Anyone else tired of reddit?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
ylevental

Anyone else tired of reddit?

Post by ylevental »

In the past few years, many forums, websites, and blogs have been shutting down because major websites like reddit have been taking over the internet. Most of the content on reddit is boring, and people are extremely hostile to each other in virtually every comment section :( .

I do like this forum though, and the subreddit for Linux Mint, http://reddit.com/r/linuxmint, stands above mainstream reddit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Anyone else tired of reddit?

Post by Flemur »

I hate reddit almost as much as pinterest.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
ylevental

Post by ylevental »

Flemur wrote:I hate reddit almost as much as pinterest.
At least Pinterest doesn't have endless flamewars.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Never heard of it LOL
Penn

Post by Penn »

Reddit was around for quite a while before I even heard about it. Briefly checked it out and decided it definitely wasn't for me. My thoughts on it would have ended there but something changed to turn me towards stronger negative thoughts, that being its penetration into the world that is uninterested.

Somehow, the low brow and unverified posts on that place made it to a point it some of those posts have even shaped news reporting.

A TV show I was watching recently mentioned a fight between 2 people I've never heard of as if this is something people should just know about. You guessed it, a Reddit flame war.

I could list many more reasons to despise it but I'll skip to the most recent. It has even made its way into the topic of a thread on my favorite website, forums.linuxmint.com . Similar to repulsive things like the Kardashians, in a decent world I would have never even heard of these things that cater to double digit IQs.
Nate

Post by Nate »

I've limited my exposure to when searching for information and having a link to what appears to be an answer pop up in search engine results. Never joined it as the first time I stumbled upon it, the page was predominately a bunch of people ganging up on someone over something inconsequential with no sign of moderation. Just seemed a little too hostile for my liking.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It never appealed to me.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

There are some controversial subreddits for sure, but there are also a lot of gems on reddit such as MapP*rn (there are a lot of other map-subs actually) or Data is Beautiful, and a lot of Linux and Technology related ones, too. Or how about Ask Science or SpaceP*rn (Pictures from Space). Most of the science subreddits have AMA (Ask Me Anything) threads, very interesting.

New users and non-registered users visiting reddit usually see only the very general, random boards, I think - this might result in conclusions like "reddits is boring", which IMHO is not the case :)
ylevental

Post by ylevental »

Schallaven wrote:There are some controversial subreddits for sure, but there are also a lot of gems on reddit such as MapP*rn (there are a lot of other map-subs actually) or Data is Beautiful, and a lot of Linux and Technology related ones, too. Or how about Ask Science or SpaceP*rn (Pictures from Space). Most of the science subreddits have AMA (Ask Me Anything) threads, very interesting.

New users and non-registered users visiting reddit usually see only the very general, random boards, I think - this might result in conclusions like "reddits is boring", which IMHO is not the case :)
I know that, but my mind has a hard time mentally filtering content, so I get overwhelmed by everything else. All good suggestions however.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I've known about Reddit for a while, and a former co-worker of mine used to regale me all the time with interesting areas on it he's visited and/or participated, and I did check it out, but at this point it's just too multi-layered and dense for me to spend the time trying to figure out how to navigate around and where potentially interesting stuff (to me) is located.

I have a few news apps on my phone already, and anything beyond that is pretty much overkill.

As a side note, I quite like FanFiction.net, and my current favorite read is TRON: Unity by SiriuslyEmily.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Sometimes there are really interesting AMA's like the ones with Scot Kelly and Stephen Hawking, and that's it.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

what's a reddit?
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

If you're tired of Reddit, surely the answer is to stop reading it?
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Never got into any of the social media garbage. Cesspools of the internet. People are shocked when they find out I dont have Facebook. They ask me why, and I reply " I have better things to do with my life." I wished I lived in a big city. The only reason to walk down the main drags, and intentionally bump into cellphone zombies.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

There is not just one Reddit. There is the front page which places sub-reddits you subscribe to in your feed. Some sub-reddits are decent, even useful. A few I like: r/thinkpad, r/television, r/cordcutters, r/linux. Some are support sub-reddits not much different than regular forums like this one. Others are the 'wild west'. If you want to avoid nasty fights stay clear of pretty much all the politics sub-reddits.
mwbworld

Post by mwbworld »

KBD47 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:28 pm There is not just one Reddit. There is the front page which places sub-reddits you subscribe to in your feed. Some sub-reddits are decent, even useful. A few I like: r/thinkpad, r/television, r/cordcutters, r/linux. Some are support sub-reddits not much different than regular forums like this one. Others are the 'wild west'. If you want to avoid nasty fights stay clear of pretty much all the politics sub-reddits.
Exactly. It's huge and parallels the net as a whole. Just because there place onlines that I'd never go and hate - I wouldn't go "oh I tried the internet and people were mean and awful" so I don't use it. You just go to the places that are ones you like.

I'm very fond of reddit myself, but I go to the subreddits I like and don't go to the ones I don't.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

mwbworld wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:24 pm Exactly. It's huge and parallels the net as a whole. Just because there place onlines that I'd never go and hate - I wouldn't go "oh I tried the internet and people were mean and awful" so I don't use it. You just go to the places that are ones you like.

I'm very fond of reddit myself, but I go to the subreddits I like and don't go to the ones I don't.
I use it quite a bit. You sometimes have to overlook idiots or trolls but you find that everywhere on the Internet.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

How about that Twitter :wink:

Return to “Open Chat”