Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Should Daylight Savings Time be changed? How?

1) Keep it "as is."
17%
2) Make DST year round.
23%
3) Do away with it.
58%
4) Keep it, but tweak it a bit.
No votes
5) My State doesn't have DST, and I'm glad it doesn't.
1%
6) My State doesn't have DST, but I wish it did.
No votes

Total votes: 77

sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Post by sdibaja »

trytip wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:04 am you think it's bad in your area , read if you have the time about the mess in Arizona, USA Daylight time. https://www.timeanddate.com/time/us/arizona-no-dst.html

ps:of course you have the time, the DST Fairy just gave you an extra hour to sleep in :lol:
What mess?
I lived in Arizona for a couple years, we had no problems. And Yes, I did some work on the reservations. It was like messing with California and their DST. A pain in the butt, but the same.

My internal clock got me up at the normal time (solar time). Nobody "gave" me a damned thing.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Schultz wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:02 pm Ahh, finally it's no longer dark at 7:30 am. Back to normal.
But, it is at 16:45. That's why I voted to keep DST all year round. Had to add another half hour to the room light timer this afternoon as it is getting so dull & the yard light was already on when I went down to sort out the cat food etc. around 17:00. :(

What also irks me is that they've changed the official changeover time at least once. I'm sure it used to be midnight (or 01:00) meaning an extra hour in the pub; they often "forgot" at the other end & therefore you didn't get chucked out an hour early.

Now it's 02:00 I think, so after setting for BST you'd have less than 3 hours' sleep before your morning shift. :shock:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
bassplayer

Post by bassplayer »

I have teams for work that I manage that are located in Eastern Europe. After today, it's an eight hour time difference until March. Ugh!

Hate DST. Just have just left it alone and not fall back.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

'Falling' back is not too bad.
'Springing' forward sucks
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

bassplayer wrote:
Hate DST. Just have just left it alone and not fall back.
I hate it also, but I say don't spring forward. :wink:
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

My favorite story RE:DST is when I was in Japan I explaining DST in the USA to a Japanese person. They thought I was joking. I tried to assure them I was on the level. They explained to me that they knew I was joking because the time of day is a function of the relationship of the earth's position to the Sun - and in their words "even the USA can't change that."
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

One argument was given in the defence of DST that Farmers like it and don't want it changed. I was raised in a farm/ranch community and everyone I knew in the community went to work at daybreak and stopped at dark. If you got hungry you stop and eat. Don't need no stinking clock.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

majpooper wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:31 pm My favorite story RE:DST is when I was in Japan I explaining DST in the USA to a Japanese person. They thought I was joking. I tried to assure them I was on the level. They explained to me that they knew I was joking because the time of day is a function of the relationship of the earth's position to the Sun - and in their words "even the USA can't change that."
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=265435&start=60#p1480575

I find some validity to that. Solar time is defined as a function of the Earth's position with respect to the Sun.

Legal time and time zones, IMHO, should be as close as possible to solar time because anything else is just confusing and misleading. "I don't like getting out of bed at 7 AM because it feels it's too early so I'll just say it is 9 AM and that will make it easier to get out of bed". Sounds kind of dumb.

In any case, if your flight is departing an hour later in "real time" it is going to arrive an hour later and you are going to miss your connection and the fact that they called the departure an hour earlier in "fake time" will not make any difference. It will still be late. As my wife just experienced a few days ago.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

sdibaja wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:52 pm Considering changing some house and computer clocks to UTC.
My world will expand
Oh, my! :shock:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

majpooper wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:31 pm My favorite story RE:DST is when I was in Japan I explaining DST in the USA to a Japanese person. They thought I was joking. I tried to assure them I was on the level. They explained to me that they knew I was joking because the time of day is a function of the relationship of the earth's position to the Sun - and in their words "even the USA can't change that."
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
T_Characht3r

Post by T_Characht3r »

Nuetral. I understand why DST even cam into existence, and I don't really care if it stays or goes.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Well here we are, it's that time of the year again. When will this madness end?
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Coffee.
I just made another pot.
Gonna be a long night, staying up until 2 am to change the damned clocks.

I suggest you all do the same, don't trust your alarm!
Peter
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Schultz wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:28 pm ...
When will this madness end?

The madness will never end.
I drink a Corona and reinforce it with a Chardonnay - disinfection, so to speak, from the inside out.
Recapitulating my conversation today with my sister and my sister-in-law, I have to say the madness will never end.
Actually, the good old madness is picking up speed right now.
The stupid seasonal change of time is irrelevant against this rampant madness.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

And right on-cue this bi-annual nonsense strikes again. Only the day before yesterday had the first mention of this off my mate "when the clocks go forward ..." ... they bloody don't, at least most of them, by themselves, so another wasted half-hour or so in the middle of the night resetting them all and making sure they are all exactly one hour wrong for the "summer" months

... End period intentionally missed as there might not be an end to this nonsense in our lifetimes.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Schultz wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:28 pm Well here we are, it's that time of the year again. When will this madness end?
Possibly soon. Many States have been considering ending the DST farce. An apocryphal story claims a wise, old Native American once said that only white man can cut a foot off one end of a blanket, sew it to the other end, and think he made it longer.

I personally detest it. I live in AZ and we do just fine and dandy here without it.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

We are about to get rid of it..............for winter.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I'd prefer to remain on Winter Time (whichever one it is that you "Fall back") and I really don't like the other one.

Personally, I don't understand why, if we really need to get rid of it, we can't just split the difference and land exactly 30 minutes in the middle between them. Seems like the more sensible option to me.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

persona preference: abolish DST
to me it serves no purpose at all...
I lived in Arizona for a bit more that a year (Az. is the one US Stare that never had DST) and it was simple, it just worked

Actually, considering my involvement with the greater world, UTC aka GMT with Longitude would be my higher preference... With modern computers offsets to literal day and night are near instant.
Peter
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Just a thought: DST is bad for your health. Science seems to be rather unanimous on that.

Now the upcoming Corona virus (COVID-19) pandemic necessitates us to be as healthy as possible. So in order to withstand that nearing pandemic better, it would help if DST would be suspended.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Open Chat”