Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Should Daylight Savings Time be changed? How?

1) Keep it "as is."
17%
2) Make DST year round.
23%
3) Do away with it.
58%
4) Keep it, but tweak it a bit.
No votes
5) My State doesn't have DST, and I'm glad it doesn't.
1%
6) My State doesn't have DST, but I wish it did.
No votes

Total votes: 77

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Post by xenopeek »

It's coming up for us last weekend of March. I've never seen the point of it. Add one hour, subtract one hour, add one hour, ... why instead not move it back half an hour one final time and then leave it at that.
nakednorman

Post by nakednorman »

kenetics wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:55 am
nakednorman wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:42 am I prefer the sun to be at its zenith at mid-day.
Then you would have to be on local time for your exact location. If you are a little east or west of your time zone's meridian, then the sun isn't directly overhead at noon. Even then, mid-day would vary up to 16 minutes and 33 seconds due to variations of the earth's orbit.
Indeed , that is the case, but I can't do much about the earth's orbit :)
You can't be far from the meridian where I live and I would prefer the variation to be up to 16 mins 33 secs rather than up to 1 hour 16 mins & 33 secs. I must just say that changing back & forth is "a waste of time" , if only to hear the groans :)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Florida's state government, as I understand it, is looking to change things. Personally, I like having an extra hour, so I'm not a fan of setting the clock forward an hour.
xenopeek wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:42 pm It's coming up for us last weekend of March. I've never seen the point of it. Add one hour, subtract one hour, add one hour, ... why instead not move it back half an hour one final time and then leave it at that.
I couldn't agree more.

If I could have my will, I'd wish there were 10 months to a year with 35 days a month, ever month. I'd install some kind of set of thrusters at key points along Earth's equator and run them to adjust the planet's rotation, and then periodically re-run them to keep it going nice and smoothly.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:06 pm
Schultz wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 pm It's that time of year again, here in the USA.
Your poll doesn't account for countries like mine where daylight saving is in place. Despite that, I recall as child, over eight decades ago now, refusing to go to bed in the UK at 11 o'clock at night because it was still daylight. In Australia, daylight saving is a great benefit to our society... more time at the beach in the afternoon, more time to enjoy the afternoon garden...
That I like...
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

kyphi wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:39 pm In Australia, daylight saving is not observed in Queensland, the Northern Territory or Western Australia - so it is not universally accepted.
Well, the problem where you live is, the further south you go, the further north you go! ;)

Also, it's colder in the summer than in the winter.

God, I'm giving myself a headache...

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

karlchen wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:49 am A day has got 24 hours, no more, no less. There is no way of tweaking this number. So DST does not give us more time per day.
DST was invented at a time when oil started to get expensive. Way back in the 70th of the previous century. It was meant to help us save energy.
This has never worked out anywhere. Missed its goal.
But causes a lot of hassle whenever the clocks have to be turned back by one hour in autumn or turned forward in spring.
Get rid of this foolish nonsense as soon as possible.
Long before that. Much longer than that.

That's why this is a tough question. What's new to you in Germany is old news to us in the US! But, for similar reasons.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:42 pm It's coming up for us last weekend of March. I've never seen the point of it. Add one hour, subtract one hour, add one hour, ... why instead not move it back half an hour one final time and then leave it at that.
Because that involves some common sense.

Also, have you ever seen "The Day The Earth Stood Still"? The original version from 1949: "The Premiere regrets he can not attend unless the meeting is held in Moscow"

"The Prime Minister will not attend unless the meeting is held in Washington" :roll:

Luna Moon

Post by Luna Moon »

I wouldn't mind if we stopped shifting back and forth. Many people don't like it or and get confused. I don't see much of a benefit of it neither.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Luna Moon wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:47 pm I wouldn't mind if we stopped shifting back and forth. Many people don't like it or and get confused. I don't see much of a benefit of it neither.
You don't use as many candles in the summer, do you? :lol:

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:22 pm

I'm giving myself a headache...
:lol:
But just for sake of completion, I should note that it's actually warm in our summer and cold in our winter, the same as you. It's just that your winter is in December and ours is in June. So we get to sing "Silent night, holy night..." or "Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!" whilst wearing shorts and sandals.
How's that headache comin' along? :mrgreen:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

We don't see much sun in the winter but I would like to have daylight saving time all year around.
Scupper

Post by Scupper »

nakednorman wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:42 am I prefer the sun to be at its zenith at mid-day.

I like this explanation:
When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old
Indian said, "Only the government would believe that you
could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the
bottom, and have a longer blanket."
Ha! I like that!
I'm not a fan.
When you live close to the equator, it's irrelevant! Though I can see how it may appeal to folk who live in the higher latitudes.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

I seen to remenber that when I was a kid in England during WW2 we had DDST (double daylight savings time) when the clocks were put forward two hours for summer and and back the two hours for winter. As children, we loved it. It was still light at 11.00 p.m. and our parents had great difficulty in getting us to go to bed.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
nakednorman

Post by nakednorman »

tenfoot wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 am I seen to remenber that when I was a kid in England during WW2 we had DDST (double daylight savings time) when the clocks were put forward two hours for summer and and back the two hours for winter. As children, we loved it. It was still light at 11.00 p.m. and our parents had great difficulty in getting us to go to bed.
But you still had the same number of hours of daylight - they just happened when the clock was out of sync with the earth.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

nakednorman wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:31 am
tenfoot wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:02 am I seen to remenber that when I was a kid in England during WW2 we had DDST (double daylight savings time) when the clocks were put forward two hours for summer and and back the two hours for winter. As children, we loved it. It was still light at 11.00 p.m. and our parents had great difficulty in getting us to go to bed.
But you still had the same number of hours of daylight - they just happened when the clock was out of sync with the earth.
I think he already knows that. :lol:

Nice childhood memory, by the way.... But what a tremendous blow to your biological clock that must have been: no less than two hours. Comparable to jet lag. :shock:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I hate it. As others have already said, I think it's pointless, it upsets our body clocks and is literally a waste of time, as in the time it takes to go round and re-calibrate clocks and timers plus checking that the automated ones have updated. It's really confusing as well.

I can't imagine our ancestors turning their sun dials round every six months, they would think you were mad for asking.

I've heard all manner of excuses for keeping this twice-yearly clock-changing ritual. As a kid I was told it was to help the farmers .. but since when did they clock on at a fixed time? Factory workers do, and many would appreciate not losing the last of the evening sun due to the clocks going back for the winter. That is why I voted for "Keep DST all year" but what I actually mean is adopt GMT+1 all year.

Another one: Schools (in Scotland) .. why not adjust their hours accordingly (is there even a set opening & closing time across the board?) or give Scotland their own time zone! It's a country in its own right after all and there are timezones within individual countries in some places, so it's not that crazy a concept. I'll have to ask my Scottish mate what he thinks.

GMT+1 would result in a significant cut in home lighting costs during the winter. Getting rid of DST clock changes would also save the inevitable cases of people turning up an hour early or late for work. It would also put an end to the constant reminders for weeks beforehand, from the media and in conversations, which add significantly to my irritation. :x

My general impression is that the majority of people I know would prefer to get rid of the clock-changing. The clock is either right, or it isn't. So in any case where DST is involved, the clocks are WRONG for 6 months of the year whichever way you look at it.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
srq2625

Post by srq2625 »

I strongly dislike DST and think it should be abandoned.

Something that might be interest, especially if you're into wearing tin-foil hats...

I recently read that, while the common consensus is that DST was established to make farm-life more accommodating it is, in fact, more about giving consumers more time to shop after they get off work. The feeling being that people tend to rush home from the shops as it gets darker. So, by having DST in the summer, shoppers are accorded an extra hour to spend their hard-earned. And, (here's where the conspiracy theory comes it) of course, since it's a law it must be that the US Congress (Senate and House of Reps, both) have been paid off by those with something to sell.

I don't know how much truth there is in the above, just thought it might be interesting to throw that into the mix. :)
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

"the US Congress (Senate and House of Reps, both) have been paid off by those with something to sell."
the US Congress (Senate and House of Reps, both) are those with something to sell.

fixed it, so it is obviously no longer a conspiracy theory.
enjoy your day.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

Fred Barclay wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:30 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:22 pm

I'm giving myself a headache...
:lol:
But just for sake of completion, I should note that it's actually warm in our summer and cold in our winter, the same as you. It's just that your winter is in December and ours is in June. So we get to sing "Silent night, holy night..." or "Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!" whilst wearing shorts and sandals.
How's that headache comin' along? :mrgreen:
LOL!

Yeah, but you got them's funny animals!

As a matter of fact, when I first started using Linux, I remember seeing it described as a platypus: "An animal designed by a committee"

lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I don't really care. I'm retired so I get up when I'm good and ready and go to bed when I'm good and ready. The only real annoyance is having to watch the 6 O'clock news in the middle of the day.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Open Chat”