Transmission on DD-WRT router.

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Transmission on DD-WRT router.

Post by Pjotr »

If your router is being supported: also try Tomato. Tomato is, in my experience, more reliable and stable than DD-WRT. :)
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ect/tomato
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Charlie wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:46 am ....... I remember when Linksys were a decent company.
You have my sympathy !
There's so much dismal junk on the router market these days .
Once respected brands that now churn out garbage ....

It's becoming a " cart before the horse " situation , and the user essentially has to choose which system to run
and then select a router that supports it .

I agree with Pjotr that Tomato involves less head-banging and grief than wrt .
I joined the dd-wrt forum and I was less than impressed !
Faust

Post by Faust »

One could always go for the " roll your own " option .

Raspberry Pi is usually a good starting point but in this case , Banana Pi offers some nice extras right out of the box
.... Dual NICs and a SATA socket .

In my notes there's a link to a good thread on this a few years back , over at Wilders
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads ... st-2635734

But no guarantees that there won't be gnashing-of-teeth , rending-of-clothes etc .... somewhere along the way - :mrgreen:
Just a thought ....
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

"Back in the day" I used to put the DD-WRT firmware on any router I bought. I also bought routers on the basis of being able to flash them to DD-WRT.

Just for laughs, I recently tried putting a compatible version of OpenWRT on a router that's no longer in service. Flashing it was easy enough, but the performance of the router's web interface just went in the toilet. Also, the user interface was absolutely gosh-awful. You shouldn't have to be a network administrator with years of experience just to figure out what the heck you're looking at. DD-WRT has always done a better job of presenting settings, and access to those settings.

I don't own any hardware that I can use tomato on, and so I've never looked at it. I've heard about it, but never used it.

Also, the only time I ever Torrent anything is if I'm downloading a GNU+Linux ISO and they've requested that you do it that way to help out with bandwidth. ISPs now track torrent activities, web site access, etc., and I have no desire to ever be served a cease-and-desist letter from mine, nor from any other legal source.

Besides, as I've said elsewhere, I don't run non-free software on my computer, so the only thing that would potentially leave is movies and music, neither of which would I try to download because, of course, of that very same usage tracking by ISPs.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”