Reading Recommendation

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pat D

Reading Recommendation

Post by Pat D »

Before the Dawn
Recovering the Lost History of Our Ancestors
by Nicholas Wade

An absolutely fascinating look at the development of human societies during the species' expansion out of Africa and across the globe. Where the author's info may be disputed, this is acknowledged. An honest book of great delight.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Reading Recommendation

Post by catweazel »

Does the author acknowledge that the 'out of Africa' theory is now disputed by 'out of Asia' evidence?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

I believe you're talking developments of a more recent nature; they will be chewed over for a long time before there's any consensus.
There may be flaws in this book, actually I know there are, however, that does not take away from the whole here.
A fascinating and thought-provoking book.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pat D wrote:A fascinating and thought-provoking book.
More fascinating and more thought-provoking is the idea that, as apes, we merely got lucky with having brains developed enough to support a conscious mind. If not for that fluke of nature we might all be cockroaches now.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

catweazel wrote:More fascinating and more thought-provoking is the idea that, as apes, we merely got lucky with having brains....
I do not know if it is more fascinating or thought-provoking, but many years a paper was published in The Journal of Irreproducible Results entitled "The Scent of Man." Not the "ascent" or the "descent" - it was more of a lateral move.

It postulated the success of human kind was not based on our intelligence, but on our stupidity. Our ancestors took to walking because they were too stupid to climb back into the trees, invented tools like spears and arrows because they too stupid to take on something their own size, etc.

Sadly, I am unable to locate the article online. If you are not familiar with JIR, here are a couple fascinating, thought-provoking papers it published.
How to Make a Hummingbird Stew Feeder
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/649736/posts

Utilizing Infinite Loops to Compute an Approximate Value of Infinity
http://www-user.slac.stanford.edu/jimstan/Infinity.htm
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

BenTrabetere wrote:It postulated the success of human kind was not based on our intelligence, but on our stupidity. Our ancestors took to walking because they were too stupid to climb back into the trees, invented tools like spears and arrows because they too stupid to take on something their own size, etc.
I can relate to that. I've always said that modern society is firmly built upon human stupidity.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

catweazel wrote:I've always said that modern society is firmly built upon human stupidity.
Well, that's at least something that is not going to be in short supply any day soon...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote:
catweazel wrote:I've always said that modern society is firmly built upon human stupidity.
Well, that's at least something that is not going to be in short supply any day soon...
If stupidity ever reaches $0.000001 cents per tonne, my wife will be very rich. She has drilling rights on my head.
Faust

Post by Faust »

catweazel wrote:I can relate to that. I've always said that modern society is firmly built upon human stupidity.
Not just modern society .....
You reminded me of something that dear old Frank Zappa said ( quoted from memory )

" Scientists say the universe is built from hydrogen , because it is more abundant than anything else ,
but if that reasoning is correct , the universe must surely be built out of stupidity "

I've long thought of making a power station that runs on stupidity ( although my early experiments were frankly disappointing ) .
But how about mindless chatter ? -
That is a definite physical force and there's loads of it , wherever people congregate , and the airwaves are absolutely PACKED with it !
I feel a Nobel Prize coming on .....

What was the thread topic again ?
My mind wanders if it's not kept on a short leash .
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Hmm...

Guns of the South, an alternative-history fiction novel by Harry Turtledove.

Nine Princes in Amber by Roger Zelazny

Battlestar Galactica: Armageddon a reboot attempt by Richard Hatch
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Roger Zelazny.
My All-Time favourite writer, across all genres.
"Lord of Light" is superb.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” - Albert Einstein
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Open Chat”