Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Should Daylight Savings Time be changed? How?

1) Keep it "as is."
17%
2) Make DST year round.
23%
3) Do away with it.
58%
4) Keep it, but tweak it a bit.
No votes
5) My State doesn't have DST, and I'm glad it doesn't.
1%
6) My State doesn't have DST, but I wish it did.
No votes

Total votes: 77

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Post by Arch_Enemy »

majpooper wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:23 pm In the 90s I had an assignment in Japan. I was telling a Japanese person about DST. He thought I was kidding him. He told me that time of day is based on the earth's relationship to the sun and "even the USA can't change that." What could I say? So . . . . no DST in Japan.
LOL!
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Meant to post this reply ages ago, got distracted .. as usual .. :oops:
PETR0NIUS wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:07 am Why do we have clocks in the first place? To establish a STANDARD by which we can coordinate our activities. DST is utter madness. The Bureau of Standards should have squashed this thing because it perverts the meaning of the word "Standard".
Exactly! Couldn't have put it better myself. :wink:
majpooper wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:23 pm He told me that time of day is based on the earth's relationship to the sun and "even the USA can't change that."
I don't know of any nation capable of advancing or retarding the Earth's rotational position by 15°. Even if this were possible, without causing world-covering tsunamis, ripping everything on the surface from its roots followed by liquification and subsequent resurfacing of the Earth's crust, doing this would be the ONLY logical reason why clocks would need to be adjusted. Period.

It simply is not logical. There appears to be a net loss in the balance between benefit and cost, when all the time-wasting & inconvenience caused to millions of citizens is taken into account..
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The EU Commission is running a poll for EU citizens on whether to abandon daylight savings time (summertime) within the EU. You can vote till mid August.

I've made a new topic with the details: EU polls citizens on abandoning daylight savings time
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:44 pm The EU Commission is running a poll for EU citizens on whether to abandon daylight savings time (summertime) within the EU. You can vote till mid August.
Excellent. :D

It's about time.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

WIll they put their clocks back to allow for late pollsters? :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

DST like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, etc. marks a life altering event. Love it or hate it, it is significant in the measure of your days and it an event that marks the beginning or end of a period in your life. Look foreword to it or look foreword to hating it, it is what it is. I'm retired and don't give a hoot, every day is Saturday. I get up when I want and go to bed when I am tired.
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Schultz wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:07 pmDaylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Halfway now through July, and DST is playing havoc on me. It's hard to get enough sleep when you need to be in bed an hour before sunset to get a full 8. :?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

for 20 years, I lived in Arizona and they never changed times, period.

loved it.....
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Schultz wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:38 pm Halfway now through July, and DST is playing havoc on me. It's hard to get enough sleep when you need to be in bed an hour before sunset to get a full 8. :?
I know exactly how you feel. I've had this job now for over two years, and my start time is pretty early.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I live at 32° N so the summer/winner sun day change is not radical, and I am retired also.
DST is a major annoyance, but it is not really high on my list of things to concern myself with.

How about Spain wooping butt in Russia? That was cool, and Mexico didn't embarrass us either.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I vote to get rid of it. If you want to start your day an hour earlier then just do it.

i have a bunch of security cams around the house and they have a mind of their own when it comes to timekeeping. Sometimes I set them to one time only to find they have set themselves to another. I think this is due to the central control & recording box. So I have decided long ago that the entire system stays ob standard time year round.

So last Saturday there was a break-in attempt next door and it was caught by one of my security cams. Finding and extracting the video was complicated because I was searching the recording at the wrong timestamp. The event was after midnight but the timestamp was before midnight.

The entire thing is a pain and a hassle.

Then I have a clock which is supposed to set itself on time by radio. Except it is somewhat deaf or just far away or not listening but it always sets itself back and forth a week or two or three late. So for a few weeks a year I do not know if it is showing the correct time or an hour early or late. It is worse than if it did not work at all.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

GS3 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:28 am Then I have a clock which is supposed to set itself on time by radio. Except it is somewhat deaf or just far away or not listening but it always sets itself back and forth a week or two or three late.
Similar issue with the one I have on the ground floor. It goes haywire for a while after time changes & displays very strange results. I have a photo somewhere; will have a look for it if anyone's interested. The most reliable one is probably the ex-NHS quartz analogue clock in the kitchen, given to me years ago by the hospital staff. Runs for years on 1 AA cell & keeps very good time. It's the only one which benefits from a 6-monthly reset to keep it spot on.

ETA: Found the photo.
Crazy_Clock.jpg
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Considering changing some house and computer clocks to UTC.
My world will expand
Peter
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

We just suffered the consequences of the stupidity of "daylight saving and flight missing" time because my wife did not make the flight connection in New York and she had to wait a full 24 hours there to get on the same flight the following day. Thankfully the airline paid for hotel and meals and my wife has friends in NY and she got a chance to visit.

The obvious thing is that when one zone changes time with respect to another some flights will arrive with a one hour delay with respect to what they were and certain flight connections cannot be made. Just this fact is enough to get rid of this

Europe and America change back and forth on different dates so it makes the transition even messier.

Get rid of it!
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

isn't some parts of Europe now looking ditching Daylight Savings
- permanently ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Starting to waffle on the subject a bit... I don't mind daylight savings time.
I just hate having to stay up until 1 am to set the clocks ahead.
Peter
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

you think it's bad in your area , read if you have the time about the mess in Arizona, USA Daylight time. https://www.timeanddate.com/time/us/arizona-no-dst.html

ps:of course you have the time, the DST Fairy just gave you an extra hour to sleep in :lol:
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

trytip wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:04 am ps:of course you have the time, the DST Fairy just gave you an extra hour to sleep in :lol:
Any perceived value is lost if you've had to stay up until 2 or 3 in the morning to set them.

This time the downstairs RC clock set itself, but the one I have upstairs is still on BST a week later. :x

Anyone know which agency is responsible for setting and unsetting DST in the UK? I need to know where to send the bill, charging them for my time plus night-time "call out" fee since I'm responsible for the clocks here and am therefore required to spend up to an hour dealing with them each year, in the middle of the night.

I think a night rate of £25 per hour (or part thereof) plus a reasonable call-out fee of, say, £85 should cover it. If EVERYONE did that, they would soon get the message. Businesses should DEFINITELY do this and they could charge hundreds of pounds.

I just wish they would end this bloody time wasting nonsense once and for all. Once again I now have several weeks of my mate reminding us all of it in just about every conversation down the pub: "When the clocks go/went back" AARRRGGHHHH! Leave it out !! (He's usually talking about his walks etc. & can't help mentioning the clocks). :x

Calm down .. calm down .. breeeeathe .. put that axe down .. :roll:
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Ahh, finally it's no longer dark at 7:30 am. Back to normal.

Return to “Open Chat”