Facebook marketplace function ???

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Facebook marketplace function ???

Post by wpshooter »

What does the following screenshot mean ?

What does it mean by an "audience that you are not in" ?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Facebook marketplace function ???

Post by jimallyn »

Could be one of several different things. Often a person will mark something for friends only, and if you're not Facebook friends with them, you won't be able to view it. Or sometimes its friends and friends of friends. Sometimes the content has been removed. And sometimes it's just one of those Facebook quirks. Sometimes if you try again later you will be able to see it, but mostly not.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Is it possible that this is an incompatibility between Facebook and the Firefox browser, I have seen
posts that seem to indicate that this is an answer to this question. Also, found post that say that
this works on some other browsers such as Chrome, etc. but not on Firefox.

Also, I might point out that this is not specific to some particular item that is for sale on the Facebook
marketplace because when I attempt to go to the place on the Facebook menus where I am told that the
marketplace icon/button is supposed to be, there is NO such button/function to be found. According
to the Utube video that I watched the marketplace function is supposed to be under the MORE
functions category - it is NOT there on my Linux Mint / Firefox computer.

Also, I found one post that said something about marketplace being shutdown on March 30th. Is it
possible that Facebook is abandoning this feature of Facebook ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi wpshooter,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I have not been to the Facebook Marketplace in a long time and even then only once, which is an online place to buy or sell stuff, but when I go to that website today it comes up in my Chrome and newer Firefox browsers.

Facebook Marketplace
https://apps.facebook.com/marketplace/

Facebook_MarketPlace1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

What do you mean by "newer Firefox browsers" ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi wpshooter,

Firefox has undergone a major change to use web extensions for add-ons since I think version 57 and newer. This, unfortunately, has made all those wonderful older add-ons incompatible with the newer versions of Firefox. But, there are new updates to some add-ons and other new web extension add-ons to replace the older style add-ons.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Have you tried it again? Maybe the page was just down temporarily? I see the page shown in your screenshot is facebook.com/marketplace, which works just fine for me, although it takes me to the local marketplace. I see the link for it in the upper left corner of the Facebook home page:
MarketplaceScreenshot_2018-03-04_14-34-48.png
(Screenshot is from Firefox 58.0.2 on Mint 17.3 XFCE.)
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Have being doing a bit more research.

Am I correct in suspecting that Facebook and more specifically Marketplace is NOT designed
to work on DESKTOP computers ?

And if this is the case, you would think that they would have some way to detect what type of
hardware you were attempting to set it up on.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

wpshooter wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:46 pm Am I correct in suspecting that Facebook and more specifically Marketplace is NOT designed
to work on DESKTOP computers ?

And if this is the case, you would think that they would have some way to detect what type of
hardware you were attempting to set it up on.
No, you are not correct in suspecting that. Facebook and Marketplace work fine with desktop computers, and if it detects that you are using a mobile device, it will automatically switch you over to m.facebook.com. I have been known to use m.facebook.com on ancient desktop computers that I have installed Linux on just for fun. It uses a LOT less resources.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Facebook works on anything that can access the internet, but the appearance and functionality change a lot.

If the devices are not the same, it is like comparing Apples to Oranges.

I am constantly fuming about not being able to access certain things on my cellphone, they just simply aren't there to use. And if I try to upload an image to FB from my cellphone, FB locks up and has to be deleted and reinstalled. Makes me very aggravated.... but my cellphone is a locked Android on 4.4.4 because any version of Android at 5.x and higher will NOT allow a macro to turn off DATA... WiFi yes, but not DATA.... when my screen is locked, I have a macro turn the Internet off so that the battery will last longer. the apps are always trying to "call home to momma" and that eats up my data plan.

and, this Linux laptop does not come close to looking like what I see on my Win7 desktop which has a 24 inch monitor.

Facebook changes stuff every day, so much so, that I am constantly getting irritated when I can't find something that I was just viewing earlier in the day. it is gone to somewhere.....

it might have been deleted by the author, or one of Facebook's nasty algorithms decided it was afoul of one of their rules and deleted it.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Open Chat”