Has Quality Control Left Town?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pat D

Has Quality Control Left Town?

Post by Pat D »

I love Amazon. And their (its?) A to Z guarantee. So I can return or replace things without being hassled by officious, bureaucratic fools who think they're important.
Just got some new headphones, they don't work. Neither did the last set I ordered, from a different manufacturer. With Amazon, I just go online and tomorrow to the mailbox, and I'm done.
But I'm doing this a lot - and I'd hate to have to keep going back to BestBuy (for example) with crap that doesn't work. But I went through my history - a full 50% of what I've bought in the last 2 years has gone back as defective.

So is this about on-line products? Or is it across the board? I'm getting gun-shy with buying stuff on-line, but the prospect of going to Customer Service somewhere is truly daunting.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sammiev

Re: Has Quality Control Left Town?

Post by sammiev »

Guess I have been lucky over the years. Buy a lot from Amazon and never had to return a item yet. :D
Hope you better luck with your next purchases.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Luck.
You might have something there. If anybody is looking for the "bad luck kid", well, I'm right here.
Good luck for me was the creation and success of Amazon.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Pat D wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:12 am Luck.
You might have something there. If anybody is looking for the "bad luck kid", well, I'm right here.
Good luck for me was the creation and success of Amazon.
You say bad luck kid. That's all of us. Toys of toy manufacturers for toy users. I'm not sure... Is Amazon really the solution to the problem - or part of the problem?
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

A term i've seen a couple of times on Amazon is "Nearly New" what ever that means?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Lucap wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:24 am A term i've seen a couple of times on Amazon is "Nearly New" what ever that means?
The thing the bad luck kid just sent back... :mrgreen:
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

LOL , yeah , i didn't think it through. :)
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

Pat D wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:25 am I love Amazon. And their (its?) A to Z guarantee. So I can return or replace things without being hassled by officious, bureaucratic fools who think they're important... With Amazon, I just go online and tomorrow to the mailbox, and I'm done.
Do too much of that and they're done:
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/ ... it-balance
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

So far,

I have good luck with my Amazon purchases....

but, I research the vendor and the product.... if something don't hit my Gut O Meter right, I look elsewhere.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
VirusZero

Post by VirusZero »

I've bought a few things from Amazon and I've had pretty good luck for the most part. Though they have cancelled orders on me. (I've had others run into the same issue. A friend ordered a Nvidia GTX1070 and Amazon cancelled the order on them.)

Though I've never had to return anything I've bought.

Better than eBay though. (A few times now eBay's global shipping program has lost my items. I bought a new case for my phone and a month later it still hadn't shown up... they couldn't find it so refund.)

For brick and mortar stores I haven't really had to return too much. Mostly things I've returned have been games that needed exchanging. (I love my grandmother, she just doesn't know the difference between Playstation and Xbox. And when you see a game that matches the title exactly... but happens to say Xbox instead of Playstation? I can see where the mistake comes from.)

So, all that said, maybe I've just had really good luck with what I've ordered?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Pat D wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:25 amSo is this about on-line products? Or is it across the board?
Having 50% of the products you sell be DOA doesn't sound like a sustainable business practice. I'm curious to know what kind of brand headphones you've bought? Reputable/established brands or cheap no-name stuff?
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Each set of headphones had good 5-star reviews elsewhere from Amazon, all were over $100...
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I'm in that boat. 1000 DVD players in a room and only one is defective. Guess who gets the defective one :cry:
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

You too can become a statistical anomaly! Ask me how!
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

absque fenestris wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:33 am
Lucap wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:24 am A term i've seen a couple of times on Amazon is "Nearly New" what ever that means?
The thing the bad luck kid just sent back... :mrgreen:
:lol:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

VirusZero wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:12 pm I've bought a few things from Amazon and I've had pretty good luck for the most part. Though they have cancelled orders on me. (I've had others run into the same issue. A friend ordered a Nvidia GTX1070 and Amazon cancelled the order on them.)
When that happens you have to go to your "orders" and then go to the item. Then, look at "transactions". If there was some reason the payment didn't go through, it will cancel in 3 or 4 days. They used to tell you when this happened, sometimes they don't.

Also, if it's out of stock it gets cancelled. USUALLY you get a notification, sometimes not. An organization that big has a lot of cracks you can fall into.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

QC started going down when companies started focusing on cheap labor.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That must have been around 5000 BCE then? Cause companies have always focused on cheap labor.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

xenopeek wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:06 am That must have been around 5000 BCE then? Cause companies have always focused on cheap labor.
True...

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

xenopeek wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:06 am That must have been around 5000 BCE then? Cause companies have always focused on cheap labor.
Hey, I was not talking about slavery. Let me be more precise...companies started outsourcing their manufacturing to countries with cheaper labor cost.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

Return to “Open Chat”