Suggestions for cloud storage?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Suggestions for cloud storage?

Post by jimallyn »

I have been thinking lately it might be convenient to have some cloud storage, mostly for backing up computers to before installing Linux and that sort of thing. I might also want to use it for temporary storage of (my own or other's) private data, so I would want something that allows end-to-end encrypted transfer to and from the cloud (and files to remain encrypted while on the cloud, of course). At the moment I know basically nothing about cloud storage, except that my cellphone service provider, Verizon, keeps trying to get me to use their storage. I am quite certain that I do not want to use anything from Verizon, nor Google, nor Microsoft, nor Apple, nor from any other company that is well known for tracking and/or spying on its users. I might at times want to allow others access to certain unencrypted files or folders (to share a document I wrote, for example), without giving them access to the whole works. So, anybody got suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Suggestions for cloud storage?

Post by Lucap »

I've never tried it but i see a lot of people mention mega.nz but apparently it's heavy on ram usage for the temporary Encryption and Decryption.

*Edit*

Mega might be of no use as look at the ridiculous restrictions of the free 50gb account by this review , 1gb every 6 hours plus file size restrictions. :roll:

https://www.cloudstorageoptions.com/mega/
Last edited by Lucap on Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hi jimallyn,

I use Dropbox and have used spider oak and own cloud in the past. but for me Dropbox presents a good compromise though I would never keep very sensitive into there but for back files and most document I find it meets my needs.
This PC mag review may be of help to you: https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/306323/th ... g-services
If nothing else it gives an overview and has links so you see more.
and this review on LifeHacker https://lifehacker.com/the-best-cloud-s ... -729639300 list some interesting ones but I have not personally tried any of them except sider oak- which worked ok. and dropbox which again for my needs is fine. Good luck in your search.
Looks like for the most secure it's going to cost :(
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the general rules seem to be:
- pay $5 - $10 per month
- has a small Free Storage component, rather than any Free Trial
should be based in The Country that you Reside in . .
http://au.pcmag.com/storage-devices-rev ... es-of-2018
seems to be the same that kc1di suggested, but it's the localized version, for this country :o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

SpiderOak is good. 2 GB free and paid plans.
https://spideroak.com/one/#pricing
Oops, looks like they dropped the free plan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Thanks, gentlemen. Anybody else got suggestions?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

At work we've started using Sync.com.

Previously we used Tresorit, but I think they removed their free options.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

jimallyn wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:44 pm Thanks, gentlemen. Anybody else got suggestions?
Just to point out the obvious, I think a portable external drive would be more convenient for backing up a computer before installing Linux than cloud storage. The 4TB drives are affordable. And it isn't difficult to roll your own with the salvaged SATA HDDs in that box under the bench.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Been thinking about this lately too. It seems like a very easy way to share, as opposed to configuring samba.
Sorry no new suggestions though, I would probably use dropbox if I decide to go ahead. I will check back here though.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
timapple

Post by timapple »

I've been using pCloud.. It has great sync options. It does have cryp to but that is something you have to pay for. But also they have lifetime plans for very cheap, basically if you can afford to pay for a year or two up front you got it for life.

I also use dropbox for some miscellaneous stuff.

I also keep everything backed up on a usb drive.

But pCloud has worked well for me so far.

Cheers!

*** p.s. if you are willing ask me and I'll share my referral link with you, get's you $5 (one month) free.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The sky is a wonderful place to store your clouds. They'll float there, and they will look very pretty.

------

Alternatively...

I don't have faith in cloud backup.

I don't have faith in it for two reasons:

1. I don't trust them to stay in business permanently; and
2. I don't trust them to safeguard your data absolutely against anyone (including Five Eyes and other governments and NGAs)

I do have a Gmail account, which at this point means I have a Google account, and I do use their cloud storage for some things. However, for purposes of computer system backup, I wouldn't trust them and I wouldn't trust anyone else.

Get yourself some external HDDs, back your data up onto them, take them off-site and store them in secure, water-tight containers some place which is otherwise intrinsically safe, and of course make absolutely certain those drives use only encrypted partitions.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Portreve wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:59 pm The sky is a wonderful place to store your clouds. They'll float there, and they will look very pretty.
But that's where I store my chemtrails.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

jimallyn wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:05 amBut that's where I store my chemtrails.
Sounds legit.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”