Unable to find decent LED (NOT LED-backlit) monitors. [SOLVED]

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Unable to find decent LED (NOT LED-backlit) monitors. [SOLVED]

Post by linx255 »

Hi,

I've spent an insane amount of time shopping for a certain kind of monitor.

- brand new, high quality, industrial-grade, rugged, designed to last a decade+ in a mission-critical corporate setting; well-reviewed, 5% 1-star reviews or less
- wall-mountable with no stand ( has 4 mount holes in the back ), 22"/21.5" LED only ( NOT LCD, NOT LED-lit NOR LED-backlit ) widescreen with max 1920x1080 resolution
( a lot of sellers advertise 'LED' then below in the specs it says 'LED-lit' or 'LED-backlit' or even LCD... SMH! )
( it's like they haven't read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED_display )
- hopefully matte black, physical control buttons ( as opposed to touch buttons ), remote control would be nice, 2-3 year warranty, and decent customer service
- wide viewing angle, no glare, picture doesn't cut out from nearly EM pulses generated by power switches and cords or when HDMI cable is wiggled
- NOT a smart TV

Doesn't anybody need / care about quality monitors like this? One would think they'd be easy to find. I know they have to be out there but everything I come across is 'garbaj'. I tried Amazon, Dell, Best Buy, or New Egg. The specs aren't right and often the search ignores my terms completely, most have terrible reviews, and most are LCD, and heaven forbid there be any new units available! The closest match I found on Amazon is "BenQ GW2270HM 22-Inch 1080 LED Monitor, 5ms, 8-bit Display, HDMI" which so far looks like the best bet, but it has the dreaded touch buttons and a stand, though the stand is removable thankfully. May have to settle. :roll:

Tips appreciated!

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
- I'm running Mint 18 Mate 64-bit
- 4.15.0-34-generic x86_64
- All my bash scripts begin with #!/bin/bash
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Unable to find decent LED (NOT LED-backlit) monitors. Help?

Post by xenopeek »

Without exception all consumer desktop monitors you can get right now have a backlight. Your "BenQ GW2270HM 22-Inch 1080 LED Monitor, 5ms, 8-bit Display, HDMI" is a AMVA panel with LED backlight. See the specifications https://www.benq.com/en-us/monitor/styl ... tions.html.

Having 2 million self illuminating leds on a desktop monitor (FullHD resolution) isn't feasible yet. Samsung is working on its QLED technology and has said they will eventually move QLED technology to use self illuminating leds. For now Samsung QLED panels (in their upper range of TVs) also have LED backlights. The only technology available right now with self illuminating leds is OLED. LG sets the pace for that with its upper range of TVs. There are a lot of issues with OLED that while solvable on TVs aren't as easily solvable on desktop monitors (burn in).

This year we'll see more HDR monitors arrive from more manufacturers but those also still have a backlight. Possibly we'll see an OLED monitor this year (as that makes sense with HDR) but it likely will prohibitively expensive.

I think what you're describing doesn't exist (yet) for desktop monitors.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:48 am I think what you're describing doesn't exist (yet) for desktop monitors.
There may be one... Dell 30 UltraSharp OLED Monitor | UP3017Q, and only one.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

"No longer available" it says on the page. Which is why I didn't include it. But yeah, this was the only OLED desktop monitor.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:55 am "No longer available" it says on the page.
Oh. So sorry. I blame my poor eyesight on my advanced age :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:57 am I blame my poor eyesight on my advanced age :)
Or you could blame your poor quality, non-industrial-grade LED-backlit monitor. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:31 am
catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:57 am I blame my poor eyesight on my advanced age :)
Or you could blame your poor quality, non-industrial-grade LED-backlit monitor. :wink:
lol
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

Haha.

I had it all wrong all this time. I took these marketing semantics way too seriously. Ok, so now we got:

1) CCFL-backlit LCD, aka "LCD"
2) LED-backlit LCD, aka "LED", "HDR"
3) "True LED", aka "OLED", "QLED", et al.

Catching my breath! I was not aware true LED was not a reality... Now I feel like I've gone from the future back to the dark ages. :shock: We need a reformation folks, someone's going to burn me at the stake! :mrgreen:

I think your non-industrial grade LED-backlit monitor resulted in your poor eyesight. :wink: I mean, it must have been the devil.
Last edited by linx255 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

There is a simple solution. I learned this when I went to Saudi Arabia with the US military as an air conditioning repairman for a combat communications unit. I thought I would be an asset to my unit in that hot climate but not so. They brought many backup air conditioners and I was not needed at all.

My point is that if you are truly in a mission critical environment a backup monitor is the simple solution. Monitors are generally reliable so the backup will just be collecting dust.
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Post by linx255 »

Thanks, please forgive my exaggeration. It's not as mission critical as a military operation but running a business near- zero down time is extremely important. That's a great idea; I should definitely save my current monitor as a backup. I'm mainly trying to avoid spending money on garbage because I think most of what I'm seeing out there is. I'm so tired of being ripped off.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

linx255 wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:21 pm Thanks, please forgive my exaggeration. It's not as mission critical as a military operation but running a business near- zero down time is extremely important. That's a great idea; I should definitely save my current monitor as a backup. I'm mainly trying to avoid spending money on garbage because I think most of what I'm seeing out there is. I'm so tired of being ripped off.
This is still a valuable thread even though you marked it solved in my opinion.

I think it is an interesting subject. There is a lot of cool info you can search for regarding LED tv's.

When they first came out we did not really think they would survive the test of time but they have actually proven to be quite durable at least in my experience. There is a pixel test you can use to check out new units or old units. Use my navigation instructions for best results. Click on the link below. Then click on the first color, press F11, and scroll through the colors by using ALT+ R arrow key. Press F11 and thats it. Easy Peasy. If any pixels are stuck or missing they will show up.

http://www.deadpixelbuddy.com/

I saw one time where an early generation back lit monitor which had the lighting die was revived. A simple hack was to open the back of the unit and place a standard light bulb there. Point is, they are very simple in this regard. The suspect component has always been the led's but they just keep on glowing. Now it is down to the assembly and that has been taken over by machines which are very accurate. Finally, the screens are extremely durable being very flexible.

My shopping advise is simple, Buy the name brand but if money is tight get it from a big box store as cheap as possible, check for dead pixels, put it in service and return it if there is any problem within 30 days. Warranties suck because you will lose it for weeks. If it should fail put your backup in place and get a new one. I do get stuff from the same big box store online and usually pick it up at the store but they will certainly ship it to your door but I do not recommend that. Flat screen tv's are tough but tumbling them around with assorted other packages is to be avoided. The retail store gets them in on pallets which are fork lifted to the display area. There are things to look for in a particular model such as the base. A real wiggly one would be unsatisfactory for example so read the reviews first if you wish. I get reviews by looking at the particular model on Amazon.com which has reviews.

I bet you have better luck than you think. :)
linx255
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Unable to find decent LED (NOT LED-backlit) monitors. [SOLVED]

Post by linx255 »

Great shopping procedures; will follow! Thank you.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Unable to find decent LED (NOT LED-backlit) monitors. [SOLVED]

Post by Portreve »

Good one, Moem! :lol:

I've had a chance to see and deal with many LCD panels over the years, and it's truly amazing how they've advanced.

My computer is a 2011 13" (330mm) MacBook Pro. It has a very nice LED-backlit LCD panel, and I've never been dissatisfied with its quality. For the past roughly 8 or 9 months, I've been using an external Acer H236HL 23" (584mm) display, and recently when I went back to using the internal display because I took my computer out into the living room to use, I couldn't believe how grainy it seemed. In principle, Apple put a very nice, relatively high-ish end pre-Retina panel in that MBP, and now a $100 monitor beats it.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Open Chat”