And they all wonder why we insist on ad and tracking blockers

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

And they all wonder why we insist on ad and tracking blockers

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Well the title of this thread says it all...hey folks...how about another nice game of "whack - a - mole...this is the reason why i use ublock origin, ublock origin extra, and privacy badger...and yes, ALL prtections are enabled in my ublock...and when searching the web, i always click on privacy badger and disable everything but the only essentials to read what im interested in...heres today's whack - a - mole game...DAMIEN

http://www.alphr.com/security/1007743/h ... t-of-every
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: And they all wonder why we insist on ad and tracking blockers

Post by Flemur »

The firefox addon "lightbeam" does a great job showing bogus connections.

Edit: Without any blocking, that "alphr" site connects to at least 113 third-party sites.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

If anybody is wondering what the link is about it's in regards to session replay' scripts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_replay

How to protect yourself from Session Replay tracking.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/11/24/how-t ... -tracking/
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Javascript off - usually...
Javascript on? Maybe - maybe not... uBlock Origin & EFF-stuff > of course! And never ever turned off.
Last edited by absque fenestris on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penn

Post by Penn »

What annoys me about this most is a matter of permission. Just visiting a website does not mean I am giving permission for this behavior. I'm not a lawyer and don't fully know the law in regards to internet privacy but this seems like something that should be illegal.

Another one that is just as much of an invasion is getting the user to agree without them knowing they are agreeing. Android apps are big on that. I haven't checked if it is true but the Facebook app apparently does something people don't realize they are giving it permission. When you install an app the OS tells you what you are giving that app access to. In the case of that one, it gets permission to use your mic. The part I haven't verified, apparently someone tested a theory and posted the results to youtube. This couple doesn't have a cat but in the presence of the phone they kept mentioning cat food in spoken conversations for a full day but not posting anything on Facebook about cats. Two days later, advertisements they had never seen for cat food appeared in their feed. Did they really agree to this when installing the app or were they deceived.

Back on topic, I frequently recommend ad-blockers to people I know. I notice if I approach the issue from the perspective of privacy most people aren't interested. When I demonstrate improved performance on some websites it suddenly becomes something they must have. When a large portion of the population takes the attitude "I don't have anything to hide" it opens the door to this crap. It isn't a matter of having anything to hide, it is a matter of preserving privacy.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Ads are so bad these days. I install uBlock Origin first thing in every browser I use.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just installed uBlock and it does work better than the other blockers I have tried.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Which one of these tracker blockers is to be preferred, Ghostery or Privacy Badger?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i go with privacy badger everytime...ive used ghostery in the past but the badger gives more real time control to just block cookies and tracking etc...i only leave enabled what is necessary to read what im reading...no more no less...DAMIEN
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Marziano wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:38 am Which one of these tracker blockers is to be preferred, Ghostery or Privacy Badger?
I like the badger icon :mrgreen:
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Sure, I have tried out both of of them at some point. Now I have Ghostery installed. I will install Privacy Badger now and give it another shot. I will then be having uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, ScriptSafe and Privacy Badger. Isn't that a bit of an overkill?
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

absque fenestris wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:46 am I like the badger icon :mrgreen:
Lol, Ghostery's is kinda cute as well :)
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

yea...it is overkill...what happens when you have that many is the far upper left hamburger marks change colour alerting me that another extension got to it first...i find that just ublock and badger are more than enough...it just works great and all my surfing clicks are literally in a blink of an eye...DAMIEN
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:53 am yea...it is overkill...what happens when you have that many is the far upper left hamburger marks change colour alerting me that another extension got to it first...i find that just ublock and badger are more than enough...it just works great and all my surfing clicks are literally in a blink of an eye...DAMIEN
Yea, I imagined that. I will disable a couple of them and see how it goes. Thanks for the replies!
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

EFF, The Electronic Frontier Foundation seems trustworthy, see here: https://www.eff.org/.
HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger both come from EFF.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

absque fenestris wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:09 am EFF, The Electronic Frontier Foundation seems trustworthy, see here: https://www.eff.org/.
I believe so too.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I added in uBlocker and what a difference that made to my reading of newspaper articles.

now now, I have just added in the Privacy Badger, so life is now much better for me.

Thanks for bringing both of these up.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Flemur wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:47 amEdit: Without any blocking, that "alphr" site connects to at least 113 third-party sites.
Even with blocking your message alone connects to 1 third-party site: https://s20.postimg.org :)
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

BigEasy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:14 pm
Flemur wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:47 amEdit: Without any blocking, that "alphr" site connects to at least 113 third-party sites.
Even with blocking your message alone connects to 1 third-party site: https://s20.postimg.org :)
You can block that one third party site too by placing it in Mint's Domain Blocker. In Mint 18.2 version and other versions below that, DB is installed by default. However, in Mint 18.3 DB is not installed by default. I installed it through Synaptic Package Manager where it is under the name, mintnanny.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

that https://s20.postimg.org is just one of many that is used by users of this forum to place their avatars on this site...blocking these blocks the avatars...you can if you wish do this simply by using privacy badger which will show each of these when you open it while in the forum and can turn it on or off with ease...as a for instance...flemurs avatar is powered by this site...DAMIEN

Return to “Open Chat”