Windows 10---ARGH!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Windows 10---ARGH!

Post by JerryF »

The day before yesterday at work, the Fall Creators Update came through for Windows 10 on my office computer. That installation of the update failed. Yesterday, the installation was successful, and took about 2 hours. :evil:

Today, I have Windows 10 in a virtual machine so that I can use TurboTax. I just started up Windows and what do I get? The "Getting your computer ready. Don't turn off your computer." message. :cry:

Try to get any real work done on Windows without updates or the preparation for updates and you'd be lucky!

Just had to get that of my chest.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trapperjohn

Re: Windows 10---ARGH!

Post by trapperjohn »

Hi,

Try managing 50 of these beasts.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

trapperjohn wrote:Hi,

Try managing 50 of these beasts.
I feel sorry for you! If I had to, I'd end up at Butler Hospital (Providence, RI).
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Ended up doing a windows install for a couple of friends over the weekend - one I was giving an ex Mint machine but they only want Windows, the other I was cleaning up a friend's machine that begun running slow. Didn't do any 'clever' hacks or anything but on rebooting a Windows update failed so I'm lumbered with re-installing and reconfiguring the whole machine. Despise Windows, don't use it on any of my machines.

ARGH!
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

MintBean wrote:Ended up doing a windows install for a couple of friends over the weekend - one I was giving an ex Mint machine but they only want Windows, the other I was cleaning up a friend's machine that begun running slow. Didn't do any 'clever' hacks or anything but on rebooting a Windows update failed so I'm lumbered with re-installing and reconfiguring the whole machine. Despise Windows, don't use it on any of my machines.

ARGH!
While I only messed with Windows 10 a few times now, there is no way I will willingly use it.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hey mintbean...ive done many a win10...BE AWARE...if a piece of hardware such as a cpu, motherboard or what have you are no longer supported by its manufacturer, microsoft will not update/upgrade past a certain point to its newest upgrade etc...so don't frustrate yourself too much there...if its an older machine do some googling to find out if manufacturer support for any given component is or is not under support anymore...if so, your very latest upgrade from microsoft wont take to his machine and the existing one in use will only be good for a total of 18 months from date of release...that is how microsoft is helping its "partners" in the PCs and hardware businesses...they are making sure to feed each other now...DAMIEN
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Yeah Damien, tell me about it mate! :)

It gets better... some guy I vaguely know at the local club this afternoon started bigging me up about how great I am with computers and how my old man tells him how great I am at work programming computers. I'm sitting there thinking.... wait for it.....
"I've got a couple of machines you can have a look at."
"No I don't do computer repair or maintenance"
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

windows 7 still works for me
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

I updated my wife's NEW computer with the latest Windows has to offer and it took for-freakin'-ever. Install -- reboot -- install -- reboot -- ad infinitum. I had to leave the computer on over night and all day and it finally finished. And yes, the "Getting your computer ready" message seemed like it was on the screen forever.

I have a dual boot on that computer with Mint Cinnamon 18.2. When 18.3 was released, I just upgraded to that. Simple and easy. I'm working on having the Windows NTFS partition auto mount so Mint can be used more frequently. The data is on that partition and it's easier just to keep it there. Most of it is photos and LibreOffice Writer documents.

Windows. It should be a question...with a negative answer.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hey mintbean...i never had to work on computers for a living like you, but did become quite good with it over like many years (since 1973 when we used to tinker around with them in our amateur radio rigs...but i can full well understand what you say when someone at the pub just thinks that you would be just tickled to death and ready to jump for joy when they say to you...(not ask you nicely mind you)..."I've got a couple of machines you can have a look at."...do they not think you just might have a life?...the last thing you ever want to do is look at someones pos after you have been working on them for a living all day long 5 or 6 days a week and then have to maintain your own as well...thats like having a neighbor thats a car mechanic and asking him when he just gets home from work trying to relax and asking him if he would just have a look under the bonnet (for free of course...lol)...im sure the response wouldnt be "well of course...it would be my pleasure"...lol...DAMIEN

ps for captkirk... thats one of the MANY reasons in a fit of rage, a yr and 4 months ago that i DBANed my hard drive and then installed linux and never looked back...also never kept anything other than the OS on the drive either...all my music, photos documents etc. were always kept on a USB, never the HD so even when it borks and pukes all over me, i dont loose a thing...DAMIEN
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

trytip wrote:windows 7 still works for me
I liked Windows 7. Unfortunately, it's already in extended support and will end on January 14, 2020.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Absolutely, Damien, besides which I program them I don't repair them... and of course if you did do it for them, who do you think will 'be to blame' if it goes wrong next time? Happy to help close family and friends out but nobody else.
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

I feel sorry for you! If I had to, I'd end up at Butler Hospital (Providence, RI).
Actually, I was nearby in W. Warwick all day yesterday... fixing windows computers that updated!!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi trapper...is it true there is no more rocky point amusement park in west warwick?...i am of course a bostonian and NH and RI new englander transplant here in alamogordo nm so of course all things new england still interest me...also liked tweet balzanos for a good italian meal as well as jacks in warren not far off of metacom ave,great steamers and white clam sauce speggets there...lol...i used to work for Benny's on metacom ave back in the 70s lol...DAMIEN
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

trapperjohn wrote:
Actually, I was nearby in W. Warwick all day yesterday... fixing windows computers that updated!!
Oh man, bummer!!!
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

Hi,

Yup, Park's closed.

I actually live north of the Quabin in central MA and drive 80 miles to W. Warwick. The company, an environmental analytical lab, was in N. Providence for about 60 years and I worked there full time from '87 to '05. They moved operations to W Warwick two years ago and I got roped in as a contract lab millwright for the transition. Haven't gotten free yet. Windows provides me with essentially full time employment!

The Lab uses Agilent Mass Spectrometers and Perkin Elmer ICPs, machines built so well that they last for decades, running every day. The software versions vary from year to year and must run on specific OSs including: Win 95, Win 98, Win2000, Win NT, Win XP, and Windows 7. The office and wet chem lab run Server 2012, Win 10, Win 8, and Win 7. Windows 10 is by far the worst actor. In fact, they get better as you go back in time... with 95/88 and Win NT being rock solid.

I have introduced 3 Linux NAS machines, 2 Linux VMs, and a Raspberry PI.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:hi trapper...is it true there is no more rocky point amusement park in west warwick?...i am of course a bostonian and NH and RI new englander transplant here in alamogordo nm so of course all things new england still interest me...also liked tweet balzanos for a good italian meal as well as jacks in warren not far off of metacom ave,great steamers and white clam sauce speggets there...lol...i used to work for Benny's on metacom ave back in the 70s lol...DAMIEN
Hi Damien1307,

I mentioned Providence because everyone around here knows about Butler Hospital, but I live in Warwick, RI.

Rocky Point Amusement Park in Warwick is no longer there. It closed over 20 years ago and throughout those years, the rides, etc. were removed. It's been renovated as an general park (no amusements) about 3 years ago. During the year, in the summer, they have movie night outside. They also have food trucks every so often. Not sure what or if they have anything in the winter. I hibernate when winter arrives!

These are some pics I took a couple of years ago if you'd like to see:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1hNyr_ ... V7GmookPir

The only thing that remains is the big arch and has been renovated. Currently, they are now thinking of building a new pier. There used to be one, but I'm not sure of the history of that.

http://www.riparks.com/Locations/Locati ... Point.html

Not sure how good your memory is, but on Post Road, in the Ann & Hope property, someone opened the Rocky Point Clam Shack. It has some of the foods that you could get at Rocky Point's pavilion. It's very good, but a little pricey. They have a few of the original items from Rocky Point that decorate the front, such as statues of animals and statues from the haunted house. It brings back memories.

Unfortunately, Tweet Balzano's is permanently closed, but Jack's is still around!

Don't know if you heard, but Benny's permanently closed ALL of their stores. Very strange attitude pervades RI---they're very sentimental about things such as Benny's, but fewer and fewer people were patronizing the store. A large real estate development company, Carpionato Group is buying about 30 of the stores/land. Not sure what they're going to do with them.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi trapper and jerry...thanks for the replies and pics....ahhh, memories...and yes jerry i did find out about "Benny's Home and Auto Stores" last year when they were deciding to close...still have friends there even after all these years ago...still even remember their corporate phone number, never changed even after more than 42 yrs since i had first worked for them...401-231-1000...lol...im sure its probably disconnected now though...they were quite the store back in the day...used to be very popular in Mass., Conn. and RI...i worked for them in multiple stores in Mass and RI. over quite a few yrs...Buzzards Bay rte 6, just down the road from Wareham in Mass just before the Bourne Bridge, Metacom Ave in Bristol RI., Plymouth Mass., and Pawtucket RI...they were different then most stores...they never used banks or outside financing for their expansions or for stock etc, they were totally self sufficient, self financing...they were truly a RI success story ever since they first opened way back in , I think either 1924 or 1928 when Benny Bromberg and his wife and kids opened their first location in either East Providence or Providence RI...cant quite remember which...lol...I will miss them...they had a great work environment and respectful to employees and customers alike...DAMIEN
trapperjohn

Post by trapperjohn »

Does anybody remember Spags?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi trapper...are you talking about "Spags" from Mass. that eventually sold out to "building 19" the home of "good stuff cheap"?....naaaa never heard of it...lol...DAMIEN

Return to “Open Chat”