mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

2018 maintenance strategy

Post by mike acker » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:15 am

I think for 2018 I'm going to focus on getting my 3 main machines up on LMDE/3

1. Office -- needs 650W PS and 4th 2T disc -- to receive the new LMDE
2. Guest -- needs new 1T disc to receive the LMDE/3 -- already has 650W PS
3. Research -- Needs new 1T disc to receive new LMDE/3 -- has 750W PS. The RESEARCH1 system in this machine is now status(IMPORTANT) as it holds the Oracle/VirtualBox install. The last update to the VB wouldn't install -- so -- RESEARCH1 will just run "as is" until I get the new OS built. Hopefully the Win 8.1 guest machine doesn't give me too much static when it gets moved.

---

RYZEN-2

all 3 boxes will be updated to RYZEN-2 -- when that becomes available. This will require new Motherboards and all will go to DDRM4 memory. This will be a considerable effort and will probably not start until 2019. I'm using only AMD chips right now and I think the corrective service that has been put out for existing software will be effective in my environment.
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Re: 2018 maintenance strategy

Post by Pjotr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:20 am

If you're going to invest in new CPU's: I expect that CPU's with firmware that has been fixed for Meltdown/Spectre, won't become available on the consumer market before the summer of 2019 (or thereabouts)....

I myyself was also planning to buy some new machines, but because of the Meltdown/Spectre disaster I've postponed that for at least 18 months. :(
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

mike acker
Level 6
Level 6

Re: 2018 maintenance strategy

Post by mike acker » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:20 am
If you're going to invest in new CPU's: I expect that CPU's with firmware that has been fixed for Meltdown/Spectre, won't become available on the consumer market before the summer of 2019 (or thereabouts)....

I myyself was also planning to buy some new machines, but because of the Meltdown/Spectre disaster I've postponed that for at least 18 months. :(
yep! my thinking exactly
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Open chat”