Not exactly Mint related: tutorial on the use of DD-WRT needed

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Not exactly Mint related: tutorial on the use of DD-WRT needed

Post by JoeFootball »

majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Not exactly Mint related but...

Post by majpooper »

I put DD-WRT on a very old router when I build my "Y" router configuration (two routers behind a third router that faces the outside) - jabbing an ice pick in my ear would have been less painful. The blogs, forums and tutorials are anywhere from useless at worst to giving you a few clues at best. It took me a few weeks off and on of trying and testing (and much gnashing of teeth and pulling my hair out) to finally get it installed and running. I went through so many iterations and tried so many things there is no way I could possibly remember how I did it let alone tell someone else what to do - after God knows how many attempts there it was installed and it just worked.

Good stuff once you have it up and running though - but I am not putting it on the other routers as I originally planned - no way in . . . . . well you get the picture.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

JoeFootball wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:40 pm DD-WRT Wiki Tutorials

Joe
yeah - good luck with that. I guess a lot has to do with what router you have. Pretty much the first place everyone goes to for dd-wrt. Problem is trying to get the correct files (what is on that site is not always up to date - the files they listed for my router were incorrect in that they had changed) and getting the install procedure right doing so can be very confusing. There are some helpful YouTube videos although not for my specific router but they gave me the basic idea. The hard part for me was tracking down the right files then getting the install process right. You are warned that it is very easy to brick your router if you get "it" wrong. Well I sure got it wrong a bunch but for whatever reason I didn't brick my router - I was almost hoping I would so I could be done with the whole mess but I finally got dd-wrt loaded.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I don't think it's possible to explain such a thing in any detail and make it novice compliant. Learning curve ahead. What does this do that justifies such a learning curve?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Charlie,
Charlie wrote:I am particularly, at present, interested in getting the "Bittorrent" client to work, but am interested in all of it.
There are various Torrent clients that work very well in Linux and Linux Mint and they do not require installing or using the hardware router software "dd-wrt". AFAIK, all Linux Mint systems come with a torrent client installed, but you can install others like the excellent Tixati, qBitTorrent, Deluge, etc...

Using a reliable VPN provider from the desktop or the router is a very good idea regardless whether you use torrents or not. If you are using a torrent client, then enable the encryption options and select the network adapter of "tun0" (tunnel 0) when using a VPN.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Charlie,

You are welcome...

I was not aware that you could actually have the hardware router perform tasks like downloading torrents.

dd-wrt and torrent downloading - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... 8&oe=UTF-8

How to set up and use Asus RT-AC66U router Download Manager to download and manage Bit Torrent files - Storage
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-20 ... files.html

Guide: Using A Router To Download Torrents Automatically | TechTree.com
http://www.techtree.com/content/feature ... cally.html

Best routers for torrenting. Download movies using standalone router itself.
http://www.zelect.in/router/best-router-for-torrenting

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I've set DD-WRT up on several routers, and I'll vouch for what's been said above: the particulars can and do vary widely. Once it's on and running, normal operations are a breeze, and some routers make the flashing procedure easier than others.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Charlie,

You are welcome again...

There are different versions of router software (firmware) for different router hardware, some newer ones cannot even be "flashed" properly because of new restrictions. "dd-wrt" is one of a few different good "open source" router software that is available, "tomato" is another, etc... Be careful because you can "brick" your router which means it will become unusable. You can also buy routers that are pre-configured with various "open source" firmware software.

router buying advice please - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=222104&hilit=router+tomato

New Router Recommendation with Physical VPN? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=258703&hilit=router+tomato

Hope this helps ...
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I will have to agree that the DD-WRT documentation is abysmal. I managed to get it installed on a router, but haven't got all the functions working the way I want them yet.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Open Chat”