Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Should Daylight Savings Time be changed? How?

1) Keep it "as is."
17%
2) Make DST year round.
23%
3) Do away with it.
58%
4) Keep it, but tweak it a bit.
No votes
5) My State doesn't have DST, and I'm glad it doesn't.
1%
6) My State doesn't have DST, but I wish it did.
No votes

Total votes: 77

Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Post by Schultz »

It's that time of year again, here in the USA. Daylight Savings Time. Clocks will move ahead one hour at 2:00 am on Sunday. What are your thoughts about it, for those who live in a DST country? Like it? Hate it? Get rid of it? Make it year round?

My thoughts: As a kid, I liked it, but now as an "older" adult I simply despise it. I guess having to go to bed early (while it's still daylight June-August) to awake for an early starting job has something to do with it. :x But it's not just that. I like the nighttime, especially in the winter. It just feels calm and peaceful being in the house as night falls while warming up some tea or milk for hot cocoa.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Post by kyphi »

Here in Australia, the clocks go back one hour on 1st April in the State of New South Wales. It is Autumn. Since the people in each State can decide whether or not to have Daylight Saving you have to be very aware that time differences may apply when crossing a State Border.

I once got to the airport in rural Queensland, which does not have daylight saving, ready for a scheduled morning flight only to find the airport closed. I was an hour too early since I had not adjusted my watch.

My cat knows nothing of time other than that his belly is empty and he comes to waken me to give him food - his clock is called "metabolic rate" and is unaffected by the seasons :D
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Schultz wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 pm It's that time of year again, here in the USA.
Your poll doesn't account for countries like mine where daylight saving is in place. Despite that, I recall as child, over eight decades ago now, refusing to go to bed in the UK at 11 o'clock at night because it was still daylight. In Australia, daylight saving is a great benefit to our society... more time at the beach in the afternoon, more time to enjoy the afternoon garden...
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

catweazel wrote:
Your poll doesn't account for countries like mine where daylight saving is in place.
I fail to see how it doesn't take it in account. Either you like DST "as it is" in your country or you don't. Either you want it year round, or you don't want it all.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Schultz wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 pm
catweazel wrote:
Your poll doesn't account for countries like mine where daylight saving is in place.
I fail to see how it doesn't take it in account. Either you like DST "as it is" in your country or you don't. Either you want it year round, or you don't want it all.
Some of us don't know what the current state is in the USA, so 'leave it as it is' can be taken two ways. Even when taken as you propose, there is no relationship from 'leave it as it is' to 'liking it'.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Okay, I guess I see what you're saying. I edited and added a new option. I can't really get into more without the whole poll becoming verbose, if that's the proper word to use.

Also I see that editing the poll has erased the answers already given.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

In Australia, daylight saving is not observed in Queensland, the Northern Territory or Western Australia - so it is not universally accepted.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

kyphi wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:39 pm In Australia, daylight saving is not observed in Queensland, the Northern Territory or Western Australia - so it is not universally accepted.
Yes, but there's no accounting for backwardness :mrgreen:
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:42 pm Yes, but there's no accounting for backwardness :mrgreen:
...on which side of the fence ? :roll:
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

A day has got 24 hours, no more, no less. There is no way of tweaking this number. So DST does not give us more time per day.
DST was invented at a time when oil started to get expensive. Way back in the 70th of the previous century. It was meant to help us save energy.
This has never worked out anywhere. Missed its goal.
But causes a lot of hassle whenever the clocks have to be turned back by one hour in autumn or turned forward in spring.
Get rid of this foolish nonsense as soon as possible.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

karlchen wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:49 am A day has got 24 hours, no more, no less. There is no way of tweaking this number. So DST does not give us more time per day.
DST was invented at a time when oil started to get expensive. Way back in the 70th of the previous century. It was meant to help us save energy.
This has never worked out anywhere. Missed its goal.
But causes a lot of hassle whenever the clocks have to be turned back by one hour in autumn or turned forward in spring.
Get rid of this foolish nonsense as soon as possible.
Well put. Away with that bloody annoying nonsense.

Note that the European Parliament recently missed an opportunity to make itself useful for a change:
https://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/e ... h-dst.html

Key quote:
A more stringent proposal, put forward by Finland, which called for a more straight-forward process of abolishing yearly clock changes, did not get a majority of the votes.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

A day has got 24 hours, no more, no less
Every four years...?
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Pippin.

The leap day occuring every 4 years, with a few exceptions, does not correct the length of our days. It is needed to make make up for the fact that our planet does not complete its journey around the sun in 365 days, but it takes roughly 365,25 days. So every 4 years these 0,25 years sum up to a leap day, making the year a leap year.
The leap day is absolutely unrelated to DST.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

kyphi wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:39 pm In Australia, daylight saving is not observed in Queensland, the Northern Territory or Western Australia - so it is not universally accepted.

so it's a big deal in "some states" in the USA, at the moment. . .
( there are some enlightened states - that don't have DST )
but, it's no big deal around these parts, as every referendum, to 'introduce it' - - has Failed.
- several such referendums, in fact, over some Thirty Years or so . . .

in fact some things never change - - a compulsory "Trial Run" of a DST Trial, followed by another referendum.
- usually when the State Gov't is getting hammered by the State Opposition, or by the Local Media.
a good & decisive diversion, on each and every time, too.
:(
but, that's politics y'know.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

karlchen wrote:
The leap day occuring every 4 years, with a few exceptions, does not correct the length of our days. It is needed to make make up for the fact that our planet does not complete its journey around the sun in 365 days, but it takes roughly 365,25 days. So every 4 years these 0,25 years sum up to a leap day, making the year a leap year.
I have somewhat of an interest in time keeping, which is why I keep these figures handy:

The exact time for the tropical year is 365.24219 days, or 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, 45 seconds. This little bit more than an exact number of days is just under 25% of a full day (25% of a full day would be 6 hours). This is what necessitated the change from the Julian Calendar to the Gregorian Calendar. The rules for leap years are:

1) Every 4th year is scheduled to be a leap year, except . . .
2) every full century divisible by 400 is scheduled to not be a leap year, except . . .
3) every full century divisible by 4,000 is scheduled to again be a leap year.

Put in practical examples:

1996 was a leap year, being the 4th year in the cycle (rule #1). 2000 was not a leap year, because although it was the 4th year of the cycle, it was a full century year divisible by 400 (rule #2). 3996 will be a leap year (theoretically) because it is the 4th year of the cycle (rule #1). 4000 will also be a leap year (theoretically), because although it is a full century year divisible by 400 (rule #2), it is also divisible by 4,000 (rule #3).
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

@ Schultz - Considering your interest in Time, may I recommend to you a book that deals with this particular topic in a most excellent manner:

Longitude by Dava Sobel
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

The Florida legislature has overwhelmingly just passed the "Sunshine Protection Act" and the bill is on the governor's desk. This bill would put Florida on Daylight Savings Time permanently. It will still have to be approved by the US congress to take effect, and several Florida senators intend to pursue it. If successful, it will take place next year. I am definitely for the idea, as we can enjoy more of our Florida sunshine in the winter. :)

It would make Florida an hour ahead of of the rest of the eastern US, that is on Eastern Standard time, for half of each year. I'm not sure how it would affect the western panhandle of Florida, as they are in the Central Time Zone. Hawaii and most of Arizona don't observe DST. Neither do any of the US territories; Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
nakednorman

Post by nakednorman »

I prefer the sun to be at its zenith at mid-day.

I like this explanation:
When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old
Indian said, "Only the government would believe that you
could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the
bottom, and have a longer blanket."
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

nakednorman wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:42 am I prefer the sun to be at its zenith at mid-day.
Then you would have to be on local time for your exact location. If you are a little east or west of your time zone's meridian, then the sun isn't directly overhead at noon. Even then, mid-day would vary up to 16 minutes and 33 seconds due to variations of the earth's orbit.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I have to addmit I'm rather indifferent to it. Retired and enjoying it :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Open Chat”