Computer housing. Some thoughts about heat dissipation and design.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Computer housing. Some thoughts about heat dissipation and design.

Post by absque fenestris »

I'm surprised that there is no computer case that combines the waste heat from processor and graphics card with a beverage warmer.
For tea, for example, this would be very convenient: put on cold water, wait until it boils, drink tea and put fresh cold water on it. Powerful computers even support an Italian espresso machine.

Impossible? 2025 - that means in 7 years - we are on Mars, as experts assure me in various forums. A combined computer housing with stove plate should not be a big challenge for gifted technicians.

Imagine - as a design suggestion - a Mac mini with a cast iron plate on top. On the plate something nice by Alessi.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sir Charles

Re: Computer housing. Some thoughts about heat dissipation and design.

Post by Sir Charles »

An attached Jacuzzi would be nice :D
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Bitcoin miner?
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

i would have a very long wait for my tea then since as of right now as im typing this, my quad core temps are at 7 degrees centigrade and my HDD is at 30 degrees centigrade...the quad core seldom goes above 14 degrees and the highest ive ever seen my HDD has been 33 degrees...DAMIEN
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:38 am i would have a very long wait for my tea then since as of right now as im typing this, my quad core temps are at 7 degrees centigrade and my HDD is at 30 degrees centigrade...the quad core seldom goes above 14 degrees and the highest ive ever seen my HDD has been 33 degrees...DAMIEN
Dear DAMIEN, you are simply outdated.
As I've learned especially in German forums, a real user needs at least 32 GB of RAM, the strongest from nVidia, of course in 4K and on 2 screens, i7 or Ryzen at its best and a 750 watt power supply. This inventory in a case of say 19 x 19 x 5 cm, respectively 7.5 x 7.5 x 2 in, becomes hot. It's for the hard-boiled.
Sooner or later, a clever Chinese will pack this into the proposed case. For sure.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

yea, im outdated...i built this in Jan. 2013 with 16 gigs corsair vengence ram, 500 gig Hitatchi spinner HDD, AMD quad core apu ATI Radeon,...1080 screen...600 watt power supply, LG Optical drive, and 4 cooling fans, stuffed into a cooler master g-lite tower...those germans get all the toys dont they...lol...DAMIEN
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Very nice - you are not outdated.
The housing dimensions please. And just as suggested - instead of fans and pushing around warm air - a stove.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

dont know exact dimensions but is a full size desktop tower behemouth...DAMIEN

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Mi ... B003O8J11E
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:48 am dont know exact dimensions but is a full size desktop tower behemouth...DAMIEN
I looked at it and found it too big. That can't be hot enough, so no fine tea.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Will never happen. The very basics of cooling is removing the heat. Any attempt to collect said heat for local use, keeps the heat inside the machine. A mining/folding rig can remove the heat outside the case and raise the room temp a few degrees, depending on room size. Any heat sink maintained by the system will lower the efficiency of the system.

The closest you can get is the dvd drive hot plate. It slides out like a drive and heat up using the PSU. It is not using waste heat but creating more heat. That will let you keep you tea warm while surfing the web. Or drink like you mean it.
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

My system has 8 cores, 4 HDDs, and a GPU pushing two monitors. It never pulls much more than 300 watts even fully loaded. The CPU is water cooled with a radiator mounted and venting from the top of the case. The radiator fans along with a third fan also pull the heat from the GPU and hard drives out of the unit. It is not enough heat to warm up a cup of coffee but it might keep a bun warm. If that heat was concentrated you could probably run a couple Easy Bake Ovens.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Without brilliant Chinese workmanship... - New idea: a humidifier - which are sometimes heated slightly so that the air escapes...
:mrgreen:
Last edited by absque fenestris on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Citizen229 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:34 pmThe closest you can get is the dvd drive hot plate. It slides out like a drive and heat up using the PSU. It is not using waste heat but creating more heat. That will let you keep you tea warm while surfing the web. Or drink like you mean it.
I will keep an eye on Amazon... ... :mrgreen: By the way, what do you think about landing on Mars?

:?: :?: :?:

Your suggestion: if the DVD carrier would be constantly extended - why not build a cooling coil from the case under the carrier?

:?:

To the worthy audience (is also about dissipating heat) :

I'm looking for 1 inch fans for an old Class A music amplifier - 2 pieces and as quiet as technically possible...
Proposals?
Jim Hauser

Post by Jim Hauser »

One thing to keep in mind. The rating of your power supply dictates the maximum amount of heat produced.A 300 watt power supply will never produce more than 300 watts of heat. A 500 watt power supply will never produce more than 500 watts of heat. And ditto on up the line. A good hair dryer has around 1800 (or better) watts although some cheaper ones can be much lower.

Heat can be concentrated. Heat can be dissipated. Heat can be moved with a refrigerator, air conditioner or heat pump. A dehumidifier is only an air conditioner that does not move heat outside of a designated area.

My 500 watt power supply only uses 300 watts when the system is maxed out with 100% usage of eight cores. This is according to my UPS readout. This is about 1/6 of a good hair dryer.

I like the idea of reusing waste heat but you have to be realistic. There is no magic formula beyond a microwave oven (yet.)
Last edited by Jim Hauser on Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

The next US mission is 2020. I will be another rover launch. This one will be more focused on on drilling and seismic activity.Man has always been 20 years away from Mars. We will not get there until there is another space race.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

That sounds quite reasonable ...
Space races - that's fine, at least much much better than playing around with big red buttons :mrgreen:
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Caution please! Heavy current!

Minors, the disabled, fathers and mothers of underage children do not read on.
Oops - this is like the guarantee statement on my last digital chinese toy ...

I love to watch the bits and bytes while working. That means the case is open, I admire the careful construction and in between I check the heat of the processors.

To be quite precise: my ancient IBM server with 2 Xeons never gets hot. Just hand-warm. 12 fans are at work. A reasonable heat dissipation is not recognizable.

Your opinion: can I turn off all the fans?
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Compulab Airtop2 Inferno fanless gaming PC detailed

http://hexus.net/tech/news/systems/1153 ... -detailed/
Unlocked Intel Core-i7 7700K
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
Up to 64GB DDR4 2400 RAM
2x NVMe + 4x 2.5-inch SSD / HDD
2x USB 3.1 + 7x USB 3.0 | dual LAN | front (and back) audi
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

There he is - the postulated Mac mini with cast iron hotplates. OK standing, cast plates left and right.
How hot?
:?:
@ Lucap
What now - I thought that was yours ...
But I see - not in China will my future coffee maker be developed
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

It's a kickstarter project for the new gaming Airtop , Clem the owner of Mint had one of the original ones.

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2017/03/m ... p-preview/

Return to “Open Chat”