Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.

Should Daylight Savings Time be changed? How?

1) Keep it "as is."
17%
2) Make DST year round.
23%
3) Do away with it.
58%
4) Keep it, but tweak it a bit.
No votes
5) My State doesn't have DST, and I'm glad it doesn't.
1%
6) My State doesn't have DST, but I wish it did.
No votes

Total votes: 77

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Daylight Savings Time, Like it or Hate it?

Post by mediclaser »

DST benefits me and my family, because we can enjoy a lot of outdoor activities after coming home from work. We prefer riding our bikes all the way to the trails when there is daylight. I also fly rc helicopters which I could not operate when it's already dark (unlike rc "drones" which usually come with night lights).
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Personally, I would prefer that the DST is abolished.

I lived in Arizona for 20 years and loved it, never have to wonder what time it is, the clock is always right.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I do not understand the concept. So in winter you work 9 to 5 but in summer you can't just change your schedule and work 8 to 4? You have to pretend it is still 9 to 5? Because 8 is too early to start work? Reminds of the guy who was asked if he wanted his pizza cut in 4 or 8 pieces and he said "better cut it in just 4 because there's no way I could eat 8 slices of pizza".
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

GS3 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:27 pm I do not understand the concept. So in winter you work 9 to 5 but in summer you can't just change your schedule and work 8 to 4? You have to pretend it is still 9 to 5? Because 8 is too early to start work? Reminds of the guy who was asked if he wanted his pizza cut in 4 or 8 pieces and he said "better cut it in just 4 because there's no way I could eat 8 slices of pizza".
LOL! Well, since the days are longer it extends the daylight hours, and cuts down on the use of candles. Now it could be argued it cuts down on the use of electricity.

I just like having it lighter later in the winter. Back in the day the argument was it made it lighter in the morning for when the kids had to walk to school.

Who the h :shock: ll walks to school in the US any more???
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

GS3 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:27 pm I do not understand the concept. So in winter you work 9 to 5 but in summer you can't just change your schedule and work 8 to 4? You have to pretend it is still 9 to 5? Because 8 is too early to start work?
Exactly my thoughts, too. It's just stupid everyone having the hassle of being forced to set all the clocks and timers an hour wrong in summer, far easier for just those whose work schedules would benefit from time changes to adjust their alarm clocks.

Another point: For those whose journey includes sections where the rising and/or setting sun causes vision impairment, having DST may cause them to put up with it up to twice as much. Wonder how many accidents happen due to solar glare? Factory workers are particularly affected by this, especially when regularly doing overtime as I have.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

BG405 wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 5:48 pm Another point: For those whose journey includes sections where the rising and/or setting sun causes vision impairment, having DST may cause them to put up with it up to twice as much. Wonder how many accidents happen due to solar glare? Factory workers are particularly affected by this, especially when regularly doing overtime as I have.
which is what I'd have to do- - Drive West in the Morning & East in the Afternoon - - Bliss , the Sun is always behind you. . .
- then I'd gotten Transferred - - Drive East in the Morning & West in the Afternoon.
in a RHD Ford Bravo - - so my Right Arm got burnt in the Sun, especially in Summer.
:roll:

there were Two Clocks in the Car - - one in the car radio & one in the dashboard,
- the one in the dashboard was the easiest to adjust, so that was for DST / summer & the Radio was for winter.
that was a long time ago & we don't have 'DST Trials' anymore. . . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

I have one of those darnfangled clocks which set themselves on time automatically by radio ... whenever it wants to. It is still on winter time and there's nothing I can do about it. Some day it will receive orders from Moscow and set itself an hour ahead. Maybe by then we will be close to returning to regular standard time but it will change back some weeks late. It's like I have a retarded clock. It is worse than no clock because you are never sure. It has a nice thermometer though and that's why I keep it.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

originally the concept of Daylight Savings Time was a bad idea.
It had it's place I suppose, but the intended goals never were reached.

I am a proponent of all peoples of the world using only GMT (or whatever that is called these days)

The sun is my clock
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

sdibaja wrote:
I am a proponent of all peoples of the world using only GMT (or whatever that is called these days)

The sun is my clock
I think what you mean is local time. That is, wherever you are, when the sun is directly overhead, it is noon. I think I am 7 hours behind GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) so instead of it being 9:20 a.m. I'd have to say it was 4:20 p.m. if everybody had to go by GMT. Not a good thing. :wink:
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Schultz wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:19 am I think what you mean is local time.
I think there is some confusion here. "Local time" is definitely out for obvious reasons. I think he means standard time. But, in any case, using Universal Time (UT) which is what GMT is now, would make a lot of sense. That is what the military and other organizations which have to operate in many time zones do. They call it Z or Zulu. It saves all that crap about "if my flight leaves London at 1:34 local time and takes 6:25 to get to New York, what time will it be in new York when I arrive?" I can be in Brazil and you can be in Bangkok and our boss can be in Paris but he can say we will have a conference call at 5:40 Z and there is no doubt and no room for error.

Some people say "I could not get used to having breakfast at 3 AM. Well, in that case in the southern hemisphere they should switch the calendar by six months and celebrate Christmas in winter like gawd intended.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Schultz wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:19 am
sdibaja wrote:

The sun is my clock
I think what you mean is local time. That is, wherever you are, when the sun is directly overhead, it is noon. I think I am 7 hours behind GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) so instead of it being 9:20 a.m. I'd have to say it was 4:20 p.m. if everybody had to go by GMT. Not a good thing. :wink:
4:20 is always good!
The thought I actually meant to convey is that I would prefer that we all had our Clocks at GMT... so we can easily sync with each other around the world... 16:20 GMT is 16:20 GMT
as far as my day to day life, the Sun directs my little world... Dawn to Dusk, regardless of what the readout is on any of these silly machines. ;-)
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

OK, time to nitpick.

GMT is no longer used and UTC is used instead.

Universal Time is what is used by the military and other big organizations.

And it is "Daylight Saving Time" and not "Daylight Savings Time".
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

GS3 wrote:
And it is "Daylight Saving Time" and not "Daylight Savings Time".
Thanks for pointing out the correct name. However, to me it just sounds better with "savings."
Daylight saving time (abbreviated DST), sometimes referred to as daylight savings time in U.S., Canadian, and Australian speech, . . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

If we're "saving" all this daylight, when can we get to use it? Does that mean that we can run our solar panels on all the "saved" daylight on cloudy days? :mrgreen:
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Since i was a young boy, i was always perplexed by this nonsense of churning the clocks back and forth...i was taught in school that Ben Franklin was an early proponent of daylight saving time because with America being at the time an agrarian society, that this was beneficial for farmers...my question for my teacher was "did anyone tell the cows that their milking time is now going to be changed twice a year?...not to mention feeding times etc."...she of course had no reasonable answer that could satisfy a 7 yr old boy...DAMIEN
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

- We have to change the clock this weekend
- Crap
- Officially at 3 am
- Fine
:lol: :lol:
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:17 pm i was taught in school that Ben Franklin was an early proponent of daylight saving time because with America being at the time an agrarian society, that this was beneficial for farmers...my question for my teacher was "did anyone tell the cows that their milking time is now going to be changed twice a year?...not to mention feeding times etc."...
Exactly.
Any farmers on here? Do you have bell-to-bell working, clocking in and out and specific, rigid working times? Or do you work according to available daylight?

... & @ Boile1961 :lol:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
PETR0NIUS

Post by PETR0NIUS »

Why do we have clocks in the first place? To establish a STANDARD by which we can coordinate our activities. DST is utter madness. The Bureau of Standards should have squashed this thing because it perverts the meaning of the word "Standard". What if I decided to alter any other standard? Let's just say.... linear distance. (sorry officer, I wasn't really speeding because I use a different standard)
Like it/hate it? ummmmm, it's more like "What a bunch of maroons"!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

PETR0NIUS wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:07 am Why do we have clocks in the first place? To establish a STANDARD by which we can coordinate our activities. DST is utter madness. The Bureau of Standards should have squashed this thing because it perverts the meaning of the word "Standard". What if I decided to alter any other standard? Let's just say.... linear distance. (sorry officer, I wasn't really speeding because I use a different standard)
Like it/hate it? ummmmm, it's more like "What a bunch of maroons"!
Well spoken, Arbiter Elegantiae! :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

In the 90s I had an assignment in Japan. I was telling a Japanese person about DST. He thought I was kidding him. He told me that time of day is based on the earth's relationship to the sun and "even the USA can't change that." What could I say? So . . . . no DST in Japan.

Return to “Open Chat”