Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Should Daylight Savings Time be changed? How?

1) Keep it "as is."
17%
2) Make DST year round.
23%
3) Do away with it.
58%
4) Keep it, but tweak it a bit.
No votes
5) My State doesn't have DST, and I'm glad it doesn't.
1%
6) My State doesn't have DST, but I wish it did.
No votes

Total votes: 77

lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Post by lsemmens »

I can't work out how I ever found the time to go to work! :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

lsemmens wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:06 am I can't work out how I ever found the time to go to work! :D
I tried it for a while. There are only so many pictures of ducks and geese you can take, the eagles were elusive, and 10,000 landscapes...

Also, music was on the back burner because our drummer had issues with his hip and knee. So I got a day job. Of course, now the drummer is ready to go... :?
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Luna Moon

Post by Luna Moon »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:49 pm You don't use as many candles in the summer, do you? :lol:
Do you use those candles only for one hour? ;) :D
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

karlchen wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:49 am A day has got 24 hours, no more, no less. There is no way of tweaking this number. So DST does not give us more time per day.
DST was invented at a time when oil started to get expensive. Way back in the 70th of the previous century. It was meant to help us save energy.
This has never worked out anywhere. Missed its goal.
But causes a lot of hassle whenever the clocks have to be turned back by one hour in autumn or turned forward in spring.
Get rid of this foolish nonsense as soon as possible.
You're correct. DST doesn't give us more time per day, but it does shift the daylight to a later time in the day so that there's more light in the evening (I'm in the USA).

But, I agree, stop the madness! :evil:
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

One question... How do I stop my curtains from fading with all this extra sunlight..........................................[runs]......[Hides]:D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Schultz wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 pm It's that time of year again, here in the USA. Daylight Savings Time. Clocks will move ahead one hour at 2:00 am on Sunday. What are your thoughts about it, for those who live in a DST country? Like it? Hate it? Get rid of it? Make it year round?

Several states in the USA are putting a stop that nonsense.
Here in Oklahoma, the legislature is voting on it now.

pure nonsense, IMO.... but now that I am retired, it just don't matter anymore..... I quite frequently don't go to bed until the sun starts lighting up the eastern sky :mrgreen:

then I get up about noon around the time the forums are starting to wake up again. :D
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Luna Moon wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:56 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:49 pm You don't use as many candles in the summer, do you? :lol:
Do you use those candles only for one hour? ;) :D
Not here We use them for a few hours.

Especially if you live near Boston after the last 3 weeks! :shock:

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:57 pm
Schultz wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 pm It's that time of year again, here in the USA. Daylight Savings Time. Clocks will move ahead one hour at 2:00 am on Sunday. What are your thoughts about it, for those who live in a DST country? Like it? Hate it? Get rid of it? Make it year round?

Several states in the USA are putting a stop that nonsense.
Here in Oklahoma, the legislature is voting on it now.

pure nonsense, IMO.... but now that I am retired, it just don't matter anymore..... I quite frequently don't go to bed until the sun starts lighting up the eastern sky :mrgreen:

then I get up about noon around the time the forums are starting to wake up again. :D
Like I always say, timing is everything!

ddayhtx

Post by ddayhtx »

It doesn't really affect me in a noticeable way. My wife however, swear it's the reason for her being late. And she leans on that until the next time change. S :?
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

ddayhtx wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:39 pm My wife however, swear it's the reason for her being late.
An extra hour in bed could well result in her being late. :shock:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

65% says do away with it. That's a clear majority. Now who do we call to get it done? :D
anjomor

Post by anjomor »

Do we have a choice?
My body clock needs to adjust... :oops:
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:07 am 65% says do away with it. That's a clear majority. Now who do we call to get it done? :D
That's a good question. They've been talking about it here (US) since I was a kid.
I'm not gonna say how long that's been, but I can tell you, trying to get people together on this is like trying to herd cats...

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

It's the same with the calendar. There's a replacement for our current one. Forgot the name but it switches to 13 months of 28 days each, so that 1st of every month is on the same day of the week. Not just from one month to the next, but from one year to the next. It calls for 2 special days which wouldn't fall on a day of the week or in a month but are extra: new year's day and leap day.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:42 am It's the same with the calendar. There's a replacement for our current one. Forgot the name but it switches to 13 months of 28 days each, so that 1st of every month is on the same day of the week. Not just from one month to the next, but from one year to the next. It calls for 2 special days which wouldn't fall on a day of the week or in a month but are extra: new year's day and leap day.
I never heard of it, but it sounds great for those of us who are triskaidekaphobic... :shock:

trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Community - Abed & Daylight Savings Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOOjRxGL9RI
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

It's great, but I hate the changes, it upsets me a lot. I could do without it, was born in a world without daylight savings.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

xenopeek wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:42 am It's the same with the calendar. There's a replacement for our current one. Forgot the name but it switches to 13 months of 28 days each, so that 1st of every month is on the same day of the week. Not just from one month to the next, but from one year to the next. It calls for 2 special days which wouldn't fall on a day of the week or in a month but are extra: new year's day and leap day.
Sounds a lot better.

By the way: our months are essentially a weird amalgamate: the irrational Roman month count after the reform by Julius Caesar. The month whose name means "7th month" (september) is the 9th, the name meaning 8th month (october) is the 10th, and likewise with november and december. All because two leap months (now July and August) were added in the middle....

And how about the names of the week days: German Gods in countries with a germanic language, and Roman Gods in countries with a latin derivative as language.... Somehow the Christianization never succeeded (or bothered) to change that. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Luna Moon

Post by Luna Moon »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:56 pm By the way: our months are essentially a weird amalgamate: the irrational Roman month count after the reform by Julius Caesar. The month whose name means "7th month" (september) is the 9th, the name meaning 8th month (october) is the 10th, and likewise with november and december. All because two leap months (now July and August) were added in the middle....
Interesting. I didn't know there were two months added. But your explanation of the names makes sense. I never realized it though. But I also got confused that some countries start their week with Monday and others with Sunday. Well, I guess that happens when humans try to press nature into number systems ^^

Return to “Open Chat”