Slow internet feb 08 2018. VERY SLOW!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Slow internet feb 08 2018. VERY SLOW!

Post by rickNS »

All day today internet very slow, normal pages take a minute to load, some longer, and many not loading at all ending in just about:newtab, and a blank screen.
I'm in Canada, and just wondering how widespread this might be. Anyone experience similar.
Even this page took a minute or more.
BTW not asking for Linux help, I'm quite sure this is not software specific.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Slow internet feb 08 2018. VERY SLOW!

Post by Moem »

All is working as normal here in the Netherlands. It might be your ISP.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Actually what ever it was seems to be cleared up now. I just tried, a youtube, and ebay, and a couple pages here, and all seems normal again. Weird.
It amazes me that all this stuff works at all in the first place.

EDIT, Spoke too soon, tried going here,
https://www.google.ca/search?dcr=0&q=sp ... cQ1QIIdSgE

1, A speed test thing, got a blank page again...?
2, clicked EDIT this post, after a minute (aprox) nothing happened, clicked EDIT again took quite awhile.....

Feeling like back in "dial-up days", only worse, sure it will get sorted out, sooner preferable to later.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Edit above.
Submitting that edit took well over a minute. That is NOT the norm.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Power down modem and router. Wait 2 mins power back up. This will get a new IP. Option 2 is dns flush, not sure how to do this in linux.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Citizen229 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:47 pm Power down modem and router. Wait 2 mins power back up. This will get a new IP. Option 2 is dns flush, not sure how to do this in linux.
Thanks, tried turning off router, router only, not modem. Didn't help took 3 attempts to get a google page.
In the lower left corner I see;
resolving host
preforming handshake.......
waiting for "website"......
establishing secure connection. Sometimes it doesn't and times out (I think)
waiting for googleads........
preforming handshake......
waiting for googleads......
etc.

Will try rebooting modem.

EDIT, reboot modem FIXED for about 5 clicks then back to SLOW. Reboot again, slow then seems OK for now. If it keeps acting up there will be a new modem on Monday.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

UPDATE, is definitely a modem problem. I rebooted it again, 4th or 5th time today, and is working great (at the moment), But suspect that won't last long.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Have you rebooted the computer since this started happening? It probably wont help but certainly couldn't hurt.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

rickNS wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:34 pm All day today internet very slow, normal pages take a minute to load, some longer, and many not loading at all ending in just about:newtab, and a blank screen.
I'm in Canada, and just wondering how widespread this might be. Anyone experience similar.
Even this page took a minute or more.
BTW not asking for Linux help, I'm quite sure this is not software specific.
at this 20 we use Charter

every once in a while the net gets very slow: < .5 mb/sec ( it's advertised at 60 mb/sec )

to fix it i have to unplug the cable modem for 120 sec and re-connect it. last week i had to do this procedure twice.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

It may be your modem, and obviously swapping it out will most likely prove that. However, another possibility is you could have an environmentally-compromised coax cable coming into your home.

Water intrusion can occur if there's any sort of damage to the outer jacket. If replacing the modem doesn't resolve your situation, see if your ISP can come out to do a line integrity check of some sort.

Another thought is it's possible other components upstream of your modem could be having problems. For example, in most installations, there is a digital-rated splitter that takes the inbound connection and branches off one isolated connection to service the jack your cable modem is connected to, and then other connectors are for actual TVs in your home. If it were to have become damaged somehow (water intrusion, electrical surge, etc.) that could cause any of a number of odd symptoms.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Portreve wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:09 pm It may be your modem, and obviously swapping it out will most likely prove that. However, SNIP
Thanks Portreve, Your a very insightful dude, I read a few of your latest posts, and if there was a like button....

Anyway been working good since Saturday. The cable guy was here today, and said it could have been a number of things, some of which you mention. One thing he said "someone" may have been uploading.... I know who that someone is , and don't know how they got on my wifi in the first place, but I did copy/save their MAC address "FILTERS" have been applied. I'm sure that they will have much difficulty getting connected to free internet here in the future.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

rickNS wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:05 pmThanks Portreve, Your a very insightful dude, I read a few of your latest posts, and if there was a like button....
Thanks for the compliment! We try to be helpful and even every once in a while take educated stabs at a problem.

I live in SW Florida, and like a lot of other established areas, we have a lot of these same kinds of problems.

My setup has a battery backup on the planter shelf along with my cable modem. That way, if there is a power outage, I don't necessarily lose my internet connection. Also, it helps to prolong the life of the unit because it filters the voltage and ensures connected devices see 110 volts, no more and no less.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”