Computer housing. Some thoughts about heat dissipation and design.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Computer housing. Some thoughts about heat dissipation and design.

Post by catweazel »

absque fenestris wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:34 am So Shellac era... Best regards from the Vinyl age
lol - we used to buy shellac in crystal form. It looked like a brown mica. When ah were a lad... it were no good for dissipating heat.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

all41 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:49 pm Heat from electronics is not such a detriment in winter, as it is in summer,
based on where you live.
Here on the gulf coast of Mississippi USA, in the summer, my indoor ambient temperature stays at exactly 70 degrees F because of the need for air conditioning. My computer really likes this! In the winter it sometimes creeps above 75 degrees F while running heat.

In between those two seasons when no air conditioning or heat is used, heat can build up around the computer and cause problems. Then the blower is turned on without AC or heat to solve that problem.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

catweazel wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:22 am
absque fenestris wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:15 am Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday Dear catweazel
Happy Birthday to You.

From good friends and true,
From old friends and new,
May good luck go with you,
And happiness too :lol:
Thank you. I was born this day in 1923.
Happy Birthday Catweazel! 1923 huh?... let me pull up my calculator... Gosh! I have seen dirt that wasn't that old! :-)
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Jim Hauser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 am Here on the gulf coast of Mississippi USA, in the summer, my indoor ambient temperature stays at exactly 70 degrees F because of the need for air conditioning. My computer really likes this! In the winter it sometimes creeps above 75 degrees F while running heat.

In between those two seasons when no air conditioning or heat is used, heat can build up around the computer and cause problems. Then the blower is turned on without AC or heat to solve that problem.
For the lazy Europeans:

70°F = 21,1111°C - Temperature at Jim Hauser the one season
75°F = 23.8889°C - Temperature at Jim Hauser the other season

98°F = 36.6667°C - Hand warm - User is healthy
101°F = 38.3333°C - Hand warm - User is easily caught cold or upset
108°F = 42.2222°C - Pretty warm - User has or had a heavy fever
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Catweazel's first computer ran very hot as it used Valves and punch tape. :wink:

Happy Birthday Buddy , have a good one. :)
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

Lucap wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:21 am Catweazel's first computer ran very hot as it used Valves and punch tape. :wink:

My first computer used rubber bands and counted to 7... If it got too hot, the rubber bands melted.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

absque fenestris wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:16 am
Jim Hauser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:11 am Here on the gulf coast of Mississippi USA, in the summer, my indoor ambient temperature stays at exactly 70 degrees F because of the need for air conditioning. My computer really likes this! In the winter it sometimes creeps above 75 degrees F while running heat.

For the lazy Europeans:

70°F = 21,1111°C - Temperature at Jim Hauser the one season
75°F = 23.8889°C - Temperature at Jim Hauser the other season

98°F = 36.6667°C - Hand warm - User is healthy
101°F = 38.3333°C - Hand warm - User is easily caught cold or upset
108°F = 42.2222°C - Pretty warm - User has or had a heavy fever
I forgot to mention something... that is the temperature inside the house. In the summer we regularly get up in the 90s or 100s F with a relative humidity well above 90% outside. In the winter the outside temperature rarely drops below freezing. I have only seen snow three times in the last 40 years. This year it did snow because I saw a few flakes on my dog's back when she came in.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Jim Hauser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:18 am Happy Birthday Catweazel! 1923 huh?... let me pull up my calculator... Gosh! I have seen dirt that wasn't that old! :-)
Thank you! My mother is 103. Her ambition in life is to see me croak it before her :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Lucap wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:21 am Catweazel's first computer ran very hot as it used Valves and punch tape. :wink:

Thank you! My first real computer had a massive vat of mercury for memory. No joke.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

catweazel wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:04 am
Jim Hauser wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:18 am Happy Birthday Catweazel! 1923 huh?... let me pull up my calculator... Gosh! I have seen dirt that wasn't that old! :-)
Thank you! My mother is 103. Her ambition in life is to see me croak it before her :)
31045.587 85 = Life days of a 85 year old
34698.009 95 = Life days of a 95 year old
365.2422 = Average year

1.117647059 = The magic catweazel number (MCN)

408.211870653 = The magic catweazel year (MCY)

Has anyone cheated there? ... or the average year at the Gentoos has 408.212 days :lol: :lol: :lol:
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Gentoo ˈdʒɛntu: could be misinterpreted in this forum. To avoid misunderstanding, I'm talking about Pygoscelis papua.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Once again something to the actual topic. In my search for unusual cooling I've found this method:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ölkühlung (with picture)
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refroidissement_à_huile (with picture)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_cooling (without picture)

Very promising.
Thus, finally! the lovers of french fries are addressed or, in other words: Bienvenue! tous les amis des frites et des ordinateurs chauds.

Use fine cold-pressed olive oil of the class "extra vergine" for gentle cooking, means for very delicate vegetables (processors i5 - i7 and equivalent in AMD)

Far higher heatable peanut oil is suitable for the Rambo-class; 16 cores, overclocked etc. pp - vegetables and fish.

Yes! and for pommes frites we need a cluster... :mrgreen:

Return to “Open Chat”