on a Galaxy S5 or 6, but I didn't really find it a particularly satisfying experience. small screen, not particularly fast, you get the idea. I'm not sure if this was what I used, but it came up with a quick google and has it's own forums for if you wanted to give it a go and needed support. linuxonandroid.com/

If you want a good portable experience though, I'd probably recommend a tablet with an intel processor, I've had no problems replacing the M$ shovelware that comes preinstalled on them with Mint. Alternatively, I know someone who had a fair bit of luck with the GPD Win and it is actually pocket sized.
Last edited by Nate on Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by catweazel » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:24 am

Rearden wrote:Are there any smartphones that can run a linux like mint? Or is there a linux os that can be loaded on an s5?
You will have to find an ARM version of an OS. Mint doesn't have one.
There is no spoon.

jimallyn
Level 17
Level 17

Post by jimallyn » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:55 am

There is an improved Android called LineageOS you can install in Android phones. It might be possible to install a Linux distro that supports ARM processors, but I suspect it would take a bit of work.

https://lineageos.org/

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Portreve
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Portreve » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:08 pm

Purism is in the process of developing their own fork of Debian, called "PureOS", for their forthcoming smartphone.

UBports has been working on making Ubuntu Touch available and accessible to a variety of hardware.

You could start with these options and see where it takes you.
Everything is in hand. With this tapestry... and with patience, there is nothing one cannot achieve.

No hamsters were harmed in the authoring of this post.

Return to “Open chat”