Mid-budget High Preformance PC Build

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
omar12aladawy

Mid-budget High Preformance PC Build

Post by omar12aladawy »

Hey there,
I am considering building my own PC because Laptops seem to have a low value to money. The PC should have a high prefomrance but not like NASA high. It doesn't have to be able to run Hardcore games or withstand long gaming sessions. It must however be able to run compilcated simulation models with ease and be compatiable with Linux Mint. The Budget is to be around 600-800 and the hardware should last a long time. What components would you recommend ?
Thank you ! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Mid-budget High Preformance PC Build

Post by JeremyB »

Moved to open chat as it isn't a Mint support question
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mid-budget High Preformance PC Build

Post by sdibaja »

omar12aladawy wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:45 am Hey there,
I am considering building my own PC because Laptops seem to have a low value to money. The PC should have a high prefomrance but not like NASA high. It doesn't have to be able to run Hardcore games or withstand long gaming sessions. It must however be able to run compilcated simulation models with ease and be compatiable with Linux Mint. The Budget is to be around 600-800 and the hardware should last a long time. What components would you recommend ?
Thank you ! :)
I went thru that same process last year. I found that components tallied up to more than that same desired budget, under $1,000 USD.
Long story short, I ended up getting a used HP z620 on eBay, configured pretty much as I wanted.
they are coming of lease, originally they sold for about $10k
It is way more than I need, but it does anything I throw at it without any lag at all.
This is Not a specific recommendation but this is what I got:
HP Z620 Workstation
dual Intel Xeon E5-2660 ...16-Core 2.20
Hard Drive Configuration: 2x 2TB 7.2K SATA,
Video Cards: Quadro K2000 2GB,
RAM Configuration: 64GB (8x 8GB)
Paid: $880.00

one downside, it like electricity, lots of it ;-)
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download

Return to “Open Chat”