Best way to check for WiFi MITM?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
virtudave

Best way to check for WiFi MITM?

Post by virtudave »

I'm trying out Linux Mint on my laptop on a public WiFi while waiting for my car to be fixed, but I'm not sure how to check whether someone is snooping on my https content through an MITM (Man-in-the-Middle) attack... I'm reading different things and not sure of a truly adequate secure way to check. I'm using Firefox by the way.

Can anyone advise on this?

The best info I'm finding are "how-to" boards for WiFi Pineapple, but I don't care to actually learn how to hack people, I just want to learn how to protect myself (or at least avoid what I can't protect myself against).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Best way to check for WiFi MITM?

Post by xenopeek »

The best way is to use a VPN so that all traffic between you and the VPN server is encrypted and not readable on the local network. More and more broadband modems and home routers have the option to run your own VPN server for this. Something you should also consider using with your phone.
virtudave

Post by virtudave »

I'm also paranoid of what VPNs will do with the data, so then how do I know which VPNs to trust the most?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Like I said, run your own VPN on your own devices.

Return to “Open Chat”