2018 maintenance strategy

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

2018 maintenance strategy

Post by mike acker »

I think for 2018 I'm going to focus on getting my 3 main machines up on LMDE/3

1. Office -- needs 650W PS and 4th 2T disc -- to receive the new LMDE
2. Guest -- needs new 1T disc to receive the LMDE/3 -- already has 650W PS
3. Research -- Needs new 1T disc to receive new LMDE/3 -- has 750W PS. The RESEARCH1 system in this machine is now status(IMPORTANT) as it holds the Oracle/VirtualBox install. The last update to the VB wouldn't install -- so -- RESEARCH1 will just run "as is" until I get the new OS built. Hopefully the Win 8.1 guest machine doesn't give me too much static when it gets moved.

---

RYZEN-2

all 3 boxes will be updated to RYZEN-2 -- when that becomes available. This will require new Motherboards and all will go to DDRM4 memory. This will be a considerable effort and will probably not start until 2019. I'm using only AMD chips right now and I think the corrective service that has been put out for existing software will be effective in my environment.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: 2018 maintenance strategy

Post by Pjotr »

If you're going to invest in new CPU's: I expect that CPU's with firmware that has been fixed for Meltdown/Spectre, won't become available on the consumer market before the summer of 2019 (or thereabouts)....

I myyself was also planning to buy some new machines, but because of the Meltdown/Spectre disaster I've postponed that for at least 18 months. :(
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Re: 2018 maintenance strategy

Post by mike acker »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:20 am If you're going to invest in new CPU's: I expect that CPU's with firmware that has been fixed for Meltdown/Spectre, won't become available on the consumer market before the summer of 2019 (or thereabouts)....

I myyself was also planning to buy some new machines, but because of the Meltdown/Spectre disaster I've postponed that for at least 18 months. :(
yep! my thinking exactly
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Open Chat”